New-fangled Cambodian fish trap

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grizzleyette___Adams

Hermit on the mountain
Neighbor
Demonstrated by two boys, using PVC pipes:

Notes from some of the comments from some Youtube readers:

It appears that this is in a body of water (tidal pool?) where the tide will raise the level of water.

The bait may have been some fresh or dried small fish.

Another PVC trap for larger fish (I would imagine this would work well with large diameter bamboo, which may have been used in the days before PVC):

A simple box type fish trap will work better for most fish in America. These types of traps (the ones in the video) work well for filter and bottom feeders but not very well on bass trout or other predatory fish.I have used twigs and twine to make box traps for fish and small animals and always thought that the same trap would also work for large game too. You have to use stones to make a wood trap sink into the water but they don't require bait or maintenance and work 24/7 for as long as it is in the water. For small game you have to check it often because squirrels and most other small game will chew through it if you allow them enough time. The advantage of these traps over snares and dead-falls is that the animals are alive so you don't worry about spoilage.

A simple box type fish trap will work better for most fish in America. These types of traps (the ones in the video) work well for filter and bottom feeders but not very well on bass trout or other predatory fish.I have used twigs and twine to make box traps for fish and small animals and always thought that the same trap would also work for large game too. You have to use stones to make a wood trap sink into the water but they don't require bait or maintenance and work 24/7 for as long as it is in the water. For small game you have to check it often because squirrels and most other small game will chew through it if you allow them enough time. The advantage of these traps over snares and dead-falls is that the animals are alive so you don't worry about spoilage.

I can rig a trap with a box,stick,and a string! Haha

Yep! we used to trap birds in the back yard with a box trap like that. Then the Red Wing Blackbirds showed up. They landed on top of the box and jumped up and down until it fell and then ate the bait around the trap. Blackbirds and crows will figure traps out and find a way to beat them every time.

Latest posts

Back