Net Neutrality ought to be opposed by gun owners

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Masterguns

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
There is an interesting linked article that was in the Guns.com weekly newsletter today. It was written before the FCC eliminated net neutrality. It argues that the gun industry and gun owners have a stake in the game because now an internet Service Provider can block access to the Internet of certain types of coummunications with only the burden of reporting the action to the FTC not the FCC.

The article posits that such authority could prevent a communication like Guns.com delivering content on the Internet. From that it seems that forums like this one could also be blocked. So if Verizon or Comcast or other ISPs succumb to anti 2A pressure they night shut down access to 2A proponents. It is brief but thought provoking read. See it here:
http://www.guns.com/2017/12/13/why-second-amendment-advocates-should-support-net-neutrality/

Only Congress can reverse the FCC action. I’ be writing to my state representative and senator today.

Should the Thread title be
Net Neutrality REPEAL ought to be opposed by gun owners?

Should the Thread title be
Net Neutrality REPEAL ought to be opposed by gun owners?

I would like to reAd your opinion exp.Ining why you think as you do. I am open minded and so interested in any thing that might change my mind.

Net Neutrality IS opposed by this gun owner.

:smilie flag:

The thread title is opposite of what the article is about without the word 'repeal' in it..

Net Neutrality IS opposed by this gun owner.

:smilie flag:

As a I did of rich r, I ask why you take that position? I am open to having my my mind changed.

Net Neutrality is the opposite of what it sounds like. It gives much more control to the government and regulates the internet like a utility. Nope. I have zero interest in allowing the government to control anything, much less the internet.

If you like your internet, you can keep your internet. Trust us. We’re from the government. We’re here to help. :ROLF:

EasyCZ,
I understand your point, but can you provide an example of how the Government abuses it control of the Internet whe Net Neutrality was in force? I ask because I don’t know of any abuses, but maybe I missed them.

If you are more comfortable having giant corporations control access to the most used avanue of communication in the US, then so be it. I distrust big corporate America about as much as you distrust the government.

I would consider myself a militant centrist, net neutrality there is no counter arguement, we must have it for a healthy democracy. Telecom should almost be a public utility or COOP system at this point, if not, then we can't allow these monopolies to dictate at what speed we view what we want. They could even block access. People like me have 1 Internet provider, that's it, I have a single Internet provider to my house and it's in the form of a Government provided monopoly from the 1996 Telecom Act. All opposition has been funded by the telecom companies or the argument is out in the left field. From a reality standpoint, it's an issue that every American should be willing to protest for.

I’ll take the free market over federal government regulation any day of the week.

I’ll take the free market over federal government regulation any day of the week.

Whoever controls the means of distribution controls the access to information that should be available to the entire public. I have not seen the federal government shut down any information provider in this country. Applying a blanket principle like you have to a situation where ai can find no government babuse seem misplaced to me. I honestly do not trust Verizon and Comcast, which control the majoritY of Internet Access now, to be fair and protective of the right os people to know.

4236F139-EFA6-4E66-AC2B-44E5CAC6DE9A.jpeg

Net Neutrality was an Obama regime FCC power grab. Plain and simple. It claimed to regulate the internet, over which it had absolutely no jurisdiction. It was the unhinged and radicalized left’s opening salvo in a plan to cleanse the internet of conservative thought and voices.

Wasn’t trying to inflame an argument. If I had an opinion on on it, I would offer it. I was honestly confused by the thread title with the linked article. I just don’t know enough about this issue and I’m trying to gather as much info as I can. Will sit back and red the opinions of why net neutrality was good/bad. And why it’s repeal is good/bad.

IMO Easycz is right about the real intent of net neutrality. The word regulate should be replaced with the word censorship. Google the biggest search engine for the internet is in the perfect position to censor who gets seen and who goes out of business on the internet. No doubt the main idea of protection by net neutrality, throttling, was not even stopped from happening. I think this FCC negating Net Neutrality is about a big joke because if the FCC had the power to do that then why wasn't the FCC able to stop it in the first place? Seems to me the FCC was over ruled by a vote in the beginning so how is the FCC trying to say they can now shut down Net Neutrality? It is all a big fricking scam of tom foolery on the people. Typical song and dance to keep the people totally confused to the point they don't give a **** what happens.
In the first place the FCC doesn't supervise/control the internet and never did. As usual the people have no idea who is really up at bat, who is on first or if the bases are loaded. It seems the rules have changed and foul balls are unlimited. If the rules change and nobody gets to see all the rules then the game is rigged. We get to see games but the games behind closed doors that really count we don't get to see.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/mar/14/icann-internet-control-domain-names-iana

Holly he’ll Buster,

You did it. For those who have no,idea of what I am talking about get this. Buster and I have a history of,polio but so,times intense disagreement in the old forum. If someone said to me that buster would change my mind I would ask what they were smoking.

Buster posted the Guardian article. The guardian is one of the media sources I respect. Unlike the Breitbart, The NY Times, Fox, and MSNBC I think the Guardian has no agenda but to report facts and reasonable opinion. Well the article buster linked to made me agree that the recent FCC action to repeal Net Neutrality I was actually a good thing to do.

So thank you buster, but don’t think this gets you a reprieve from this only old guy’s in your face style of disagreement. Your special buster. you really are even though I think you are often wrong. Have a great holiday season.

I have no need for reprieve. Many people know things I don't know and I respect that. I also know about some things that others can't accept. I don't concern myself with what others can't understand or refuse to accept. All I can do is put it out there. Old saying, you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink it. I understand people don't want to hear that what they have been led to believe is sometimes totally crap.
Old saying........you can fool some of the people all the time but you can't fool all the people all the time. Einstein once said it is easier to fool someone than it is to convince them that they have been fooled. I have to laugh that Einstein surely found that out from experience.

YES !.......... We want Net Neutrality.......
The principle that Internet service providers should enable access to all content and applications regardless of the source, and without favoring or blocking particular products or websites.

Latest posts

Back