Olive Leaf Extract, any one know about this ?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joel

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I thought you’d find this interesting. This is the lady I met through Juiceplus. She knows a lot about different herbs. She makes her own teas for health benefits.

Here's the info about olive leaf I was telling you about. The second link tells how to make olive leaf tincture and glycerite.
I get my olive leaves from Mountain Rose Herbs, But I'm sure there's other reputable places to buy them. Buying leaves and making the tincture is much less expensive than buying a tincture
Olive leaf science

Olive Leaf Extract | Olive Wellness Institute

Layman's article about olive leaf

DiY Olive Leaf Extract With Benefits |

Olive Leaf Extract Benefits
antiatherogenic (prevents formation of plaque in the arteries)
Anti-diabetic
anti-HIV
antihypertensive (lowers blood pressure)
anti-inflammatory
anti-microbial
antioxidant,
anti-viral
bitter
hepatic
hypocholesterolemic (lowers cholesterol and protects the circulatory system)
hypoglycemic (lowers blood sugar)
protective against radiation damage
support healthy thyroid function

Olive leaves are bitter and astringent. As a bitter they stimulate bile flow and support the liver and digestion. Olive leaf extract helps lower blood sugar. Insulin dependent diabetics therefore should use caution if supplementing with olive leaf. Olive leaf tea is a traditional remedy in Europe to lower blood pressure.

Olive leaves are anti-microbial, anti-viral, anti-inflammatory, and antiseptic. This makes them useful to fight infection, and other feverish conditions, and to stave off a cold or the flu. Buhner in Herbal Antivirals, lists olive leaf as an anti-influenza herb and supplement. Olive leaf is anti-microbial, and anti-viral. It protects the lungs from damage and is useful both in preventing viruses from replicating and in protecting the lungs during a virus that you can’t seem to shake. (Buhner, p. 45 – 57).
[Buhner, Stephen Harrod. Herbal Anti-virals. Storey Publishing: North Adams, MA. (2013)]

Olive leaf tincture is active in the immune system, the digestive system, the circulatory system, and the glandular system.

Olive leaf extract is credited as both an anti-viral and an anti-bacterial agent. In historical usage, olive leaf tea was taken to lower fevers and reduce the impact of various bacteriological and viral diseases, including malaria. It has been found to act against viral agents, changing their pathways and preventing viral replication in infected cells. A 2003 study by Lee-Huang, et als found that Olive Leaf extract was effective in inhibiting the acute infection of HIV, and prevents a replication of the virus in the cells, and does so without toxicity in non-infected cells. The anti-HIV effect was dose dependent.
[Lee-Huang, Sylvia, et als. Anti-HIV activity of olive leaf extract (OLE) and modulation of host cell gene expression by HIV-1 infection and OLE treatment, Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, Volume 307, Issue 4, 8 August 2003, Pages 1029–1037.]

As an anti-microbial, olive leaf extract was active against MRSA, as well as Campylobacter jejuni, Helicobacter pylori and Staphylococcus aureu. (Sudjani, et als, 2009)
[Sudjana, Aurelia N., et als. Antimicrobial activity of commercial Olea europaea (olive) leaf extract. International Journal of Antimicrobial Agents. Volume 33, Issue 5, May 2009, Pages 461–463.]

A 2004 study by Benavente-García, et als, demonstrated that the antioxidant effects of Olive Leaf extract protected from radiation damage.

Olive Leaf extract is also a potent anti-tumour supplement that promotes cancer cell death. A 2012 study by Tunca, et als, in the Journal of Cancer Research and Clinical Oncology found that extracts of olive leaf had an anticancer effect in several types of cancer. This confirms a 2007 study by Abaza, et als, that found that leukemia was inhibited by olive leaf extract.
[Tunca, B., Tezcan, G., Cecener, G. et al. Olea europaea leaf extract alters microRNA expression in human glioblastoma cells, J Cancer Res Clin Oncol (2012) 138: 1831. doi:10.1007/s00432-012-1261-8

Benavente-García, O., Castillo, J., Lorente, J., and Alcaraz, M. Radioprotective Effects In Vivo of Phenolics Extracted from Olea europaea L. Leaves Against X-Ray-Induced Chromosomal Damage: Comparative Study Versus Several Flavonoids and Sulfur-Containing Compounds, Journal of Medicinal Food. July 2004, 5(3): 125-135. doi:10.1089/10966200260398152]

Fares R, Bazzi S, Baydoun SE, Abdel-Massih RM (2011) The antioxidant and anti-proliferative activity of the Lebanese Olea europaea Extract. Plant Foods Hum Nutr 66:58–63

I've heard of the use of the olive leaf tincture but I have never used it and I don't know of anyone who has used it. Without great caution an herbalist friend used oregano oil and that cleaned her out pretty fast. She thought she would exceed the recommended dosage. Always wise to take it slowly with that kind of stuff when using for the first time, depending on what your desired results, needs, etc. are.

This is interesting. I don't usually jump right into "tinctures" or quick-fix sorta things, but I like to know about it. I will probably do a little searching as to how the leaves were consumed traditionally. Often certain things are used in conjunction with other things/foods and that's an important key.

Latest posts

Back