Once again California leads the way....to make things really difficult for HAM Radio operators...

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like HAM Radio operators are going to have things made difficult for them by California's government...

https://www.askaprepper.com/why-do-...an-ham-radio-its-already-begun-in-california/
What does the California Government hope to achieve to make people's lives better by disabling a communication network?
None of it costs them a dime so it can't be to save money.
When exactly is 'less communication' better?

Maybe it's their way of saying: "You must listen to us, and only us!"
It's for your own good.
flower70.gif

Ah, now it makes sense:rolleyes:.

Last edited:
What does the California Government hope to achieve to make people's lives better by disabling a communication network?
None of it costs them a dime so it can't be to save money.
When exactly is 'less communication' better?

Maybe it's their way of saying: "You must listen to us, and only us!"
It's for your own good.View attachment 26942
Ah, now it makes sense:rolleyes:.

I think of some books I've read (fiction for now) where "government" doesn't want people communicating so they can not let one area know how bad it is in other areas, etc. That may be some of the issue. Or the CA "gov't" doesn't want citizens able to mount a rising against the communism they are trying working on implementing.

I think of some books I've read (fiction for now) where "government" doesn't want people communicating so they can not let one area know how bad it is in other areas, etc. That may be some of the issue.

The repeater loss would slow a lot of local comms, but the HF frequencies used for global radio comms wouldn't be silenced.

If by high frequencies you mean the 80 to 20 meter bands.

10m does real good at gittin around with just a Dipole but it does get hampered by the angle of the sun. In the early morning and before sundown the solar bounce will let you talk half way around the world.

Fortunately, there is more to the story and it isn't as it appears. See: http://www.arrl.org/news/report-causes-concern-and-confusion-in-california-s-amateur-radio-ranks

Going after revenue makes no sense because it's not worth the effort: there just aren't that many repeaters on public land. This appears, so far, to be a very limited number of repeater owners colocating on public space in a very limited number of locations. I'm going to withhold judgment until more info comes out, but it's looking like a disgruntled repeater operator is misrepresenting his/her personal situation.

Fortunately, there is more to the story and it isn't as it appears. See: http://www.arrl.org/news/report-causes-concern-and-confusion-in-california-s-amateur-radio-ranks

Going after revenue makes no sense because it's not worth the effort: there just aren't that many repeaters on public land. This appears, so far, to be a very limited number of repeater owners colocating on public space in a very limited number of locations. I'm going to withhold judgment until more info comes out, but it's looking like a disgruntled repeater operator is misrepresenting his/her personal situation.
Hmm. Interesting. Thanks for the update.

California still sucks, though...

The repeater loss would slow a lot of local comms, but the HF frequencies used for global radio comms wouldn't be silenced.

You are so right. Old fashioned ham radio. There will be a learning curve as many are not doing HF these days, a lot more VHF.

California still sucks, though...
Call me skeptical but I'm not buying anything that starts with:
ARRL said:
"By all credible and reliable accounts..."
In my book that's about as credible as "According to the unidentified, anonymous, whistleblower's report about stuff he heard people say..."

Here's my radical new theory:
The ruckus is about repeaters in the state-owned fireproof CAL-FIRE "vaults". I'm sure their antennas are just stuck up on the state towers next to the vaults.
Maybe, just maybe, the 'freeloader' HAM equipment is 'in the way' of where the new 5G equipment will go in that will generate ten$ of thousand$ of dollar$ per year?
Wouldn't it make sense now to kick the 'bum' out?

*No offense intended for the homeless wonderful disadvantaged people in California that can legally poop on the sidewalk.

Last edited:
Call me skeptical but I'm not buying anything that starts with:

In my book that's about as credible as "According to the unidentified, anonymous, whistleblower's report about stuff he heard people say..."

Here's my radical new theory:
The ruckus is about repeaters in the state-owned fireproof CAL-FIRE "vaults". I'm sure their antennas are just stuck up on the state towers next to the vaults.
Maybe, just maybe, the 'freeloader' HAM equipment is 'in the way' of where the new 5G equipment will go in that will generate ten$ of thousand$ of dollar$ per year?
Wouldn't it make sense now to kick the 'bum' out?

*No offense intended for the homeless wonderful disadvantaged people in California that can legally poop on the sidewalk.
Anything's possible. The ARRL is pretty reputable, though, and if they're not too concerned, that makes me feel a little better.

Back