Our First Garden

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nolefanjon

Friend
Neighbor
Hello, everyone! I hope everyone is doing well! I just wanted to share our progress on our first garden. We have decided to keep things simple by doing just one large raised bed for now, and adding more throughout the year. Finding the time to build this thing has been the hardest part! We are also cleaning up a small plot to plant our potatoes and zucchini in on the ground, as well as setting up about 6 or 7 old mineral buckets for peppers and tomatoes. We planted our onions yesterday in 1/3 of our raised bed. Can't wait to see how they do!

Attachments

• IMG_4290.jpg
    IMG_4290.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 12
Hello, everyone! I hope everyone is doing well! I just wanted to share our progress on our first garden. We have decided to keep things simple by doing just one large raised bed for now, and adding more throughout the year. Finding the time to build this thing has been the hardest part! We are also cleaning up a small plot to plant our potatoes and zucchini in on the ground, as well as setting up about 6 or 7 old mineral buckets for peppers and tomatoes. We planted our onions yesterday in 1/3 of our raised bed. Can't wait to see how they do!
I do a lot of raised beds too! My soil is mostly red clay. Keep us posted on the progress please!

I do a lot of raised beds too! My soil is mostly red clay. Keep us posted on the progress please!
Most of 5he dirt around here is the same clay. I buy a "Special Mix" the local landscape place sells and it is great. But if I had to improve my dirt I would go with follow the advise from ...

Gardening When it Counts

Gardening When It Counts: Growing Food in Hard Times (Mother Earth News Wiser Living Series, 5)
Where steve solomon explains how to analyze the soil to figure out to fix it. Yes compost but what my dirt needs is sand. Lots if sand.

Ben

Most of 5he dirt around here is the same clay. I buy a "Special Mix" the local landscape place sells and it is great. But if I had to improve my dirt I would go with follow the advise from ...

Gardening When it Counts

Gardening When It Counts: Growing Food in Hard Times (Mother Earth News Wiser Living Series, 5)
Where steve solomon explains how to analyze the soil to figure out to fix it. Yes compost but what my dirt needs is sand. Lots if sand.

Ben
I use donkey poo!

I'm extremely thankful for good, dark soil here where we are. We are trying the hugelkultur method with this bed, so just logs, limbs, leaves, and soil are in it. I was going to add some garden soil as well but I want to see how well it does without adding anything to it. Fingers crossed!

I'm extremely thankful for good, dark soil here where we are. We are trying the hugelkultur method with this bed, so just logs, limbs, leaves, and soil are in it. I was going to add some garden soil as well but I want to see how well it does without adding anything to it. Fingers crossed!
A friend of mine had some hugelkultur beds done at her home. The wood that was greener sprouted and started growing trees where she wanted to plant vegetables.

A friend of mine had some hugelkultur beds done at her home. The wood that was greener sprouted and started growing trees where she wanted to plant vegetables.
I used logs that had been down for a year or more so didn't have that issue. They have settled quite a bit as the logs rot down.

Ben

Latest posts

Back