Oil up! So how do we cover our ... Cooking needs?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neb

Jack of all trades master of some
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
The Princess wants an olive tree in a greenhouse but I question how much oil from one tree and other sources of cooking oil.

What are your thoughts and suggestions?

What kind of gear equipment do we need?

What type of processes are involved?

And the virgin olive oil what is up with that?

Feel free to educate me.

Ben

its kind of a neat idea to grow olives and press to make your own oil but im wondering how many olives can be harvested from one tree and how many years it needs to grow to get enough olives to press and what amount of oil one can actually get from how many olives. might be fun to try it you know? if you do it please post, id love to hear of your experiment.

but id still stock up on some coconut oil and some ghee, etc.

you got me curious so i dug this up

How To Press Olive Oil: Making Olive Oil At Home
https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/fruits/olive/how-to-press-olive-oil.htm

How to make olive oil at home - video

..but id still stock up on some..

Indeed.. No doubt 'elkhound' will be along here soon with the 411 on this all ;) but, Meantime:

(if that doesn't 'parse' properly, simply Amazearch item B004ZK4642.. We've been stocking up 'bricks' of the stuff, and Last we ordered some (Iirc, April-ish...) it was only ~$23. for this size tin, but.. Keep an eye on it, it Does tend to fluctuate, a bit..)

I'll bet, tho, that yah - it'll likely take Quite a few trees to yield enough to help with 'LTSupply', but.. Certainly a worthwhile 'homework project'.. :cool:

..And the virgin olive oil what is up with that?

Quick snip from wiki: 'EVOO' is the highest grade of virgin oil derived by "cold mechanical extraction" without use of solvents or refining methods..' Though it has a 'lower smoke point' (Still Fine for most cooking..) the low 'free acidity' allows for a 'fuller, richer-Olivey flavor', and higher oxidation-resistance makes for the "longest-lasting" of the Olive oils, for 'LTS', before rancidity-concerns will ever come into play..

PS - And, 'that way' - in Tins, vs ANY plastic - is The Best way to 'LTS'-it.. Sure, Glass is also fine (as long as it's Dark Glass / kept in 'cool, dry / dark' storage, etc) but I can Promise you that IF you 'drop a glass Gallon jug of EVOO' - you Will Weep like a baby.. :)

..Besides, you certainly Can always simply 'transfer' your weekly-use load from yer 'LTS-tins', into smaller plastic / glass bottles / 'Misto's, etc.

And, it provides the widest / best 'Health Benefits', overall.. Even one quickie-search turns up a Plethora of info on the Benes of EVOO.. https://www.stockland.com.au/retirement-living/news/16-health-benefits-of-extra-virgin-olive-oil ..etc, And tastes the Best in Pastas / Sauces / Marinades / Dressings, etc (imo..) and when yer making the 'Olive Oil / Pepper Flakes / Salt/Pepper'-dip for yer Ital Bread before dinner.. :)

Fwiw
jd

Last edited:
Olive trees aren't known for growing in humid climates. Be several years before they fruit in a meaningful way, 8-10.

I went another route. I bought a seed oil press for the sunflowers. They are easy to grow and produce every year.

Olive trees aren't known for growing in humid climates. Be several years before they fruit in a meaningful way, 8-10.

I went another route. I bought a seed oil press for the sunflowers. They are easy to grow and produce every year.

We had one inS Tx. The dead flowers looked like used kleenex all over the yard. The mocking birds ate most of the olives before we got to them.

I use tallow, lard and butter BUT we raise cattle and pigs and have milk cows.
Man! I miss lard! :(
It made everything fantastic! ....before shortening showed up and ruined everything.:mad:
Wasn't lard used in cake icing in the old days? Back when you could slice a cake without ending up with a knife with a bunch of gooey stuff stuck to it?
I know EVERYTHING fried was fried in lard back in the day too! Heavenly!😍
And if you burned 3500 calories per day, it was noooo problem.

Man! I miss lard! :(
It made everything fantastic! ....before shortening showed up and ruined everything.:mad:
Wasn't lard used in cake icing in the old days? Back when you could slice a cake without ending up with a knife with a bunch of gooey stuff stuck to it?
I know EVERYTHING fried was fried in lard back in the day too! Heavenly!
And if you burned 3500 calories per day, it was noooo problem.

I've never seen an icing recipe with lard. Most are milk, powdered sugar, vanilla and at my house, cocoa powder.

We made icing with lard for a lot of years. When we moved to the big city we used Crisco. When I moved out from home I used butter or cream cheese. I have never used milk...

I've never seen an icing recipe with lard. Most are milk, powdered sugar, vanilla and at my house, cocoa powder.
I don't know about an icing recipe, but I've seen a filling for whoopie pies that uses shortening/or lard in it.
Been a few years but I remember it just because of the ingredient lol

I don't think I'll go through all of that for olive oil.
I have some stored along with shortening, coconut oil, a bottle of corn oil and I just bought a bottle of sunflower oil which I've never used before.
I also save all the bacon grease in mason jars in the fridge and I use butter also

Buttercream icing: butter, a splash of milk and vanilla, and powdered sugar. For chocolate, add cocoa powder. I hate it with crisco and can taste the difference right off. But half butter/half lard would be ok I think.
I use crisco or lard for pie crust.
We had an olive tree in New Mexico, but it had the same fate as Terri's tree.
Raise animals and store animal fat. Around here, sunflowers are grown and seeds are harvested. It's a beautiful sight to see. But I don't know how to make sunflower oil. I buy olive and canola oil and have plenty stored.

Indeed.. No doubt 'elkhound' will be along here soon with the 411 on this all ;) but, Meantime:

(if that doesn't 'parse' properly, simply Amazearch item B004ZK4642.. We've been stocking up 'bricks' of the stuff, and Last we ordered some (Iirc, April-ish...) it was only ~$23. for this size tin, but.. Keep an eye on it, it Does tend to fluctuate, a bit..)

I'll bet, tho, that yah - it'll likely take Quite a few trees to yield enough to help with 'LTSupply', but.. Certainly a worthwhile 'homework project'.. :cool:

Quick snip from wiki: 'EVOO' is the highest grade of virgin oil derived by "cold mechanical extraction" without use of solvents or refining methods..' Though it has a 'lower smoke point' (Still Fine for most cooking..) the low 'free acidity' allows for a 'fuller, richer-Olivey flavor', and higher oxidation-resistance makes for the "longest-lasting" of the Olive oils, for 'LTS', before rancidity-concerns will ever come into play..

PS - And, 'that way' - in Tins, vs ANY plastic - is The Best way to 'LTS'-it.. Sure, Glass is also fine (as long as it's Dark Glass / kept in 'cool, dry / dark' storage, etc) but I can Promise you that IF you 'drop a glass Gallon jug of EVOO' - you Will Weep like a baby.. :)

..Besides, you certainly Can always simply 'transfer' your weekly-use load from yer 'LTS-tins', into smaller plastic / glass bottles / 'Misto's, etc.

And, it provides the widest / best 'Health Benefits', overall.. Even one quickie-search turns up a Plethora of info on the Benes of EVOO.. https://www.stockland.com.au/retirement-living/news/16-health-benefits-of-extra-virgin-olive-oil ..etc, And tastes the Best in Pastas / Sauces / Marinades / Dressings, etc (imo..) and when yer making the 'Olive Oil / Pepper Flakes / Salt/Pepper'-dip for yer Ital Bread before dinner.. :)

Fwiw
jd

i had to look up what 411 is and still not sure in fact...i have tried to grow olive trees 2 times now with failure of 4 trees in total. i am zoned for them but i can dip extra cold and first year it dipped to negative 10f and that was that...2 nights ended the trees.

i had to look up what 411 is and still not sure in fact...i have tried to grow olive trees 2 times now with failure of 4 trees in total. i am zoned for them but i can dip extra cold and first year it dipped to negative 10f and that was that...2 nights ended the trees.
The Princess wants me to tey an olive tree in the greenhouse we have planned.

I should try sunflower on The Ridge.

She had some vegetable oil go bad and we have to figure something out for TEOTWAKI. I believe jars of olive oil have been recovered from shipwrecks in the Med. dating back to biblical times. I have to guess it was bad.

Ben

i had to look up what 411 is and still not sure in fact....

Hah! Leave it to me with the '70s cryptography... 😬 I'm sure you remember the days of 'Dial 411' (for "information") which later expanded from 'Just a phone number', to get directions, etc - I just recall the saying 'gimme the 411' when they were asking for the 'low-down' on a subject.. Guess I am "officially Old"... :)

..'Course, 411 is mostly 'eaten' by Siri / Alexa, etc, now, but.. Meh, I'd rather speak to a Human Bean. ;)

jd

Hah! Leave it to me with the '70s cryptography... 😬 I'm sure you remember the days of 'Dial 411' (for "information") which later expanded from 'Just a phone number', to get directions, etc - I just recall the saying 'gimme the 411' when they were asking for the 'low-down' on a subject.. Guess I am "officially Old"... :)

..'Course, 411 is mostly 'eaten' by Siri / Alexa, etc, now, but.. Meh, I'd rather speak to a Human Bean. ;)

jd

i am 55 but i cant recall that number...for some reason i think we dialed a single number...no matter...i still have and use phone books in my area. i am a dinosaur in that dept for sure...lol

There's no more 411?

@Neb If you are purchasing olive oil, get Californian organic, especially if you want it to keep well. The olive oil from Italy is not 100% olive oil. The olive oil industry is controlled by the mafia and what comes to US is bogus. You would probably end up with soured oil like the veggie oil. Traditional fats (butter, lard, tallow) are replenishable and actually healthy in the absence of excess sugar. I like a nice crusty sourdough dipped in garlic olive oil but SHTF it isn't something I plan on having for very long.

There's no more 411?

@Neb If you are purchasing olive oil, get Californian organic, especially if you want it to keep well. The olive oil from Italy is not 100% olive oil. The olive oil industry is controlled by the mafia and what comes to US is bogus. You would probably end up with soured oil like the veggie oil. Traditional fats (butter, lard, tallow) are replenishable and actually healthy in the absence of excess sugar. I like a nice crusty sourdough dipped in garlic olive oil but SHTF it isn't something I plan on having for very long.
It was a bad batch of brownies the granddaughter baked that highlighted a possible gap in our preps.

Traditional fats are things we would have to barter for as long as zoning laws apply.

Ben

I have a Piteba oil press. I have seeds for oil sunflowers. It's the best I got.
piteba-presse-a-huile.jpg

Last edited:
There's no more 411?

I'm sure it depends on the Area, but.. Not sure if "411" will work the way it Used-to on all Cel-services (Which most everyone seems to be On these days..) Again, I'm sure it's 'carrier / region-dependent'.. YMMV. :)

..If you are purchasing olive oil, get Californian organic... The olive oil from Italy is not 100%.. controlled by the mafia and what comes to US is bogus...

Hmm.. Not doubting you, but.. What we've Used (at least from the Brand I posted about, there..) has been solid (I mean, good / Not tasting off / 'separating' or coagulating or anything weird.. 🤔 Indeed, though, corruption is Everywhere, these days.. :rolleyes:

..And, Sure - Cal Olives / Oil are, indeed, Tops, but.. OTOH, if you use Olive Oil from California, long term, you Could end up with Pink hair and a nose ring and an insatiably-screeching Hate for Trump, and a pu.. Oh never mind.. 😬

jd

I have a Pibeta oil press. I have seeds for oil sunflowers. It's the best I got.
View attachment 75126

I've been thinking of buying something like that. We've started growing sunflowers to have seeds for the chickens but if I could get oil out of them before I give them to the birds....

I've been thinking of buying something like that. We've started growing sunflowers to have seeds for the chickens but if I could get oil out of them before I give them to the birds....
As long as you use the black oil flowers you will be good and yes, it makes good food for your animals after you squeeze the oil out.

The good fats I am stocking up on - Extra Virgin Olive Oil I use primarily for salad dressings, or anything with low heat. Because it has a low smoke point I prefer coconut oil (which keeps real well) or avocado oil. Both of these two have high smoke points...we have found avocado oil delivers the best flavor when frying fish on the stove top. We also get non-homogonized (or leaf) lard for baking as it delivers the most delectable, flaky pie crust- my boyfriend is the baker, not me Lard is best kept in a cool location. I don't keep any vegetable or canola oils as they are bad for the heart/arteries.
Butter would have to be refrigerated, but I can store ghee (clarified butter - water is removed). Butter may become hard to find and I don't have a cow to churn my own...ghee can work if need be. Also healthy. When cooking bacon save the bacon fat. Despite what has been marketed to us...the lard and bacon fat is not causing heart disease...it is the hydrogenated oils.
Other fats mentioned, also source of proteins, are nuts. But nuts can go rancid - will keep 6 mo in store packaging - one year in a freezer. Same with seeds, but nuts will go rancid more quickly than say, sunflower seeds.
If I could grow any tropical type tree...it would hands down be an avocado tree vs. olives. The prediction is we wont be able to get avocados soon with the supply/transportation issues. "An avocado a day keeps the doctor a way!" Well, make that a half - but avocado are one of those super foods. I bet those with freeze dryers could actually preserve this.

Cooking oil , though perhaps somewhat boring to discuss is an important issue . Keeping ahead of the crowd by predicting the future , I have already stocked up on cooking oil . However it like most things would eventually run out . At that point I would likely resort to either boiling food or cooking " baking " meats on a stick . . Before shtf , I will suggest for those planning to do something like this to get out their squeezer and make them some oil . I suspect their result in the real world will not match the fake survival tv shows . The time spent processing oil to keep up with cooking needs , I suspect would not be practical . --- Honestly though I have never tried squeezing out oil and if someone is so inclined to try it , I would be interested in their results , such as time spent and the amount of oil derived .

Cooking oil , though perhaps somewhat boring to discuss is an important issue . Keeping ahead of the crowd by predicting the future , I have already stocked up on cooking oil . However it like most things would eventually run out . At that point I would likely resort to either boiling food or cooking " baking " meats on a stick . . Before shtf , I will suggest for those planning to do something like this to get out their squeezer and make them some oil . I suspect their result in the real world will not match the fake survival tv shows . The time spent processing oil to keep up with cooking needs , I suspect would not be practical . --- Honestly though I have never tried squeezing out oil and if someone is so inclined to try it , I would be interested in their results , such as time spent and the amount of oil derived .

i have seen various places around globe process oils. poor areas seem to have an oil press in a community. some are community owned while others are owned by a family.if you cant press oil you need to eat the items that has the oil in them.theres a pumpkin thats grown for its seed as well.

Latest posts

Back