Oddities

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LadyLocust

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
So I posted this earlier in the shortages thread, but think it might be an interesting thread all it's own.

Not sure where else to put this so will set it here:
We have a client who has a local sub shop. He's always seemed to do well even through other "rough times" wink wink.
He was just in and said things were pretty steady through Dec. and into the first week of Jan. but in the past two weeks sales have dropped off 50%.
To me this tells me folks are beginning to get their credit card statements and don't have the extra $$$.

In addition, yesterday at HD, the front isle of the store where there are usually specials and the stuff they think you will buy on a whim - yeah, that isle - completely clear.
We could have had a cart race along there. I've never seen that before.
Also, we work with many contractors and construction supply type companies: all are expressing a significant slow-down. One contractor who several months ago was so busy he was unable to take on more jobs stopped by and stated he had no jobs currently. All caught up and nothing new coming in. This is someone who has been in business for many years and is an honest individual so not like a new or shady business. I have no doubt he will have another job lined up shortly but . . .

Curious what others are seeing.

Last edited:
want to hear something really scary? I called the meat processor yesterday to change one appointment and try to get some more. This is the one that cancelled on us last year because he didn't have enough people to keep up.
Yesterday : "sure no problem, I will move your appointment to the month after ", sure, no problem you can get an appointment early September. ??? This is the first time I don't hear " we are booked up and busy, call back later"
I CRIED on the phone last year to get 2 stinking goats processed! Now, "sure , no problem"

The local Mexican restaurant has let their staff go.
The owner and his family are the only ones working there now.
I asked him yesterday how business was and he said very poor.
I think the only thing keeping him open is the bar.
The parking lot has been empty for months.
The bad thing is the food is not as good as it used to be.
Denny's had 2 servers and 2 cooks last week.
Things are getting bad.

Restaurants are so expensive now days that we seldom go out to eat anymore. It's not their fault, but we just aren't going to pay the price anymore.
When we were building the house, shop and barn, I really needed help. All the contractors in this area were always "too busy". Now that all my big project are done, they can kiss my ass. Everything else I can do myself. I'll never be held up again by a contractor who may or may not show up, and one that will screw me over on the cost. I finally found a decent builder, and one that only charges labor. I buy all the materials.

We were just discussin restaurants this afternoon. We haven't gone out in a long, long time, mostly because of husband's health. So he mentioned, that we should go out next week, and actually eat in a restaurant, not get take out, and he can manage with the wheelchair, he thinks. So we looked on line at the steakhouse I like, and their filet is now $49. Sides are extra. I have filets in the freezer. Told him fine, but I'll pick another place. It's just not worth it.

Breakfast for 2 is $25 to $40.
Lunch for 2 is $35 to $60
Supper for 2 is $50 and $75.
One place we like to go to has a salad bar.
My wife would always get that until I told her it cost $18.95.
The Mexican place we went to charges $3.95 for iced tea or soda.
The only place you can go to lunch cheap is Costco for a hot dog and pop.

Breakfast for 2 is $25 to $40.
Lunch for 2 is $35 to $60
Supper for 2 is $50 and $75.
One place we like to go to has a salad bar.
My wife would always get that until I told her it cost $18.95.
The Mexican place we went to charges $3.95 for iced tea or soda.
The only place you can go to lunch cheap is Costco for a hot dog and pop.
i rarely drink sodas, teas, etc. when I am out. I usually drink water, no ice. The price of beverages is beyond ridiculous. Even eating lunch out is ridiculous.

You can get a very large piece of pizza at Costco for $1.99. The hot dog with a soft drink is around $1.69, I see many people who go in to Costco just to get their hot dog or pizza,

The "country house" has a bunch of nice local/non chain places and you can always order at the Sunoco, quality unknown. Been to a couple so far, very nice. there will be more as we move :). I like there is a place that will deliver eggs, milk, butter and bread, all from their farm.

i rarely drink sodas, teas, etc. when I am out. I usually drink water, no ice. The price of beverages is beyond ridiculous. Even eating lunch out is ridiculous.

You can get a very large piece of pizza at Costco for $1.99. The hot dog with a soft drink is around $1.69, I see many people who go in to Costco just to get their hot dog or pizza,
I don't think you have to have a Costco membership to go in and get something from the food area/snack bar. You can go in the exit door and go to get your food. Use one of the screens, order food, pay with a card, get your receipt and wait to hear your number called. I see many people there eating hot dogs, and with their children. Wouldn't that still be cheaper to buy a package of hot dogs, and buns to feed your family?

I don't think you have to have a Costco membership to go in and get something from the food area/snack bar. You can go in the exit door and go to get your food. Use one of the screens, order food, pay with a card, get your receipt and wait to hear your number called. I see many people there eating hot dogs, and with their children. Wouldn't that still be cheaper to buy a package of hot dogs, and buns to feed your family?
Every night?

Special occasion?

The Princess could make her own buns.

Ben

Every night?

Special occasion?

The Princess could make her own buns.

Ben
I just see it when I am there. I saw a man with three children the other day when I was waiting for a piece of pizza. That is less than $7 for lunch for him, and if he is not into cooking, but has the children, it might be the best thing he can do when it comes to feeding them.

I am not really into hot dogs. I cannot remember the last time I had one. But if it works for you or anyone else, I am not judging. You have to decide what works for you. I typically go to Costco once a month, but sometimes one or more times.

@LadyLocust Here empty shelves are because of Brexit (extra charges and paperwork) and in the bigger stores, there is a delay in shipping.
In a way, its good, maybe people will buy handmade or local other than plastic tat.
There was a recent news piece about restaurants (privately owned, not a chain) in various cities closing down (20 this month at least) alot for a small country, despite having weathered Covid, the crash in 2010, and even the 80's. It is the running costs and overheads that are finishing them. Some of them are fairly busy, but they can't put their prices up any more. That is despite gas and elec costs dropping recently.
Farmers also are having a hard time because of EU directives, and are starting protests. I'll pop a bit about it in a different thread.

After Costco stopped selling Polish dogs I went to order. The girl asked me what I wanted . I said I want a Polish dog. She said we don't sell them any more. I said I know.
She looked at me funny and I said you asked what I wanted and I want a Polish dog but I'll have to settle for a regular hotdog.
She just shook her head and got me my hotdog.
My wife was shaking her head also but I just said she asked.

Everything is ridiculously expensive when you eat out. Even fast food will cost $10.00 a person.

When we eat out we often take half of the meal home. Partly because the portions are large enough you can make two meals, and partly my mixed up logic,that if I take half home it only costs half as much. I get two, sometimes three meals, for what I paid for one.

After Costco stopped selling Polish dogs I went to order. The girl asked me what I wanted . I said I want a Polish dog. She said we don't sell them any more. I said I know.
She looked at me funny and I said you asked what I wanted and I want a Polish dog but I'll have to settle for a regular hotdog.
She just shook her head and got me my hotdog.
My wife was shaking her head also but I just said she asked.
Don't ask if you really don't want to know....Right???

Everything is ridiculously expensive when you eat out. Even fast food will cost $10.00 a person.

When we eat out we often take half of the meal home. Partly because the portions are large enough you can make two meals, and partly my mixed up logic,that if I take half home it only costs half as much. I get two, sometimes three meals, for what I paid for one.
eating out is way too expensive now, we paid $30 for some minimal cheaply made noodle dishes at some restaurant last time we went out, and it was almost like a fast food place
what a rip off!
If the food you got was at least worth it , I might go out occasionally but around here there just are no good restaurants

eating out is way too expensive now, we paid $30 for some minimal cheaply made noodle dishes at some restaurant last time we went out, and it was almost like a fast food place
what a rip off!
If the food you got was at least worth it , I might go out occasionally but around here there just are no good restaurants

That is one thing with which we are truly blessed. We have a staggering number of exceptional restaurants in our area, and all locally owned, not chains. We have our favorites, and we know we will not be disappointed. Some are better values than others, but all are good.

That is one thing with which we are truly blessed. We have a staggering number of exceptional restaurants in our area, and all locally owned, not chains. We have our favorites, and we know we will not be disappointed. Some are better values than others, but all are good.
We do here also. Many are not cheap, but at least they are good.

Had to go to Wmt this morning- the clothes dept (I try to cut through to avoid people) had huge empty sections. The Valentine stuff was packed and there was Easter stuff mixed in 🤨. Not that I use Wmt as a reliable gauge but I did think it was a little off.

Went to a suburb outer edge shopping area of the bigger city a while ago. Where we were going to eat was closed up. Place next to it (restaurant), closed up. Next business, a big car wash - closed up; car repair place - closed up. Last Monday in the afternoon, same area, went into the craft store (hobby lobby) which is usually very busy any day of the week. There was hardly a soul there.

want to hear something really scary? I called the meat processor yesterday to change one appointment and try to get some more. This is the one that cancelled on us last year because he didn't have enough people to keep up.
Yesterday : "sure no problem, I will move your appointment to the month after ", sure, no problem you can get an appointment early September. ??? This is the first time I don't hear " we are booked up and busy, call back later"
I CRIED on the phone last year to get 2 stinking goats processed! Now, "sure , no problem"
Might be folks took critters to auction.

So I posted this earlier in the shortages thread, but think it might be an interesting thread all it's own.

Not sure where else to put this so will set it here:
We have a client who has a local sub shop. He's always seemed to do well even through other "rough times" wink wink.
He was just in and said things were pretty steady through Dec. and into the first week of Jan. but in the past two weeks sales have dropped off 50%.
To me this tells me folks are beginning to get their credit card statements and don't have the extra $$$.

In addition, yesterday at HD, the front isle of the store where there are usually specials and the stuff they think you will buy on a whim - yeah, that isle - completely clear.
We could have had a cart race along there. I've never seen that before.
Also, we work with many contractors and construction supply type companies: all are expressing a significant slow-down. One contractor who several months ago was so busy he was unable to take on more jobs stopped by and stated he had no jobs currently. All caught up and nothing new coming in. This is someone who has been in business for many years and is an honest individual so not like a new or shady business. I have no doubt he will have another job lined up shortly but . . .

Curious what others are seeing.
It will be like 2008. No one could afford to have work done. Then when we did the business / contractor wanted 3 times as much.

we had a lot of good restaurants when we lived in Orlando, but generally sitting in a crowded restaurant causes me anxiety. I don't enjoy it all that much. So no great loss for me there. Son is the same he does not like to go out to eat. Husband does but thankfully he likes my cooking....

I wonder how we will do at the farmers market this year. Last year we sold most ever
Egg prices are down again, last year we sold ours for $5 a dozen wonder if people will pay that this year

I paid $1.82 for a dozen eggs yesterday. $5.00 a dozen seems a little steep.

I pay $5 /doz for eggs but I know what the hens are eating (organic, nongmo, void of hormones etc feed). Grocery store eggs are produced by hens that are fed a chemically enhanced diet. To me they are not the same product. (I’ve eaten both so not judging but explaining why I am willing to pay $5)

Latest posts

Back