Peeping Tom ?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluetick21

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
So last week I believe I had someone peeping in my back door around 1 am The door was locked of course but my inside dog started going ballistic her tone told me this was serious and possibly a threat. I go to investigate of course I didn’t see anything and and my outside dogs (in kennels)wasn’t barking. I didn’t catch anything on my cameras so I calm down and finally fall back to sleep. The next day I decide I’m gonna see if I can find any foot prints or any evidence that someone was actually here. I did find where the had slid down the bank and a few foot prints.
Two nights later my brother living on the same property maybe 200 yards away at 12:30 am has someone knock on his door He waited and didn’t hear any so he goes out to find no one.
I don’t know if they are just testing to see who’s home. Or what they can get by with? I don’t know.
Nothing has been stolen And they seem to know where my cameras are at and also knows how to avoid my outside dogs.

I’m beginning to wonder what’s really going on. Why he’s doing what he is. I just assumed at first it was some crackhead but with nothing missing And avoiding my cameras I’m not so sure.

Thoughts? Advice?
As always thank you and God bless!

I'd consider putting out one or more new cameras. These should be well hidden. Don't move the current ones, he has those pegged.

I carry a gun, even inside. I would certainly have one were I investigating a possible threat.

That’s no problem I always have iron in my pocket unless I’m sleeping it’s on the nightstand.
My main concern is if they ain’t here to steal. I begin to worry more about the safety of my wife and kids

Someone may be staking out your place to steal or to do harm. They may keep trying to see if there will be a breach in your security at sometime.

I have had peeping toms, but now my windows have three layers of coverings--blinds, thin curtains, heavier curtains. I still get light in through the windows, but I am doing my best to maintain my privacy.

If you think they are there to steal, how secure are your out buildings? I have hasps and padlocks on some of mine, deadbolts on some, and locking door knobs on all of them. I have a padlock on my electrical meter, because someone could just open it and turn it off otherwise.

I have had people knock on my door, day and night. I have had signs on my door, "Did I know you were coming? If not, I won't be answering the door." I've told the JW's to leave me alone and they have. Besides the proselytizing, they always looked in the windows. Am I the only person who was raised not to look in other people's windows? That it is considered to be rude behavior?

Last edited:
Until yesterday my sheds have been there unlocked and a side by side in the yard with keys in it. Plenty of easy targets Of course it’s all locked up now

Also the only window I have that anyone could see threw is my back door Just so happens it’s in my laundry room where the dogs sleep

It's hard to get close enough to peek in my windows. All fenced, 11 cameras, windows and doors alarmed, and a Teddy Ruxpin. Teddy is like Swayze in "Roadhouse", he's nice, until it's time to not be nice, then it's "Next of Kin, Bus full of snakes" time.

Screenshot 2023-02-05 at 10.01.48 PM.png

Would love to have my place all fenced. But I live in the middle of 90 acres and just can’t afford that.
Also plan on adding a few more cameras very soon I did put up my cell trail cam where he came in before

Fish line trip line in various areas around the property and on known trails. Simple but annoying in the middle of the night. Have a few at ankle level then have a few at neck level or chest level. If they are in areas where you don't normally walk it will be a deterrent for unwelcomed visitors. Solar powered motion lights in those areas as well, high up and aiming down. And, just like in the old war movies, in normal walking areas trip wires with cans with a hand full of rocks will make enough noise to wake up the outside dogs.

Great ideas. I kept trying to think of ways that would alert me in side That’s a good idea to alert my outside dogs. I did pick up some solar motion lights today that I’ll put up tomorrow

Obviously not bullet proof. But that’s impressive!
If you replace your glass with polycarbonate you will gain bullet resistance. I was working with a product called Tuffak (brand). One of the guards and I took a piece of scrap 1/4" Tuffak out to a rock quarry and bounced every .38 we tried off of it. Most of the .357's bounced depending on bullet shape and loading. Rocks would be no problem.

I have a temp way to cover a large area, fishing line and little child guard sensors for cabinet doors. They are a couple bucks each at the dollar store. 2 parts, one has a magnet, pulled apart it makes a high pitched, loud tone. I can hear one at 200yrds on a quiet night.

For next to nothing you can annoy the crap out of any one sneaking around. Hang 200yds of line, a dozen sensors... They'll be more hesitant if there is a next time.

I bought them to use in an emergency. When I had to know if someone is following, or approaching.. Leave them afterwards, disposable.

Trip wire (2).jpg

On the original topic, I went to Harbor Freight and purchased a little battery operated item called a driveway alert. I mounted the small remote "movement detector" transmitter inside my mailbox, and the receiver is placed inside. When my mail lady opens the mailbox, it triggers the transmitter and I receive a nice melody on my receiver placed by the front door. I plan on purchasing a few more of these inexpensive driveway alerts and setting them up on both sides of the house, so if a peeping tom decides to come near any windows, I will be notified immediately. Just food for thought.

https://www.harborfreight.com/wireless-security-alert-system-57937.html

I'd have to have some fun with the situation and rig up something like I sometimes do for bear alerts when camping during heavy bear activity. Take a spool of fishing line and run it all around the property at a few different heights and then attach bells all over them. They get tangled in that and they may think twice about coming back if they know they have been noticed.

Latest posts

Back