Nut oils

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

randyt

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
There's been talk of cooking oils.
I attended a foragers gathering a few years back. Sam thayer had a demo on hickory nut oil. I was foolish and didn't attend, maybe this year. I bought a bottle of the oil from him to try though.

I didn't attend because hickory is not in my area.
here's a link on hickory nut oil

https://foragerchef.com/sam-thayers-bitternut-hickory-nut-oil/

Short shelf life for hickory nut oil but will keep in the fridge or freezer.
Have you guys talked about coconut oil? It keeps very well and is solid at room temperature, as you probably know.
Sesame oil has an interesting flavor. Note from the www: Once opened, sesame oil will generally last up to six months stored in the pantry, or up to one year when stored in the fridge. A sealed bottle of sesame oil should last around one year in the pantry at room temperature or around two years in the fridge.

One of the reasons I got that contraption is to do almond oil. It is expensive but almonds aren’t too bad ( by comparison).
I guess I would ask how you want to use it. I use almond oil in soaps and lotions. We seldom consume oils (fats yes).

Last edited:
Short shelf life for hickory nut oil but will keep in the fridge or freezer.
Have you guys talked about coconut oil? It keeps very well and is solid at room temperature, as you probably know.
Sesame oil has an interesting flavor. Note from the www: Once opened, sesame oil will generally last up to six months stored in the pantry, or up to one year when stored in the fridge. A sealed bottle of sesame oil should last around one year in the pantry at room temperature or around two years in the fridge.
I have both solid and liquid coconut oil. I love sesame oil and use it in some cooking. I like the flavor it imparts on many foods.

That article is interesting. Thanks, @randyt. We have quite a few bitternuts - I wouldn't have thought they would be good for any foraging.

Cooking oil is something I'd like to be able to produce myself - for both health and preparedness. Due to inflammation I'm restricted to olive oil and avocado oil. But a lot of the negatives of the other oils have to do with the extraction process, not the seeds themselves. One of those home presses is on my wish list. Figured I could grow sunflowers and press them. Never thought about foraging nuts in the woods - feels like a big thunk to my head, lol.

Of course, another self-sustaining cooking oil is rendered pig lard - which is also on my slowing-working-toward-it list.

That article is interesting. Thanks, @randyt. We have quite a few bitternuts - I wouldn't have thought they would be good for any foraging.

Cooking oil is something I'd like to be able to produce myself - for both health and preparedness. Due to inflammation I'm restricted to olive oil and avocado oil. But a lot of the negatives of the other oils have to do with the extraction process, not the seeds themselves. One of those home presses is on my wish list. Figured I could grow sunflowers and press them. Never thought about foraging nuts in the woods - feels like a big thunk to my head, lol.

Of course, another self-sustaining cooking oil is rendered pig lard - which is also on my slowing-working-toward-it list.
It's a shame they really didn't go.into.the process. He had a big wooden motar and pestle that he crushed the nuts with. Then boiled them and skimmed the oil off the top. Interestingly at the native display in the museum of appalachia there is a huge wood motar and pestle.

I will not use vegetable oil for cooking, too many negative health effects. Olive oil - yes, and seems to be healthy.

I've never considered using nut oil, but will look into it. I'm a firm believer that the omaga-3 fatty acids in nuts are great for the body.

I actually use butter, real butter, quite often as a cooking oil.

https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/articles/17290-omega-3-fatty-acids

https://www.nutsforlife.com.au/resource/omega-3-fatty-acids-in-nuts/
Avocado (a stone fruit like olive) oil is a nice alternative to veg. oils. It's milder in flavor than olive.

Latest posts

Back