New to prepping

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aerindel
"You should also note, dry goods, kept dry NEVER become inedible. What does happen is that nutrition decreases. Calories stay the same, but vitamin content and taste are reduced. Beans will become hard and won't soften when cooked eventually the only thing you can do with them is grind them up."

Some of you will remember Y2K, the end of the world as we know it, but It did not happen. Smart people prep their way though it & were ready for the worse. We did not, oh we gardened & canned, but not because of Y2K, it was the thing we were taught to do for health & to save money.
A handicap friend worried she would run out of food & die. So she bought a lot of #10 cans of dry goods, she use the product after the Y2K was pasted with out harm 2001. She gave use some of the dry beans, & they were "hard and won't soften when cooked", I never knew what the problem was.
Thanks, Aerindel.

I saw this video and it reminded me of how I have shopped at Costco and even the grocery store for prepping. He hits the categories to shop each time. What if you don't have a Costco, Sam's, Aldi's or similar store? I take the categories and purchase in a similar way. For instance, the vegetables usually come in a 12 pack at Costco. I have usually purchased loose cans of what is on sale at the grocery store, but have recently, thanks to Amish Heart, started purchasing flats (box of 12) of whatever is on sale.

I saw this video and it reminded me of how I have shopped at Costco and even the grocery store for prepping. He hits the categories to shop each time. What if you don't have a Costco, Sam's, Aldi's or similar store? I take the categories and purchase in a similar way. For instance, the vegetables usually come in a 12 pack at Costco. I have usually purchased loose cans of what is on sale at the grocery store, but have recently, thanks to Amish Heart, started purchasing flats (box of 12) of whatever is on sale.

Well, I certainly agree with the categories. We have all of those things in our stores, but I have opted to store more dry goods. Boullion cubes, dry soups and Ramen noodles are cheaper and easier to store than canned soup. Powdered Peanut Butter has a much longer shelf life than regular peanut butter. Where there is an option, I will go dry.

Is it worth $120.00 to shop at costco?
It is to me. At the end of our membership year we get a rebate that is close to our dues, sometimes more sometimes less. Add to that the savings on food, tires, etc.

Is it worth $120.00 to shop at costco?
I don't have the $120 membership. I have the cheaper one. Isn't it $50 or $60? There are many things that I like about Costco. You can buy in bulk without anyone questioning why you are buying a 12 pack of canned green beans. Much of what they sell is organic. I have to tell you, I am not an organic fanatic, but if that is what they sell, wonderful. I have had memberships at both Sam's and Costco. When you compare the two of them, at least the closest ones to me, something about Sam's is lacking, and I cannot exactly put my finger on it. The store closest to me is a little dirty and long before the shortages, they had vacant spots in the store.

Last edited:
I don't have the $120 membership. I have the cheaper one. Isn't it $50 or $60?
The $60 membership is good if you don't buy too much. With the $120 membership you get 2% back. I am always more than willing to take friends and family as guests on my card. The 2% back is a bonus. If you get over $60 back at the end of the year it is better to get the more expensive membership. If you get $80 back your membership only cost you $40.

Well, I certainly agree with the categories. We have all of those things in our stores, but I have opted to store more dry goods. Boullion cubes, dry soups and Ramen noodles are cheaper and easier to store than canned soup. Powdered Peanut Butter has a much longer shelf life than regular peanut butter. Where there is an option, I will go dry.
In a bug out situation, dry foods would be lighter to move. I have some powdered peanut butter and I have used dry soups. I used to eat ramen noodles, but haven't now in years. I do think they are a good item to have in preps. I have some of the rice noodle packets, like the ramen noodle packets. It was interesting to me how cleared the shelves were in the grocery stores of ramen noodles during the early days of the pandemic. I think it is one thing that even the most inept cook can make. I think some college kids live mainly on ramen. They are cheap and easy to cook and there are many ways to doctor them up.

Latest posts

Back