Oxygen Crash Course

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peanut

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Can someone give me the highlites? My mom is now going to need oxygen at home. She's been kept at the hospital for almost 40hrs because of insurance issues... who pays, how much does oxygen cost? And finding someone to deliver what the doctor ordered...

I know absolutely nothing about acquiring/keeping/maintaining an oxygen rig for home use. Any shared experience would be appreciated.

My Mom was on O2 for years.
Medicare and Medicaid paid for it.
She had a concentrator for home and bottles for when she went somewhere.
All her supplies were delivered and any maintenance was covered by a company called Lincare.
They have offices in your state.
Call them and they can help you figure it out.
If a doctor prescribes O2 then it should be covered by insurance.

My Mom was on O2 for years.
Medicare and Medicaid paid for it.
She had a concentrator for home and bottles for when she went somewhere.
All her supplies were delivered and any maintenance was covered by a company called Lincare.
They have offices in your state.
Call them and they can help you figure it out.
If a doctor prescribes O2 then it should be covered by insurance.
I believe Lincare is the largest 'home oxygen' company and they are everywhere in the U.S.
I googled them, and up popped the location 5 miles from me:).

We took a road trip in 2001 and my Mom thought she didn't need to take O2 bottles.
When we got to Yellowstone she quickly realized the oxygen level was reduced at altitude.
I resisted the urge to tell her I told you so.
I called the Lincare office she got her stuff from at home and they contacted the office in the next town.
When we arrived they had everything all ready to go. Tanks, hoses, & cannulas.
They immediately took a tank and hose to mom in the car and she recovered pretty fast.
I signed the paperwork and we drove on. No money paid. Everything was billed to her insurance.

Three years ago I was able to buy a home O2 concentrator off Amazon for a reasonable amount. If you can get insurance to pay for it you should get maintenance and training along with the device. If you know a local fireman or EMT 15 minutes training with them should give you what you need, if the O2 provider doesn't.

Husband has a concentrator that is hooked up to his BiPap machine at 3 liters for sleeping. Easy to use a concentrator, just turn it on, and put on the canula and stick it in your nose. Then you don't have to fuss with bottles. Runs off electricity. And a solar charged battery (we've done it) We have bottles, too, the big ol green ones. Those are a pain to lug around, and depending on how many liters you have it on, it may not last all night. We emptied all of ours when little Brenda the neighbor girl needed O2. Just had them refilled. We also have a portable pulse ox unit. They're over a thousand to buy, but it's worth it to have for husband. Lightweight, has a shoulder strap, too. His is an Inogen One, and we've seen them cheaper used, too. Today I put it on the back handle of the wheel chair as I pushed him to his appts all day. We have two batteries to it, one lasts all day. We use it when we're out and in the car alot. But it gives you oxygen in a pulse, not a continuous like what he uses for sleeping. Medicare covers alot. After you do the pulmonary function tests (yearly) and possibly a sleep study.

Thanks everyone.. immediate need taken care of... She has a generator and several bottles for remote use. Some company the insurance arranged, out of Birmingham, never heard of them.

Got a lot on my plate at the moment. I can look at other options at a latter date, bigger or better can wait.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back