Need help with Oil Seal

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peanut

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I need help deciphering oil seal measurements. Problem - leaking oil seal on the pto shaft of my tractor, a Massey 451. The part is not available from Agco (massey rep in US). This leaves me trying to find something that will work from industrial suppliers.

I called the nearest massey dealer and spoke to their parts guy. He told me the seal wasn't available. Also told me... On a parts diagram, under the description of the seal was the following number...

079.433x60.325mm

What this number means? I don't know... Anyone have experience with oil seals, know what this number means?

I haven't pulled the old seal out yet because the tractor will be down hard at that point. Leaking oil the tractor is still usable. I’m trying to avoid pulling it until I have replacement parts in my hand.

Here’s a page of metric oil seals at my favorite id supplier. I don’t see a correlation between this page and the number I have. There may not be one.

https://www.mcmaster.com/products/metric-oil-seals/
20230801_pto seal.jpg

I need help deciphering oil seal measurements. Problem - leaking oil seal on the pto shaft of my tractor, a Massey 451. The part is not available from Agco (massey rep in US). This leaves me trying to find something that will work from industrial suppliers.

I called the nearest massey dealer and spoke to their parts guy. He told me the seal wasn't available. Also told me... On a parts diagram, under the description of the seal was the following number...

079.433x60.325mm

What this number means? I don't know... Anyone have experience with oil seals, know what this number means?

I haven't pulled the old seal out yet because the tractor will be down hard at that point. Leaking oil the tractor is still usable. I’m trying to avoid pulling it until I have replacement parts in my hand.

Here’s a page of metric oil seals at my favorite id supplier. I don’t see a correlation between this page and the number I have. There may not be one.

https://www.mcmaster.com/products/metric-oil-seals/
View attachment 113346
What's wrong with this one?:dunno:
Screenshot_20230804-205553.png

@Supervisor42 I found that earlier... under the models listed, only goes to 398. Even though it says 451 at the top. Anyway, left me doubting it was the correct seal.

It's been many years since I had to replace a seal, trying not to make assumptions. I'll put them on my call list for monday.

The zero at the start of the number is throwing me also... 079.433x60.325mm

The guy read the number off his drawing, I read it back twice to be sure I wrote it down correctly.

Thanks guys... I've found 2 seals tonight that are supposed to fit. More than I managed to accomplish yesterday and today.

Since there is still doubt... I want to order a seal but i think I should take the tractor to a guy down the road that works on logging equipment, tractors etc. Let him do the work. If i get the correct seal he should be done in an hour.

However, if i replace the part myself and run into problems i'm sure he'll help. But if my tractor is taking up space in his shop he'll be even more motivated get the tractor running.;) Shouldn't cost much if i bring him the parts.

Went to see the guy today and got a plan together to get the massey fixed. He’s bringing a trac hoe up this way tomorrow, gonna drop it off. On his way back the trailer will be empty. He’ll stop here for the Massey.

I just got the tractor ready for transport. Then backed it under the shed so if need be I can push it up on the trailer with the old tractor (ford). Shouldn’t be necessary but I don’t like leaving things up to chance.

He wants to pull the old seal out first, thinks he can find a replacement by numbers on the seal. If not… we’ll use the websites posted here, thanks again. :)

An hour to get him to fix it would be well worth it to me. With the heat factored in, no question.
Glad you found what u needed. RPD mentioned O'REILLYs. NAPA may be an option to.

I found hundreds of seals on the napa website, it's on my list.

I just got the tractor ready for transport. Then backed it under the shed so if need be I can push it up on the trailer with the old tractor (ford). Shouldn’t be necessary but I don’t like leaving things up to chance.

What, Peanut, you can't manually PUSH that tractor up the ramp like Hulk Hogan or Ah-nold Schwarzenegger? You forget your Wheaties again? 🤣

Latest posts

Back