Neighbors

Discussion in 'Off grid power' started by katlupe, Dec 9, 2017.

Help Support Homesteading Forum by donating using the link above.
  1. Aug 12, 2018 #31

katlupe

katlupe

katlupe

Awesome Friend Neighbor Contributor

I am thinking of doing just that. I had left my canning supplies and garden seeds at my house with my husband. I just told him last night, I want to get all those and will start with some easy herbs.

Angie, Patchouli, Weedygarden and 3 others like this.
  2. Aug 12, 2018 #32

Sonny Barrett

Sonny Barrett

Sonny Barrett

Super Friend Neighbor

You have paid your dues ,, you have the voice of experience and most of all ,,,, you are a survivor

Angie, Patchouli, Weedygarden and 4 others like this.
  3. Aug 19, 2018 #33

katlupe

katlupe

katlupe

You know it wasn't so much that I minded this life off the grid. If we had just stuck with that and not spent so much time on building a barn and getting horses, but fixed the house first. Then if we wanted a barn we could build one. But the thing is that we didn't really need horses. And we could have survived without clearing so much of the land. The house could have been remodeled and been nicer, water brought inside right from the start. It was hard the way I lived, but a big part was spending money on the system as parts would need repair or upgrading. And of course, my husband was in a bad accident and almost killed so he ended up on disability. It wasn't like he made me live like that, to be honest, I wanted to live that lifestyle even more than he did. Just a lot of regrets now.

Angie, Patchouli, Weedygarden and 4 others like this.
  4. Aug 20, 2018 #34

The Lazy L

The Lazy L

The Lazy L

Old Cowpoke Neighbor Contributor

Read story about a husband talking to a Marriage Counselor. Husband couldn't figure out why is why was so depressed. After the Counselor had talked to the wife he had an answer for the Husband. "Fixed the kitchen ASAP!"

"Well I'm planning to but that is where my workbench and where I keep my tools. Once all the other rooms are finished then I'll add on a garage and move the workbench and tools out there and then finish the kitchen." And the husband didn't want any debt so a room wasn't completed until the money for it was in hand. So the house remodeling was a several years project.

The Counselor answered, "How would you like it if every time you wanted to remodel you would have to move and rearrange kitchen post and pans, knives, appliance and no clean workbench to work on?" Husband shooock his head, "No". "That is exactly what your wife haves to deal with every time she cooks a meal. No place to prepare the food, wash the sawdust of the dishes every time she wants to use them and she knows she'll have to do this for years?"

The husband understood and finished the kitchen first instead of last.

I kept this in mind when we bought our first house. Built the garage first, totally remodeled the kitchen second and the rest of the house after that. Good thing too because 25 years later I was about 75% done.

5. Aug 20, 2018 #35

katlupe

katlupe

katlupe

I could relate to this as soon as I started reading it. I'd send it to my husband but don't want to start a fight. We are friends at the moment.

Dani, Patchouli, Weedygarden and 3 others like this.
  6. Aug 30, 2018 #36

Meerkat

Meerkat

Meerkat

Guess it was a bad idea. So I deleted it.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2018
    Weedygarden likes this.
  7. Aug 30, 2018 #37

Meerkat

Meerkat

Meerkat

Same thing.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2018
    Weedygarden likes this.
  8. Sep 23, 2018 #38

mosquitomountainman

mosquitomountainman

mosquitomountainman

Super Friend Neighbor Contributor

Our cabin is off-grid with solar power. Our motor home (we are snowbirds now) is solar powered including the electric refrigerator. Our 5th wheel is solar powered (just got it this summer) but has a propane fridge. Our "woods" camper (converted 14 foot U-Haul) is solar powered. Our camper van (for cross country tripping) is solar powered. Wouldn't hook onto the grid if we were paid to do it.

9. Sep 26, 2018 #39

katlupe

katlupe

katlupe

I used to say that too, but the best thing I did was to leave there. I have never been this happy before. Everybody is different and has different needs and health issues.

10. Oct 2, 2018 #40

Meerkat

Meerkat

Meerkat

Happy for you Kat and glad you found peace. Also glad to see you back here,where you been?

Weedygarden likes this.
  11. Oct 2, 2018 #41

Amish Heart

Amish Heart

Amish Heart

Awesome Friend Neighbor Neighbor Contributor

I think everyone changes depending on where they are in their life. I grew up in a major city and was fine with that. Then got married and moved to beachfront and loved it. Then husband took a 2 yr job in Europe and that was good, too. Arriving in the desert 20 yrs ago was good. Now I'm ready for farming. Too bad I'm old.

Caribou, Angie, Terri9630 and 3 others like this.
  12. Oct 2, 2018 #42

Flight

Flight

Flight

Just a Canadian trucker...awesome one Neighbor Contributor

13. Oct 2, 2018 #43

Meerkat

Meerkat

Meerkat

That may be true Flight, but at our age we get reminded not to push too hard or our number will be up for good.

Caribou, Angie, Weedygarden and 4 others like this.
  14. Oct 2, 2018 #44

Sewingcreations15

Sewingcreations15

Sewingcreations15

@Amish Heart you are far from old that I can tell you :) . We are near on the same vintage bar a couple of years and I don't feel old yet although my muscles scream earlier than they used to with pain doing heavy work :) .

15. Oct 3, 2018 #45

Amish Heart

Amish Heart

Amish Heart

Awesome Friend Neighbor Neighbor Contributor

Well, old or not, I'd rather be a farmer. Or a minifarmer. Right now I guess I'm an acre farmer, so that's ok.

Angie, Weedygarden, Terri9630 and 2 others like this.
  16. Oct 3, 2018 #46

Meerkat

Meerkat

Meerkat

Well that to me is a lot of farm. We mainly use raised beds and greenhouse containers. We did use hydroponics for past 6 or 6 years but closed them down last year.

We have fairly good neighbors though. Nobody bothers anyoen but soem will help

Caribou and Weedygarden like this.
  17. Oct 4, 2018 #47

Weedygarden

Weedygarden

Weedygarden

Growing up in small town with a narcissistic family, I grabbed the opportunities that came my way, but took me to big cities. Decades ago, I worked on a plan to live with an uncle on his ranch, and become a farm woman. He encouraged me to, and he could have used the partnership, as could I have. I had been offered a teaching job, so I could have had an income and been able to develop a herd of cattle and more. That was until his narcissism start coming out and he wasn't easy to be around. He had always had a bad temper and I wasn't going to jump into that fire. I moved 1000 miles away.

Terri9630, The Lazy L and Angie like this.