Pasta Sauce, recipes and recommendations for store bought sauce

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That was a good video! I use jarred sauce more than I like to, comes in handy! I can always taste the sugar. I use Newman's Own because it's not so sweet!
Why not make your own to your liking and just can it up? It does take some time to do your sauce if using fresh tomatoes, but the canning process it not that horrible unless you add in your meat.

Why not make your own to your liking and just can it up? It does take some time to do your sauce if using fresh tomatoes, but the canning process it not that horrible unless you add in your meat.
I do make my own, sometimes. Have my aunt Cass' recipe! Easy works sme days!!

I always buy the brand that comes in the 24oz Atlas, Mason standard mouth canning jars.. Yes.. You can recycle these jars for many home pressure canned goods.. I used them for all kinds of garden produce, but not for meat...

All the ...lug... style sauce jars I donated to the local ...Italian Club... as there fund raiser was selling homemade sauce and frozen meat balls... Good eats...

https://www.sweetashoney.co/cottage-cheese-pasta-sauce/#recipe-card

Cottage Cheese Pasta Sauce​

Ingredients​

• 2 teaspoons Olive Oil or butter
  • 1 ½ cup Cottage Cheese
  • ¾ cup Skim Milk or half-half (note 1)
  • ½ cup Parmesan Cheese grated
  • 6 Garlic Cloves
  • 1 pinch Black Pepper to taste
  • 1 pinch Salt to taste
  • 2 tablespoons Cornstarch (note 2)
  • 4 tablespoons Water
  • 8 ounces Cooked Pasta spaghetti, fettuccine or penne

Instructions​

• Cook the pasta following the packaging instructions for al dente pasta. Drain, Set aside.
  • Add the cottage cheese, skim milk, and Parmesan to the jug of a high-speed blender or food processor.
  • Blend on high speed until creamy, thick, and smooth. Set aside.
  • In a medium saucepan, over medium heat, add olive oil and sautée the garlic until fragrant – about 30 seconds to 1 minute.
  • Pour the blended cottage cheese mixture, and bring to a gentle simmer. The sauce will thin out very quickly and look as thin as water, and that's normal. Reduce to low heat.
  • In a small bowl, whisk cornstarch with cold water. Whisk in the warm sauce and cook until the cottage cheese sauce thickens.

• Stir in the cooked pasta of choice and cook for a few extra minutes until warm and the pasta is coated with the sauce.
  • Serve with freshly chopped Parsley over any pasta you love.

Storage​

• Store for up to 3 days in the fridge in an airtight container. The sauce thickens in the fridge, and rewarm with a splash of water to loosen the sauce. Freeze for up to one month and thaw in the refrigerator the day before.

Notes​

Note 1: Feel free to use unsweetened almond milk or soy milk.

Note 2: You can use 1/2 teaspoon of guar gum. You don’t need to stir the guar gum in cold water. Sprinkle over the sauce and whisk until it gets thick.

Last edited:
This is the recipe that I can year after year.

https://www.favfamilyrecipes.com/canned-spaghetti-sauce/
https://www.favfamilyrecipes.com/canned-spaghetti-sauce/

Homemade Canned Spaghetti Sauce​

Homemade Canned Spaghetti Sauce is FAR better than anything you can find in a store. You'll love the rich, savory flavor. The best way to use fresh garden tomatoes!

Prep Time20minutes mins
Cook Time4hours hrs
Processing40minutes mins
Total Time5hours hrs 40minutes mins

Course: Canning
Cuisine: Italian
Keyword: Canned Spaghetti Sauce

Servings: 60 servings

Calories: 54kcal

Author: Erica Walker

Ingredients​

Instructions​

• Fill a large pot or Dutch oven half-way with water, bring to a boil. Using a slotted spoon, add tomatoes one at a time until you can't fit any more (about 8-10 tomatoes).
  • Boil for 1-2 minutes. Remove tomatoes one at a time with slotted spoon and plunge in an icewater bath. Peel and quarter tomatoes.
  • In a food processor, cover and process green peppers and onions in batches until finely chopped (if you want to add extra flavor, saute the peppers and onions in a little oil and a pinch of salt before processing).

In a large stockpot, combine the tomatoes (do not discard excess juices from the tomatoes), onion/pepper mixture, tomato paste, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, salt, garlic, oregano, basil, pepper flakes, and bay leaves.
  • Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 4-5 hours, stirring every 15 minutes or so (tomatoes burn easily so keep an eye on it). Discard bay leaves.

If you want to make your sauce thick and smooth, use an immersion blender to blend the tomatoes until smooth with no large chunks (you can also blend it in batches in a blender).
  • Add 2 tablespoons lemon juice to 9 or 10 hot 1-quart jars (depending on how much sauce you have). Ladle hot mixture into jars, leaving 1/2-in. headspace at the top. Remove air bubbles; wipe rims and adjust lids.

For Water Bath Canning:​

• Process for 40 minutes in a boiling-water canner for altitudes of 1,000 feet or less. For altitudes up to 3,000 feet, add 5 minutes; 6,000 feet, add 10 minutes; 8,000 feet, add 15 minutes; 10,000 feet, add 20 minutes.

For Pressure Canning:​

• Using a weighted-gauge pressure canner, process 20 minutes for pint jars and 25 minutes for quart jars. Process at 10 lb for altitudes between 0-1,000 feet. Process at 15 lb for altitudes above 1,000 feet.

Notes​

• This recipe makes 9-10 quart-sized jars
  • Our Uncle Larry is arguably the best gardener ever. He always has an immaculate garden and has studied and taught about gardening. The man knows ALL the tricks to get plants to grow. Uncle Larry has 10 green thumbs! His techniques have been passed around the family, luckily for us. He shared his secrets with our mom, who also grows a bountiful garden every year. To learn more about our tips and tricks for growing tomatoes, see our full guide.
  • This spaghetti sauce recipe freezes beautifully and lasts for several months in freezer bags or freezer-safe containers. Just make sure to thaw the sauce completely in the refrigerator before re-heating. If you DO want to add more random ingredients like ground beef or extra veggies, freezing is a good way to go if you are worried about acidity levels.

Nutrition​

Calories: 54kcal | Carbohydrates: 12g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 547mg | Potassium: 511mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 1858IU | Vitamin C: 41mg | Calcium: 35mg | Iron: 1mg

While this thread is about pasta sauce, pasta has many varieties and uses. I used to make a seafood pasta salad using ring pasta, which I am not seeing on this guide. For storage, I try to keep the thinnest spaghetti I can find, vermicelli.View attachment 111041
Something I don’t think very many folks know is that typically the thicker the sauce, the “bulkier” the pasta. The thinner the sauce, the finer the pasta. For your vermicelli, it would go best with a very thin marinara or no sauce like in an antipasto as a filler.

The 24oz canning jars work quite well preserving things for 2 people..
Anyone have experience with making, using a parmesan powder like this ?? I love, love the creamy sauce..

https://trailcooking.com/dry-mixes-seasonings/parmesan-cheese-sauce-powder-mix/

Parmesan Cheese Sauce Powder Mix​

Parmesan Cheese Sauce Powder Mix

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup dry milk
  • 1½ tsp dried garlic
  • ½ tsp onion powder (not onion salt)
  • ½ tsp ground black pepper
  • ¼ cup shelf stable parmesan or romano cheese
Instructions:
Mix all ingredients and store in a tightly closed container (plastic bag or tub). Keeps for up to 4 months, stored away from heat. Long-term storage in the refrigerator is a good choice.
To use:
Combine ¼ cup mix with 2 tablespoons melted butter and ¼ cup water.
Makes about 5 portions.

Notes:
Add salt to taste.
This mix works well with cooked and dehydrated pasta. ¼ cup of the dry mix with 4 to 5 ounces of dehydrated pasta. (Weight after cooking and dehydrating pasta). Olive oil can be subbed for butter.

Basic Tomato sauce:

3/4 cup onion (chopped)

5 cloves garlic (minced)

1/4 cup olive oil

2 (28 ounce) cans Crush Tomatoes

2 teaspoons salt

1 teaspoon white sugar

1 bay leaf

1(6 ounce) can tomato paste

3/4 teaspoon dried basil

1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper

Preparation:

1. In a large saucepan over medium heat, saute onion and garlic in olive oil until onion is Soft.
  2. Stir in tomatoes, salt, sugar and bay leaf. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer 90 minutes.
  3. Stir in tomato paste, basil, 1/2 teaspoon pepper and simmer 30 minutes more.

I wonder how many of you make your own pasta sauce? Would you be willing to share your recipes?

Pasta is one of the things that is recommended for food storage, and we need sauce to go with it, tomato sauce or creamy Alfredo sauce. Do you make it and can it? Do you make it the day you serve it? Do you purchase premade sauce?

I haven't been eating much pasta in a few years, except in my summer pasta salad that I make about once a summer. Recently I made a recipe from Taste of Home for Oven baked spaghetti for a church event. For the recipe, I purchased some sauce. Then the recipe turned out so good, I decided to make it again for another church event. The first time I made the recipe, it was so much better than the second time. I used a different sauce, because I didn't even think about how different it would be with a different sauce.
I looked for recommendations of sauces and which ones are rated the best. OMG, you can pay $12 for a jar of sauce to get the "best" or "better" sauce. Not me, but I thought I might like to do a taste test, or to get some input on which ones you prefer to purchase, or your recipes to make and can some.

Also, any good recipes to use the sauce with? I'll post the baked spaghetti recipe later. It has gotten so many good responses by people who have eaten it.
I try to make about 96 pints of sauce a year.
Whether it's spaghetti sauce, enchilda sauce, tomato sauce, that's usually my goal.
In my humble opinion it just taste better.

I can make a good homemade tomato pasta sauce. But these days I just use store bought. The only kind I will eat right now is Rao's.

It's the sugar - the sweetness - that I can't stand. Prego and Ragu are too sweet. Classico was good for a while, but it's also too sweet for my taste. Rao's has less sugar than most.

I was spoiled by the spaghetti sauces in Italy which were made with fresh tomatoes and no sugar as far as I could tell. Their tomatoes tasted like my grandma's home grown tomatoes (not like the store bought ones now) and just a plain spaghetti pomodoro was to die for. I like arrabiata (rabid) (spicy) sauce and also Rao's vodka sauce is pretty good.

I haven't purchased pasta sauce for eons.
General homemade spaghetti as follows:
Brown Italian Sausage - once partially browned, add finely chopped onions.
When onions are tender, add minced garlic (to taste 😜) as well as basil, oregano, and marjoram & a little salt.
The amounts of herbs - I just use my fingers but for reference 2 parts basil, 1 part oregano and 1 part marjoram.
Once this is well mixed and cooked, add diced tomatoes (fresh or canned) and tomato sauce.
Again as reference for 1 lb. of ssg. 2 cups of tomatoes with juice and 1 cup of tomato sauce - roughly.
It will be on the thin side if you used canned tomatoes. Let it remain at a rolling simmer while you cook your pasta.
Stir periodically, reduce heat if necessary.
Pasta + Sauce + freshly grated parmesan cheese = Delicious

Note: if you cook and dehydrate spaghetti squash, it rehydrates / reheats in about the same amount of time as pasta and has a much more favorable texture than when freshly baked.

My Sicilian Grandma
Basic Tomato sauce:

3/4 cup onion (chopped)

5 cloves garlic (minced)

1/4 cup olive oil

2 (28 ounce) cans Crush Tomatoes

2 teaspoons salt

1 teaspoon white sugar

1 bay leaf

1(6 ounce) can tomato paste

3/4 teaspoon dried basil

1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper

Preparation:

1. In a large saucepan over medium heat, saute onion and garlic in olive oil until onion is Soft.
  2. Stir in tomatoes, salt, sugar and bay leaf. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer 90 minutes.
  3. Stir in tomato paste, basil, 1/2 teaspoon pepper and simmer 30 minutes more.
This is basically how my Sicilian Nana used to make sauce. Except she used tomato paste with equal cans of water and a pinch of baking soda to reduce acid.

Me? I’m lazy. I like Prego and I like its sweetness. But first I brown a pound of ground Italian sausage, sliced onions, sliced baby portabellas, a bit of diced garlic and a sprinkle of Italian seasoning.

Latest posts

Back