October 4th. What’s really going on?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I notice this as well. did anything happen last time?
I visit quite a few forums and the conspiracy folks are going absolutely NUTS over this.
Some of the responses are truly far fetched.

I don't know what is gaining on on the 4th. I do know that the government will know who answers and where you are. I don't know if they have an ulterior motive. I do know that I don't trust them. I will do my best to block their signal. I turned off everything but the national alerts which is not an available option. Battery removal is an option.

Doesn't anyone else remember? It was on oct 3, when tested in 2018. It was a trump problem then.. An article by Scientific American was titled... How Will Trump’s Emergency Text Alerts Work?

The msm went nuts when this happened, ran stories for days... never ending trump bashing...

Just a few reports from that time...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Aside from the title this article is informative... It details changes to the system under Bush and obummer and Trump. the rest of the article is on the website.

Scientific American

How Will Trump’s Emergency Text Alerts Work?

The president plans to send a test message in a system that would notify Americans of an imminent attack or other catastrophe

By Dina Fine Maron

Responding to fears of an imminent Soviet nuclear attack, in 1951 Pres. Harry Truman set up a national system enabling the president to quickly notify the public of an impending national security threat via a cross-country relay chain of AM radio stations. It used characteristic blaring warning tones and became a precursor of the Emergency Alert System still in use today. “There are certain stations across every market that listen for those tones and then retransmit the alert to other stations in their market,” says John Lawson, an emergency alert expert who has advised the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) on its modern warning systems.

A 2006 bill passed under Pres. George W. Bush augmented that capability with wireless text message alerts that could theoretically be sent to every cell phone across the country in the event of a national emergency like a nuclear attack. But surprisingly this new system has never even been tested—so Pres. Donald Trump plans to send an inaugural test alert on October 3. (It had initially been slated for September 20, but FEMA says the plan was delayed by the need to focus on Hurricane Florence.)

This week Lawson spoke with Scientific American about how the new alert system may play out. Lawson serves as executive director of a private sector technology collaboration group called the Advanced Warning and Response Network (AWARN) Alliance, and spends his days thinking about how to best prepare communities for unthinkable disasters. AWARN aims to create alerting systems that could still function if the cellular network jams or the power grid goes down.....

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/how-will-trumps-emergency-text-alerts-work/
--------------------------

Media and Telecoms
September 15, 2018 1:47 PM Updated 5 years ago
Trump administration to send U.S. cellphones a test alert on Thursday

By Reuters Staff

3 Min Read
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The Trump administration will send a message to all U.S. cellphones on Thursday to test a previously unused alert system that aims to warn the public about national emergencies.

The messages will bear the headline “Presidential Alert”, the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) said in a statement this week. Phones will make a loud tone and have a special vibration, said FEMA, which will send the alert.

The test message, scheduled for 2:18 p.m. EDT on Thursday, will read: “THIS IS A TEST of the National Wireless Emergency Alert System. No action is needed.”

The test has been scheduled to ensure that the alert system would work in the event of a national emergency. U.S. cellphone users will not be able to opt out.

Former President Barack Obama signed a law in 2016 requiring FEMA to create a system allowing the president to send cellphone alerts regarding public safety emergencies.

Since the wireless emergency alert system began in 2012, it has issued over 36,000 alerts for situations such as missing children, extreme weather and natural disasters, but never a presidential directive. Cell phone users can opt out of natural disaster or missing children alerts.

FEMA said in a statement the alerts can only be used for national emergencies. The president has sole responsibility for determining when the national-level alerts are used.

In the event of widespread severe weather or another significant event on Sept. 20, the test will be pushed back to Oct. 3, FEMA said.

The administration announced in July that it would schedule the test alert for September. The White House did not immediately respond to a request for comment on its role in planning the test alert.

The administration will send a test alert via radio and television broadcasters two minutes after the cell phone alert. It will interrupt programming for about one minute, FEMA said.

Cell towers will broadcast the WEA test for approximately 30 minutes beginning at 2:18 p.m.

The U.S. Federal Communications Commission has approved new rules to ensure starting in 2019 that alerts are more precisely targeted, with links to photos or other important information.

There have been issues with prior state alerts.

In January, Hawaii issued a false alert of a missile attack that went uncorrected for 38 minutes after being transmitted to mobile phones and broadcast stations, causing widespread panic across the Pacific islands state.

In April, the FCC blamed that false alarm on human error and inadequate safeguards.

Reporting by Jason Lange, David Shepardson and David Morgan in Washington; Editing by Chizu Nomiyama and David Gregorio

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-alerts-idUSKCN1LV0N6

----------------------------------

The Hill...

FEMA to test system allowing Trump to send emergency alerts
by Morgan Gstalter - 09/15/18 9:12 AM ET

The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) is testing a new system next week that allows President Trump to send messages directly to U.S. cellphones.

All major wireless firms and more than 100 mobile carriers are participating in the new Wireless Emergency Alerts (WEA) program that allows for presidential alerts, FEMA wrote in a Thursday statement.

“The EAS [Emergency Alert System] is a national public warning system that provides the president with the communications capability to address the nation during a national emergency,” FEMA said in a statement.{mosads}

Compatible cell phones will receive a text message that reads “Presidential Alert” and “THIS IS A TEST of the National Wireless Emergency Alert System. No action is needed.”

The EAS is also used with radio and television broadcasters, cable systems, satellite radio and television providers, and wireline video providers, the agency said.

https://thehill.com/homenews/admini...ystem-allowing-trump-to-send-emergency-alert/

Last edited:
I don't know what is gaining on on the 4th. I do know that the government will know who answers and where you are. I don't know if they have an ulterior motive. I do know that I don't trust them. I will do my best to block their signal. I turned off everything but the national alerts which is not an available option. Battery removal is an option.
The govment already knows where you are. Every day.
If you drive a vehicle made after 2000, you 'check in' whenever you start it.
If you have a 'smartphone' with GPS, they know exactly where you are if you have it with you, even if it is 'turned off'.
Watching crooks be amazed after they have 'escaped', and cops magically appear minutes later, is priceless! :D

If you have a 'smartphone' with GPS, they know exactly where you are if you have it with you, even if it is 'turned off'.
Watching crooks be amazed after they have 'escaped', and cops magically appear minutes later, is priceless! :D
And if you have any “smart “ appliances in your house they are connected to the internet and the government can watch you 24/7/365.
Which is why in the last few years when we needed a clothes washer, dish washer and refrigerator we had to search very hard to find non computerized ones.
Lowe’s and Home Depot do not carry them in their stores, but you CAN order them on their websites and have them shipped directly to you.

Oh, we don’t have a smart TV, and the one we do have is unplugged most of the year.
You do know that you can remotely be watched right in your home if you gave a smart TV, right??

1998 truck
Asked for the dumbest flip phone in the store.
No smart TV, or other appliances.
Wife bought a spare Roomba. Reading the box I saw that it was compliant with some FCC code. I looked that up and found out that the regulation pertained to cell phones. So this Roomba had GPS and cell phone built in. It went back to the store.

Last edited:
1998 truck
Asked for the dumbest flip phone in the store.
You got an eTalk phone too?!! :D
Great minds think alike! :thumbs:
s-l1200.webp

I didn't even have to ask for mine, they just sent it to me. :)

During the 2018 test there were a lot of problems discovered. Some didn’t receive any notice. I didn’t have a smartphone so I didn’t get it. But while listening to an FM station, when it broke in with the recorded alert message the audio was so distorted you couldn’t make out what it said.

So maybe it’s just making sure the warning system works… but I drink tap water so I’m biased.

During the 2018 test there were a lot of problems discovered. Some didn’t receive any notice. I didn’t have a smartphone so I didn’t get it. But while listening to an FM station, when it broke in with the recorded alert message the audio was so distorted you couldn’t make out what it said.

So maybe it’s just making sure the warning system works… but I drink tap water so I’m biased.
Ditto that.

I want to know about alerts and my location is mundane.

Ben

It's a test. That's all it is. To see what doesn't work.
They tested the sirens in Bama a bunch. They received their signal thru FM.
Low&behold they found out that when severe storms with tornados went thru an area, the signals to the towers got garbled so they hooked them all to land-lines.
That worked :thumbs:, as you can hear in the tornado video I posted earlier in the thread.

Last edited:
Why is this anything new? Growing up we had siren go off the first Wednesday of the month at 1pm. We just have new modern forms of communication. Here in my town they test the siren at least once a year. Different sound for different types of emergency. Like tornado. Flood. Fire call. Or TV this is a test of the broadcast system ..its only a test..if this was a real emergency you would be told what station to turn to.

I'm betting the raccoon or pack rat that stole my 0bamaphone has a rude awakening! He'll be chilling on top of that dumb thing and be like:
Why is my butt vibrating?!!

<---No cell phone, IF my GPS on the blazer works, I doubt it works right, I never carry my life alert, total weirdo, lone wolf, gray man.

You've got an iphone?
Go to settings.
Go to notifications.
I had to scroll all the way down on mine,
"GOVERNMENT ALERTS:"
AMBER Alerts
Toggle to slide it to off.
Mine also has
Emergency Alerts
Public Safety Alerts
Test Alerts
And for Android users:
Settings --> Apps & Notifications --> Advanced --> Emergency Alerts
Toggle 'Allow alerts' at the top to turn off all emergency alerts. Or, you can be more selective. Mine has toggles for the following:

Extreme threats
Severe threats
AMBER alerts
Public safety messages
State and local tests

Why is this anything new? Growing up we had siren go off the first Wednesday of the month at 1pm. We just have new modern forms of communication. Here in my town they test the siren at least once a year. Different sound for different types of emergency. Like tornado. Flood. Fire call. Or TV this is a test of the broadcast system ..its only a test..if this was a real emergency you would be told what station to turn to.
Yup, that's correct. When I worked at Xerox in Webster, NY, we were close enough to the Ginna nuclear power plant that we'd hear their emergency tests. The nice folks at work would tell us what time we could expect the deafening sirens to go off. :)

Chances are pretty good this is merely what you describe: a system-wide test of an emergency alert system. It's prudent to do a test every so often.

But a profound lack of trust in anything the government does - and its well-earned, in my opinion - generates all kinds of negative notions and reactions.

And for Android users:
Settings --> Apps & Notifications --> Advanced --> Emergency Alerts
Toggle 'Allow alerts' at the top to turn off all emergency alerts. Or, you can be more selective. Mine has toggles for the following:

Extreme threats
Severe threats
AMBER alerts
Public safety messages
State and local tests
I have them ALL off! 😃

Latest posts

Back