Oddities

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We haven’t bought eggs in nearly 20 years. Our excess ones are used in a barter system with friends, and we usually have about 4 dozen extras a week in the warmer months. They provide chicken food or something else like home baked goods (banana bread and the like). One friend gives us all kinds of game cuts. We even have one that gives us shop time so my husband can do vehicle maintenance with a lift. Since our girls are mostly free range on a fenced acre, minus the garden, they are pretty productive and we have super orange yolks. I feel like we get the better end of the barter system, but it’s easier than trying to keep up with commercial and farmers market egg prices.

One thing that I have noticed lately is the staff at the local,small city walmart are much lower "quality" and huge turn over than the Canadiantire across the parking lot, where the staff seems to stay on for long periods, and there are always staff at the till.

I pay $5 /doz for eggs but I know what the hens are eating (organic, nongmo, void of hormones etc feed). Grocery store eggs are produced by hens that are fed a chemically enhanced diet. To me they are not the same product. (I’ve eaten both so not judging but explaining why I am willing to pay $5)
And that is why I have my own birds. I can control everything they consume. Their eggs in no way compares to the pale yoked store-bought eggs

And that is why I have my own birds. I can control everything they consume. Their eggs in no way compares to the pale yoked store-bought eggs
This and i have NO problem getting 5 a dozen for the eggs. Girls are starting up for the season and a dear friend was able to get his first order. 4 dozen and he told me he would pay more if we wanted because they are the highest quality eggs he has ever eaten.

So yesterday morning I stopped at the store on my way to work - about 7:45. I was the only one in the store. I was shocked. I don't think that's ever happened unless it's some strange hour but not at quarter to 8. This morning I had to go that way, about the same time and there was 1 car in the parking lot. I just think that's strange - or at least strange for that store.

Latest posts

Back