Panic Buying Hitting Costco and Big Box Retailers

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lets do some math
CDC says between 22,000 and 55,000 in a 6 month period
lets use 40,000 it is in he middle
40,000 divided by 6 [months] is 6666.6 dead each month
6666.6 divided by 30 [days in a month] 222.2 deaths per day in the USA due to the flu
View attachment 37543

It's a game of percentages. Covid has a much higher mortality rate. When there are as many cases of covid as regular flu (and there will be) you will see the regular flu pales in comparison.

https://medium.com/@Jason_Scott_War...st-understand-about-the-pandemic-2b0145881993

Last edited:
COVID is 10 to 50 times more deadly depending on where you are and what age and condition you're in. The real bummer is that COVID-19 can kill you even if you are young, healthy, and never catch it. If you wind up in ER and there are no beds and no staff to help you, too bad so sad. Now let's say you go to the ER for something and they do see you and treat you but after sitting for hours amount sick people you get to take home a generous case for our new wonder flu.

It's a game of percentages. Covid has a much higher mortality rate. When there are as many cases of covid as regular flu (and there will be) you will see the regular flu pales in comparison.

https://medium.com/@Jason_Scott_War...st-understand-about-the-pandemic-2b0145881993

Chinese flu only has a higher death percentage due to the fact influenza has a immunisation shot.
with out that shot it is more deadly.
as far as a game of percentages. The Chinese virus has not been around long enough to have numbers that can be calculated. It is nothing more than opinion and presumption driven by politics and fear.

Outstanding!
We see this every hurricane.
People flock to the stores to buy all the generators leaving none for others that actually need one.
They get them home and never unbox them. They float the price on plastic so it costs them nothing when they all bring them back after the storm is over to a place like Lowes that has a "no questions asked" return policy.
The return credit posts before the end of the 25-day billing cycle on that card so the purchase never happens.
FREE STUFF BABY!!!! :woo hoo:
I remember when a hurricane hit & our generator broke. Took it to the authorized repair guy & asked him to fix it. He refused & said he could make more money selling new ones than fixing old ones & told us to go f**** ourselves when we said we didn't want to buy a new one. We reported him to the BBB & the manufacturer-- mfr was pretty pissed off about it and stopped selling generators to him. He went out of business.

A friend who works as a manager at Walmart told me the new hours are 7am to 8:30pm & that new larger trucks will be coming in with supplies. I will need to find a way to hide food from my brother since he has been eating everything he could find (including stuff I'd hidden but the cats knocked stuff down and revealed the food so he ate it). I also need to come up with better meal plans & find something Mom will agree to eat. Problem is, she's *very* picky & somehow expects me to make her 5 star restaurant quality food out of frozen stuff and boxed stuff.

Next time I go to Samsclub I'm going to have to get more cat food. Hopefully they will have chicken noodle soup as my brother has consumed almost 2 full cases of it in a week. I saw a single can for sale on Amazon for $44.99.

I have said it before, and I will say it again. When your math relies on statistics being produced by groups known to be unreliable and even blatantly dishonest, when your "knowledge" comes from sources basing their information on opinions and assumptions rather than facts (which are VERY hard to come by right now), and when the media and even government sources are irresponsibly pushing out criminally false and misleading information all day every day; all you can do is sit back and see what's happening in your community (and your region). Tangible things you can verify to be true. Everything else has to be taken with a HUGE grain of salt. The same way our nation was (is) polarized politically, we are now all becoming polarized by COVID-19. We are "choosing" what to believe and then sticking with it as gospel. And maybe that's all we can do in the face of something like this.

Chinese flu only has a higher death percentage due to the fact influenza has a immunisation shot.
with out that shot it is more deadly.
as far as a game of percentages. The Chinese virus has not been around long enough to have numbers that can be calculated. It is nothing more than opinion and presumption driven by politics and fear.

Good luck with that. The numbers have been pretty clear since it moved out of china. The are available for you to do the math. As we dont have a vaccine and are unlikely to have one in the short term the vaccine consideration is besides the point.

Guys and gals, are you ready for a stronger stay in place order where you are, like within this coming week? If not, think about it.
Yeah. Bring it BABY!!!!
(Of course I am still in mourning that the next NASCAR race will feature the drivers all driving in simulators)
Is there no humanity?!!!
overreaction110.gif

On topic: I got beer today. More than plenty in stock at the store. We're good!:woo hoo:

Governor of LA said people have to stay in except for doctor's appointments, groceries, & essential stuff. I wanted to order some stuff online but it was out-of-stock. The dog food my dogs eat is no longer in stock & I'm not sure why. I'll have to see what I can get from Samsclub (if it is even still open).

Did some more panic buying :) from Walmart online. Got some longer term food items that we normally eat. Trying to build up our supplies even more in case our sons and their spouses end up here. I think it will end up being bad because of the economic situation.

@zannej, can you order from Chewy.com? Or are they the ones who are out of stock?
Chewy is out too. I have small dogs so I get Purina Beneful Incredibites dry dog food (chicken flavor) & every site I've checked has said "out of stock". Samsclub has the cat food at least, but they limit to 1 per customer and I have a lot of cats so it goes fast.

Latest posts

Back