Old “dish TV” satellite dishes

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alaskajohn

Bugged out
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I have 2 of these things that were on the homestead when I bought the place and they have been collect dust for 7 plus years. Before I take them to the dump, are there any uses for them that I haven’t thought about?

Apparently the previous owner tried to pick up a satellite for TV, and ended up installing 2 dishes thinking it would help, but he never could pick up a satellite reliablely. The place is tucked too deep in a valley with near vertical 9,000 feet mountains blocking the satellites. The dishes are about 10 years old and simply taking up space.

I used one to obtain sheet metal to pop rivet on an old lawn mower deck that had big rust holes.
I threw the rest of it on my metal pile. Never know when I'll need to patch something like a rusted out truck floor board.

I used one to obtain sheet metal to pop rivet on an old lawn mower deck that had big rust holes.
I threw the rest of it on my metal pile. Never know when I'll need to patch something like a rusted out truck floor board.
Gotta have a metal pile!!!

How old is old? Are they those super big like 10 foot across ones with the mesh?

standard dish tv technology from about 10 years ago. So about 2.5 to 3 feet wide. Not the huge dishes from the 80s. Those big ones I could find uses for!

They can be used to extend the range of your wifi.

This is an old pic, but we still use the same old antenna dish for water for the donkey and sheep...we had geese when I took this one...they were messy...
1628452324387.png

Okay, you all convinced me to keep them, but keep the ideas coming!

Okay, you all convinced me to keep them, but keep the ideas coming!
Considering where you live, I would get an old set of skis and fasten/weld to the underside then pull stuff wherever you want like a garden cart Alaska style. (compost, wood, groceries, rocks, etc.)

A neighbour of mine glued 1" square mirrors on his and used it as a solar collector. Don't use hot melt glue, I didn't laugh, until after I left.The focal point is where the receiver is mounted. I'd use a hydronic system with a baseboard or radiator inside, an aquastat on the outside and a thermostat on the inside and a 12V circulator from Grundfos. A solar tracking system, like they use for solar panels, would make the system functional.

Gotta have a metal pile!!!
Yep! And a pipe pile along side it.
Mine’s located right next to the 1988 F-150 that hasn’t run since I parked it in 2006.

Reactions: Neb

Latest posts

Back