Old Wives Tales !....

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is a few more !..............
  • As many days old as is the moon on the first snow, there will be that many snowfalls by crop planting time.
  • If ant hills are high in July, winter will be snowy.
  • If the first week in August is unusually warm, the coming winter will be snowy and long.
  • For every fog in August, there will be a snowfall the following winter.
  • Squirrels gathering nuts in a flurry will cause snow to gather in a hurry.
  • As high as the weeds grow, so will the bank of snow.
  • A green Christmas = a white Easter.
  • If the first snowfall lands on unfrozen ground, winter will be mild.
  • If there is thunder in winter, it will snow seven days later.
  • See how high the hornet’s nest, ’twill tell how high the snow will rest
  • The higher muskrats’ holes are on the riverbank, the higher the snow will be.
  • A halo ’round the moon means ’twill rain or snow soon.

My Grandma was big on old wives tales.
We took our newborn daughter to see her and she took the kids shoes off.
She ran her thumb nail up her foot to see which way she curled her toes.
I think she said if her toes curled in she would have common sense and if her toes curled up she wouldn't, or the other way around.
Then she took her out side and put her foot prints in the fresh show to protect her from colds and flu.

When I was about 6 my Aunt had a baby and was having trouble breast feeding her.
Grandma got a quart jar, put some paper in it and lit it on fire.
Then she blew out the flame and my Aunt put the jar over her boob and the milk came out.
I did not see any of that of course it was all done in private and Grandma nor my Aunt would talk about it.
My Grandpa explained it to me later when it was just me and him.
I remember saying women are weird, he laughed and say "never forget that".
Grandma was from the backwoods of Arkansas and she lived life the old way.
I wish I had spent more time with her.

Hang the coffee cups up with the opening pointed overboard so the water stays overboard. One day the skipper of a fish packer saw a cup hanging up the wrong way, he immediately reached up and threw the offending cup overboard. The cook was a bit PO'ed, declared that the offending cup had contaminated all the other cups and threw every cup overboard. Th rest of the trip they got creative with what they drank their coffee out of.

I often wonder how many are superstitions or just things made up by annoyed parents :)
My Mom was GREAT about making up "superstitions"!!🙄😃 Such as: "If you find cat hair or a cat whisker on the floor, pick it up for good luck"! And: "if mail stays in the mailbox more than 1 hour, birthday cards will avoid the mailbox"!🤔🙄 Her way of getting me to do stuff!

Don't ever give anyone a knife, it will cut the friendship. I spent a penny on more than one knife.
I have given several knives to my son. With a coin taped to the knife, that he then gives back to me in payment. I learned this trick from a friend. In my circles you never find anyone carrying coins anymore. Or even dollar bills. The smallest you routinely find is a $20. So taping a coin to the knife is a thoughtful move to facilitate the transaction. It also gives you a chance to explain why.

My wife's mom believed that you could get rid of warts by scraping them off with a horses hoof. She even brought a horse home one day to take care of things. Where she got the horse from, in the middle of town, is a detail that I didn't bother to ask my wife. I decided to just let that memory from her childhood rest in peace.

I imagine this technique might actually work sometimes. Due to infection. You can kill a wart with infection, 'ya know.

Latest posts

Back