New rifle

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The S&W 500 , 4" barrel, is a flame throwing piece a cake. ( Definitely not for recoil sensitive )
50cal.jpg

TC Encores are very dangerous to eye sockets .
They recoil viciously , especially this one in 300 WM. It WILL. fracture an eye socket. ( Also not for squeamish about recoil). The pistol grip stock amplifies recoil for some reason.
encore2.JPG
encore.jpg

Jim

The S&W 500 , 4" barrel, is a flame throwing piece a cake. ( Definitely not for recoil sensitive )
View attachment 78786

TC Encores are very dangerous to eye sockets .
They recoil viciously , especially this one in 300 WM. It WILL. fracture an eye socket. ( Also not for squeamish about recoil). The pistol grip stock amplifies recoil for some reason.
View attachment 78787View attachment 78788

Jim
If it needs a 300 WM to kill it, then I don't need to be hunting it. I believe I'll leave that one alone. The Smith in the top picture looks like a dragon just burped. Yikes...

I grew up with .44 mags loaded hot or maybe I should say HOT! So I wasn't much impressed with the S&W .500 I shot. It was nice enough just not worth the expense over and above a quality .44mag for the difference in what they could do. Just my opinion!

The .44 mag is certainly a potent caliber, but compared to the .500 mag there's a big difference ballisticly. Muzzle energy for the .44 mag is around 900 ft-lb, while the 500 mag is 2300 ft-lb. Velocity is 1300 vs 1700 ft-sec. Of course either round can be loader "hotter" to increase these numbers, and a lot of variables need to be taken in to account too. But loading a .44 mag to equal the .500 mag ballisticly could be hazardous.
Both rounds are very good at doing what they were designed to do. I bought my 500 S&W for bear protection in Alaska because I wanted the best tool available for the job.

The .44 mag is certainly a potent caliber, but compared to the .500 mag there's a big difference ballisticly. Muzzle energy for the .44 mag is around 900 ft-lb, while the 500 mag is 2300 ft-lb. Velocity is 1300 vs 1700 ft-sec. Of course either round can be loader "hotter" to increase these numbers, and a lot of variables need to be taken in to account too. But loading a .44 mag to equal the .500 mag ballisticly could be hazardous.
Both rounds are very good at doing what they were designed to do. I bought my 500 S&W for bear protection in Alaska because I wanted the best tool available for the job.

Sounds reasonable for the situation. Here a .44 does all I need and more so to me it doesn't make sense for me.

I use to carry a Dan Wesson .44mag daily now a 1911 I got older and lazier! or maybe it was tireder haha

The 500 S&W Magnum was designed for only one reason. S&W wanted to hold the title of having the "most powerful production handgun" in the world.It started with the 357 Magnum and then Remington took it with the 44 magnum, then is was the 454 Casull and it continued to the 500 magnum. This gun wasn't expected to sell well. It was expected to be too much gun to be used for any real purpose. S&W failed to consider the mindset of the "bigger is better" group of human shooters and the egos of the shooters who actually believe that a gun can make up for their other shortcomings. Grizzly bears were killed with black powder deer rifles by the Lewis and Clarke expedition members so it really isn't necessary to have a S&W 500 magnum to dispatch even the largest bruins (the largest on record was killed with a single shot from a 22 rimfire rifle). They (the bears) are large and a one shot kill requires nerve and skill and above all knowing where to place the bullet for an immediate kill.

So for a short time at least Smith and Wesson holds the title of the manufacturer of the most powerful production handgun in the world.
All it would take to take the record is for Remington to make a case that is 2.0" long with a cartridge OAL of 2.5". Whether the added power of the new Remington 500 Maximum would matter less than the "ballistic" advantages of the new 6 shot revolver would be forgotten as the title was transferred to Remington.

Sounds reasonable for the situation. Here a .44 does all I need and more so to me it doesn't make sense for me.

I use to carry a Dan Wesson .44mag daily now a 1911 I got older and lazier! or maybe it was tireder haha
Agreed 100%. I really don't have any use for the 500 mag anymore and I'm thinking about selling it. I do like shooting it though, and its surprisingly accurate for a 3" barrel.

The 500 S&W Magnum was designed for only one reason. S&W wanted to hold the title of having the "most powerful production handgun" in the world.It started with the 357 Magnum and then Remington took it with the 44 magnum, then is was the 454 Casull and it continued to the 500 magnum. This gun wasn't expected to sell well. It was expected to be too much gun to be used for any real purpose. S&W failed to consider the mindset of the "bigger is better" group of human shooters and the egos of the shooters who actually believe that a gun can make up for their other shortcomings. Grizzly bears were killed with black powder deer rifles by the Lewis and Clarke expedition members so it really isn't necessary to have a S&W 500 magnum to dispatch even the largest bruins (the largest on record was killed with a single shot from a 22 rimfire rifle). They (the bears) are large and a one shot kill requires nerve and skill and above all knowing where to place the bullet for an immediate kill.

So for a short time at least Smith and Wesson holds the title of the manufacturer of the most powerful production handgun in the world.
All it would take to take the record is for Remington to make a case that is 2.0" long with a cartridge OAL of 2.5". Whether the added power of the new Remington 500 Maximum would matter less than the "ballistic" advantages of the new 6 shot revolver would be forgotten as the title was transferred to Remington.
I've seen a lot of brown bears take multiple shots with a high powered rifle to be put down. Yes, a smaller caliber may work, buy why use a jewlers hammer when a sledgehammer is much more effective? It a comes down to personal choice. The safety of my family and myself in bear country was worth getting the best tool for the job.
I like the question, why a 500 magnum? Because nobody makes a 600 magnum. Yet.

Any gun larger than 50 caliber is considered a destructive device and require a class 3 permit, like a 22mm AA rifle.

Latest posts

Back