New Windows "feature" you may want to be aware of

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haertig

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
https://www.axios.com/2024/05/21/microsoft-windows-11-ai-recall-copilot-pc

Yikes! If you haven't made the switch to Linux or Mac, now might be a good time to start investigating that.

Under the hood, Windows will take frequent screenshots, decode text in images and chronicle what's happening in meetings — making it easier to rediscover a moment in time later.

So Windows will be taking screenshots of everything on your computer screen, saving those, and indexing them. Listen in on any meetings you're participating in and save and index all that stuff too.

What could possibly go wrong?!

https://notthebee.com/article/micro...-do-on-your-computer-via-constant-screenshots

If Windows want's to screenshot my destroyers sinking in World of Warships, or Checking into the OH Winlink net, go for it. EVERYTHING else runs through MAC or Linux.

Any hints or tips for shutting it down?

Reading the article, this feature will only be on new PC’s with the software already installed.
Older machines currently in use can not be enabled, they lack a certain item.

Any hints or tips for shutting it down?

When I want to remain "anonymous" (in quotes because you're never truly anonymous), I boot into memory. This is easy in Linux. I don't know if Windows supports that (or how much memory that would take). You'd have to research.

My use case is when accessing the dark web where there is lots of bad stuff, things spying on you, malicious software trying to pry its way into your computer, etc. (very similar to your use case of simply running Windows). So I boot Linux from a thumbdrive and load it totally into memory. I have a 32Gb machine and that is way overkill for Linux, even when loading the whole thing into memory. Windows, I don't know about. I'm guessing that instead of being way overkill, 32Gb might be more like the bare minimum for that OS. After booting, I remove the thumbdrive. FWIW, the time to copy the entirety of Linux to memory is less than one minute when using a fast-ish USB3 thumbdrive. After this, whenever any software tries to "write to disk" it's actually just writing to memory, and that will all disappear when I power down the computer. So if Windows supports boot-to-memory all it's hard work taking screenshots, indexing them, etc. will be for naught when you reboot your computer. You also have to make sure that even if Windows is booted into memory, that it has no ability to mount your hard drive, SSD, thumbdrives, etc. so that it gains a physical location to write to. Again, this is easy in Linux, I don't know about Windows.

One other nice thing about booting into memory, is how Linux manages things. The OS is loaded into a memory "layer", and then any subsequent changes are written to other layers that are stacked on top of the base layer that holds the original load-into-memory. This is great if you want to test out a suspect program before installing it for real on your computer. You install it while booted into memory. Then you can inspect the upper layers - ignoring the base layer - to easily find out what exactly that suspect program did to your computer. You can find every file/directory that was added, deleted, modified, etc. to make a judgement if that suspect program passes muster. I said "easily" before - well, it's easy if you're a Linux guru, but maybe not so intuitive for a Linux newbie. But nonetheless, you can do it.

Actually, now's a good time to buy one or two nice printers to get the information stored on my (Linux) computers off of them for my future consumption.

Windows has always been evil. MacOS, not so much. Linux I trusted back in the day when I actually read the source and compiled from source. I'm married now and have no time for such frivolities. :confused:

Reading the article, this feature will only be on new PC’s with the software already installed.
Older machines currently in use can not be enabled, they lack a certain item.
For me, Windoz Vista® still rulz!!!
80920-mosh.gif

Win98 or 2000
Windows 2000 was the last version that I used on my home computers. I had used Linux at home before then (as a dual boot setup), and used (and continued to use) Unix at work. But after Windows 2000 I switched totally to Linux at home. For my computers that is. The wife still runs Windows on her laptop and on her Day Trading desktop computer.

XP forever.

It is said that in a few years, you will no longer have a storage drive in your PC except for the OS.
I do not trust nor like this "cloud" crap. Maybe I don't want the world to know I like guns, Asian women, or smoke pot? Maybe I'm pretty quiet about my political or religious beliefs. I don't want some hacker or alphabet soup butt-boy searching through my stuff!

It is said that in a few years, you will no longer have a storage drive in your PC except for the OS.
I already have this partially. But the remote storage is all on my own cloud server and my own file server. Running on my hardware. Totally under my control and off limits to anyone I do not allow in. I don't have a problem with "the cloud" per se, my problem is with third parties offering me cloud services on their hardware, under their control. Their type of cloud is fine, and a good for some things. But my personal data and documents are not one of those things.

The problem I foresee though is backups. All out computers and servers are securely backed up every single day. To my own backup server that I control. This is all well and good, except for the case where I die and my wife lives on. She would not be able to maintain (or probably even use) the infrastructure I have built up. I was in computer science for the vast majority of my career. My wife is in health care. So in my absense, my wife would need a commercially available backup system. And there comes "the cloud". On their servers. I don't like that. But I haven't come up with any other solution to it that I'm happy with. I have done local backups, specifically for my wife to maintain in addition to my server-based backups. She has an external harddisk hooked up to one of her computers for secondary backup. While better then nothing, this is not the ultimate solution. I'm wondering if after all these years, that thing is still functional. I haven't done a "test restore from backup" off of that external hard disk for years. So it hasn't been repeatedly tested, maintained, and verified like a real backup solution needs to be.

Damn, I guess I better continue writing my manifesto on the old type writer.

My tin foil gut tells me that if Microsoft is finally telling us that they are doing it, they have been doing it all along. And every other operating system is doing it too. I watched some technical assets listen in on a conversation broadcast from a cell phone with the battery removed sitting on a table. That was years back when we all thought pulling the battery made us safe and cell phone companies allowed you to remove the battery.

Reactions: Neb

Latest posts

Back