Oat Milk.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tank-Girl

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I found an awesome oat milk recipe on line that actually tastes nice.

Here oat milk is around $2.90 a litre and I can buy a 1kg bag of generic quick oats for $1.19.

Recipe and method.

1 cup of rolled oats.
1 tablespoon of dried coconut shreds.
2 cups of filtered water.
1 table spoon of maple syrup.
1 small pinch of salt.
Extra water to thin end product.

Put oats, coconut in food processor or blender and add water.
Blend on high speed for 2 to 4 mins.
Strain through a fine mesh sieve.
Add extra water to thin to desired consistency.
Add salt and syrup to taste. You can leave them out but it does taste better with them.

Keeps in the fridge for 3 to 4 days.
This will settle out and needs a good stir before use.
Won't curdle or split in hot drinks like tea like soy milk.
Will thicken up if boiled so it would be good for "creamy" sauces.

I found an awesome oat milk recipe on line that actually tastes nice.

Here oat milk is around $2.90 a litre and I can buy a 1kg bag of generic quick oats for $1.19.

Recipe and method.

1 cup of rolled oats.
1 tablespoon of dried coconut shreds.
2 cups of filtered water.
1 table spoon of maple syrup.
1 small pinch of salt.
Extra water to thin end product.

Put oats, coconut in food processor or blender and add water.
Blend on high speed for 2 to 4 mins.
Strain through a fine mesh sieve.
Add extra water to thin to desired consistency.
Add salt and syrup to taste. You can leave them out but it does taste better with them.

Keeps in the fridge for 3 to 4 days.
This will settle out and needs a good stir before use.
Won't curdle or split in hot drinks like tea like soy milk.
Will thicken up if boiled so it would be good for "creamy" sauces.

Thanks will check into this since we don't drink or use diary milk only almond,soy,coconut store bought. Although we do use butter for lack of better substitute, nothing cooks taste or matches butter,imo. We never use margerine.

I don't understand. I use milk from cows, when I do use milk. Mostly, I use cream from cows.

No cows here only dogs now. And no local dairy so we don't use it. I use Silk milks in my cornbread and pancakes. No milk in my biscuits but I do knead them with butter instead of shortening or lard. Lard made the best biscuits but it doesn't taste right anymore.

No cows here only dogs now. And no local dairy so we don't use it. I use Silk milks in my cornbread and pancakes. No milk in my biscuits but I do knead them with butter instead of shortening or lard. Lard made the best biscuits but it doesn't taste right anymore.
You have to wonder what "they" have done to alter lard? We used to render it when I was a kid, but maybe they are adding something to it to extend it.
One of my cousins who raises cattle had a steer processed. The butcher added some fat to the ground beef, which is commonly done. He said the ground beef from that steer was bad, and they believe it had to do with whatever fat they added. Of course, the butcher can switch out for someone else's beef. All of the people I know in South Dakota are missing the old butchers, who did a great job and had integrity. Now, butchers are not the same and the flavor is not the same. Of course, what the cattle are being fed could make a big difference.

Last edited:
I have never heard of oat milk, interesting. My mom is very allergic to dairy products so she uses almond milk, but this is another good option.

You have to wonder what "they" have done to alter lard? We used to render it when I was a kid, but maybe they are adding something to it to extend it.
One of my cousins who raises cattle had a steer processed. The butcher added some fat to the ground beef, which is commonly done. He said the ground beef from that steer was bad, and they believe it had to do with whatever fat they added. Of course, the butcher can switch our someone else's beef. All of the people I know in South Dakota are missing the old butchers, who did a great job and had integrity. Now, butchers are not the same and the flavor is not the same. Of course, what the cattle are being fed could make a big difference.

Most things don't taste the same because they aren't the same. Meat sure isn't what it use to be unless you do it yourself and feed what nature intended.

I have never heard of oat milk, interesting. My mom is very allergic to dairy products so she uses almond milk, but this is another good option.

Yes I think so too. I use all 3 soy is suppose to replace female hormones :dunno: so I use it every 3nd time.:thumbs up:

Goat milk for me, lactose intolerant people can drink it, taste great, digest in your system in as soon as 20 minutes. Milk from nuts and grains is unnatural, never seen an udder on a plant before. ....

My bad ... I saw Milky oats ... Which I love.

Alternatively, milky oats can be dried and used as a nutritive tonic, and are a beautiful addition to tea blends. Oatstraw is the name given to the stem of the oat plant harvested during the milky oat stage, when it is still green.

Oats are cheaper than almonds.
DW said she has made Oat milk,Rice milk & Almond milk.
She said all are good, I am a cows milk guy, but I like almond milk.
I was raised on raw milk, one of my many chores, was to gather the raw cows milk twice a day.

Goat milk for me, lactose intolerant people can drink it, taste great, digest in your system in as soon as 20 minutes. Milk from nuts and grains is unnatural, never seen an udder on a plant before. ....

I just had to post this:

Almond-Milking.jpg

Latest posts

Back