One Room

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elkhound

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Call it a cache house,one room house,one room dry cabin,your Walden cabin..pick ya name and purpose. i am thinking that having a single dry room away from everything else..not necessarily a place to go to but as a back up in case of fire..or overflow for family member..friend in need..or a simple room to live as a person ages and needs less space etc. Just an idea thread..i think i have enough junk sitting around..as i clean up mess around homestead to turn a bit of junk into something functional with little cost to me.Mainly thinking in 8x8,8x10 size.

not wanting or thinking about these tiny homes that look all cluttered and complicated either...one open room...outhouse out back...K.I.S.S....keep it simple stupid !

l3gx9jsh3l211.jpg

Love that idea, elkhound. I remember as a kid, my grandparents had a really great, but small beach house in Laguna Beach. My grandfather bought 4 of those small 8'x10' wooden storage sheds, and furnished them with a bed and a few nightstands, and power to run one ceiling light. They were essentially overflow rooms for guests, who wanted to visit him for the weekend. I loved staying in them!

I think this is a great idea but I would make it a little larger. Something 12x20 or so should be about ideal in my opinion. That way there is room for food storage and a small family to crowd in during bad times. I think we all know bad times are close.

i am looking at very specific size and idea as it has to fit. doubling it gets into small home size and double the costs..and much more. my idea is just a room to be warm and dry in not live in. beat the heck out of a tent...we humans can over complicate stuff. i am looking at small,very well insulated and nothing to break down or need fixing and just sit and sit with minimum maintenance over years.

under the bed i a person can fit enough to live at least a year in 5 gallon buckets of simple dry goods.even put in drawers if ya want to go fancy or just flip bed up like a 'toybox' lid to access the buckets.

simple shelf with instapot and airfryer i can fix anything i want to eat.

this is even way bigger than i am thinking.

once upon a time there was a one room place in a very secret spot.i could kick myself for not taking pictures of it. i am sure it is gone now for sure.

IMG_7735_07091757-9E55-434D-91DC5523B15CDB62_beb4cf01-7d7a-4c99-8092acc07f8f1399.jpg

also if it was rustic and filled with character it be a huge bonus on many levels. like this place.it was actually a sauna and it has burned down since and no longer there to my understanding. but you get the gist of what i speak.

b.c. sauna #2.jpg

b.c. sauna.jpg

They are very nice, and the idea is appealing. I really don't like the outhouse concept. I am way past the age of wanting to rough it like that anymore.

They are very nice, and the idea is appealing. I really don't like the outhouse concept. I am way past the age of wanting to rough it like that anymore.

heres a thought...and i seen it happen as of late..no money to fix broken stuff and cant fix it themselves and cant get anyone for any price to do work or even show up to see about doing the said repairs.

seen it years ago as well..just more in your face now.

Richard Proenneke on left and Japanese builder in his cabin on right.Japanese builder has a couple different cabins.

Reed covered Powhatan house...but this is getting bigger than my stated purpose and reason of less is more...especially in aging out.

my post to @Morgan101 i didnt mention family not being able to get a solid state board for furnace and it took months and months of multiple orders to get it...from regions largest furnace people doing the work. guy in new englad took out his simple woodstove for a high dollar boiler system and it broke during a big cold snap years ago and not a replacement part in all of area. he and family were cold over a solenoid switch something another.

8114a953a2e6974ad6963de1726f36fd.jpg

This little room i am thinking with simple items i can facilitate my daily survival,especially in older age if something happens for various reasons. Under the bed/couch 'toybox' should hold 10-12 buckets of dry goods along with singleshot shotgun and rifle and case of shells for each. A super heavy duty sleepingbag like @Sourdough uses and the insulated draw curtain across front of sleeping nook like i mentioned before, you be good to go with minimal effort. Between fishing and hunting and gardening and dry goods i feel sure it give me year of 'life' at the very least without outside items coming in.

For something that size, I would absolutely place it on wheels.

In fact, that is what I did.

10x6 sloping to 10x8 at roof level.

Two beds, a stove, 15 gallons of water. No kitchen or bathroom. Designed as a warm, dry place to sleep, with living happening outside. Its my spare room at home, and by bug out cabin, wherever I take it.

IMG_6939.jpeg

Latest posts

Back