Need help with unknown abbreviation of a measurement.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sparky_D

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Screenshot_20230705_124917.jpg

Trying to figure out what the measurement is for the Lemon and the Baking Amonia.

Anyone have a clue?

Thanks

Well " means the same as as in ditto marks, but my Google-Fu has failed so far on the Cls' or Cts. Maybe a typo for cups? is it an American recipe? maybe its metric?

2 cups
1 cup
1 pint (?) (or part) That is an "open" P but I don't know what is being measured so don't know what is applicable.
5 tsp or cents
5 tsp or cents

If you could share a pix of the whole recipe, I might do better. I've read quite a bit of old scribe so it gets easier as I read the piece - no guarantees of course 😁

ETA: the writer of the recipe most likely went to school in the mid-late 1800's judging by the script. Must be an old recipe.

You could zoom out on the recipe picture so you can see all the ingredients and quantities, then do some Google searches for ammonia cookies to find ones with similar ingredients. From there, you might be able to figure out your unknown measurements from "context clues" in the Google'd recipes.

From your recipe, I couldn't even tell you how many eggs you're supposed to use. Is that supposed to be a "3" (with the bottom curve closed into a loop)? That's not a number (or a letter) that I've ever seen.

I agree with others that seeing the whole recipe would help. If you're trying to use it as written, and it is cents you'll never be able to convert it to modern measurements. First problem is liquid (lemon oil) and dry ingredient (baking ammonia) scale differently.

I would try to substitute another leavening agent (baking soda/baking powder). That baking ammonia is on the spendy side. You can get it on King Arthur's baking website for about $10 for about 2 oz. I would also try using lemon extract rather than what I'm assuming is lemon essential oil.

Showing us the whole recipe would be helpful.

It looks to me to possibly be 5 inches of baking chocolate? Or 5 count baking chocolate. Baking chocolate is often in squares, connected together. If you break up a baking chocolate bar and use 5 of the squares, this might be what the recipe is asking for.

Latest posts

Back