Old School high beam switch for your deer lights.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

INresponse

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Do you have, or do you need aftermarket deer lights for your vehicle? Deer lights, driving lights, fog lights, other bright lights to see down the road when driving in rural areas? Usually people wire them up with some sort of toggle switch on the dash that you have to reach for, and constant reaching is not fun when you need to dim them when someone is coming the other way. Buy an old school high beam dimmer switch and mount in on the floor, off to the left side out of the way but where your left foot can reach it, like in the olden days. You run the positive wire from the battery, using the appropriate size fuse, to the positive wire on you lights, and run the ground wire from the light to the high beam switch then continue the ground wire from the switch to the nearest metal ground location under the dash. If you are forgetful you may need to find a place in the fuse box to connect the positive to a switched terminal so they go off when you turn the car off, with it direct to the battery they will stay on even if the ignition is turned off, but if it is dark when you are using them you should see they are still on, maybe.
When driving the back roads at night click the switch once to turn them on and click it again to torn them off. Much easier than reaching for that ugly switch on the dash.
https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...ive-truck-1972-chevrolet-c10-pickup-rwd?pos=2

I miss those switches... Every vehicle i drove before i was 30 had one. It was hard to stop stomping the floor board! Did that for years.. 🤣

I had fog lights on my 78ford and a few other items. Had several switches along the bottom edge of the dash. But it already had a dimmer. I bought the shop manual w/schematics for my 94 silverado. I intended to make modifications to both interior and exterior lighting and build in my own security.

But after studying the prints i discovered the gm engineers had been too good at saving pennies on wire. They layered unrelated circuits so that changing one circuit had unintended consequences in other parts of the vehicle. Over the years I changed how several circuits functioned. I added a parallel hot and cold buss in the cab (fuse blk). Then ran my own wiring and added circuits to the truck as needed.

Latest posts

Back