New Member Introduction

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeorgiaPeachie

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
Happy morning to all! I’m a current member on DPF. Thought I would introduce myself to you folks.

Being retired, I have lots of time to do what I like, which is gardening and taking care of my animals. I am blessed to have a wonderful husband and large family. An Ohio girl who was raised on a farm and in a branch of the Quaker faith. Hubby and I have lots of grandchildren who are growing up way to fast!

Looking forward to getting to know everyone here!

Welcome from Alaska.

I appreciate the welcome! Alaska has always fascinated me. It’s the sheer beauty and desolate huge areas. Luv your name! Am a sourdough bread maker myself. Have spoiled hubby and he doesn’t ever want to go without it…so I bake a few at a time, vacuum seal and freeze.

We are close Bacpacker! At least if you are on the East side of Tennessee! I could walk there. Will be very interested in talking gardening with you!
Yep I'm in the eastern side. But up toward Knoxville. You must be closer to Chatanooga?
There are a bunch of gardeners on here. Some very traditional in the ground type stuff. Some very much geared to their unique situations. And a lot of in-between.

Thank you Morgan! So nice to see you here!!

This is a very good place. Very nice people, all respectful of each other, and that was very imporant to me. A wealth of information, so if you have questions ask away and someone will help. Looking forward to your posts. :)

Welcome from Alaska!

I appreciate the welcome! Alaska has always fascinated me. It’s the sheer beauty and desolate huge areas. Luv your name! Am a sourdough bread maker myself. Have spoiled hubby and he doesn’t ever want to go without it…so I bake a few at a time, vacuum seal and freeze.

"Sourdough" is a badge of respect.
In Alaska, the term “sourdough” refers to someone who has lived in the state for several winters. Historically, it was associated with early prospectors and homesteaders who relied on sourdough as a consistent source of food during the gold rushes and frontier days. These long-time residents are affectionately called “sourdoughs,” emphasizing their experience and connection to Alaska’s history.

The nickname even inspired Robert Service’s collection of poems titled "Songs of a Sourdough". So, when someone is referred to as a “sourdough,” it signifies their deep ties to the Alaskan way of life.

Latest posts

Back