Physical Reactions To Medications

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meerkat

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
DRUGS AND HERBS BOTH CAN BE TOXIC

Thought this would be a topic for us who take medicine and what to look out for or keep an chek on.
Medicine saves millions of lives but it also has side effects to watch out for.
Also it has been proven that some are more sensitive to certain drugs than others.
I thought this may be a good thread to put up that hopfully doesn't scare anyone but just to be informed.

Last edited:
KIDNEY MEDICATIONS,

I am having to cut back on my BP med because it is affecting my bladder and kidneys.
So now instead of taking it eveyday I take it every other day and it keeps my BP in check without the other problems.

I found that the one I take can harm kidneys but so can high blood pressure,so its a catch22 with meds sometimes.

https://www.goodrx.com/blog/10-worst-medications-for-your-kidneys/

Last edited:
My kidney function problems just started this year after changing a bunch of my heart meds.

I just found out yesterday that my liver enzymes have been up and down for last 11 years, but is now staying up, and I'm sure it's meds.

So I'm getting ready to have a serious talk with doctors about dropping a bunch and only keeping the very necessary ones.

Told wife , I'd rather drop dead suddenly from the heart stopping than a slow death with organ failure.

I'm very close to quitting all of the synthetic toxic chemicals.

Jim

My kidney function problems just started this year after changing a bunch of my heart meds.

I just found out yesterday that my liver enzymes have been up and down for last 11 years, but is now staying up, and I'm sure it's meds.

So I'm getting ready to have a serious talk with doctors about dropping a bunch and only keeping the very necessary ones.

Told wife , I'd rather drop dead suddenly from the heart stopping than a slow death with organ failure.

Jim

Jim I put this thread up with you in mind,I know your so busy with yourself and wife at the time so I did a little research like I do for myself and hubby.
So maybe this is something youcan study and see if possibly maybe lowering or using diffrent med can help you. And your sweet wife.

Jim

Well don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.Just do a little research and make an informed decision.

Thanks @Meerkat ,
Btw , I do not have any of the symptoms listed in that liver posted above.

I do have heart failure symptoms mentioned in the art failure post above.

I'm positive that my kidney and liver problems are result of meds.
They took me off all nsaids early this year, and salt is a no-no.

Pretty sure I'm gonna be dropping some meds.
I already stopped Eliquist.
After 2 months on it I experienced internal bleeding. It stopped when I stopped taking it.

You gotta take control of your health , not let the money grubbers use you to make money.

Jim

Thanks @Meerkat ,
Btw , I do not have any of the symptoms listed in that liver posted above.

I do have heart failure symptoms mentioned in the art failure post above.

I'm positive that my kidney and liver problems are result of meds.
They took me off all nsaids early this year, and salt is a no-no.

Pretty sure I'm gonna be dropping some meds.
I already stopped Eliquist.
After 2 months on it I experienced internal bleeding. It stopped when I stopped taking it.

You gotta take control of your health , not let the money grubbers use you to make money.

Jim

Eliquist Plavix same family, actually almost killed me or made me end it all myself. I've never been icker than that med made me.

But then again my SIL takes Eliquist with no problem along with nother drug to help with side efects of that one.

Don't forget , my best friend is a retired surgeon and a walking wikipedia on pharmaceuticals.

I need to get together with him and go over everything.

He is the smartest guy on pharma I know.

Jim

Thats good and I'm sure he is a good man.

If I could find a supplement that would keep my heart rate down, I have afib, I would be off all meds.

I can go from under 80 bpm to over 100 by not taking my meds. That is the issue with my heart.

Jim, i do not limit salt intake. Your body needs sodium

Been watching Dr Ken Berry on YouTube

He's 83 years old and still sharp as a tack.

He called the ER director at local hospital last week and called them idiots.
They diagnosed his neighbor with vertigo....he told vertigo is a symptom..not a diagnosis. He was pissed.
He's old school , thousands of hours in surgery. He was 4 state medical administrator for the prison systems after he retired from surgery .

We are best friends we only use each other's skills when necessary.

He's also a genius.
Graduated med school with honors at 21.

Jim

@Cnsper , I take Amiodorone to regulate my heart rate.
So far it's working , doesn't matter what I'm doing pulse is 55-60.

With congestive heart failure salt can be a killer..makes me retain too much fluids , my weight(due to fluid retention) can go up as much as 8 lbs in one day. About 10 years ago they diagnosed me with congestive heart failure , said 5 years if I do everything right. They say I get enough naturally in foods.
I had 2 episodes this year , where my rate hit 182 before they stopped and restarted me.
Hasn't happened again since Amiodorone.

Jim

After my heart surgery, into physical exercise classes 3 times a week with other cardio recovery people. We were told cut back on red meat, dairy including butter, sugar, salt, flour products, eat whole foods. (Okay, look, I already ate like that). Watch portion sizes. And exercise! Weights and walking are great.

This isn't exactly changing the topic of the thread, but when people start doing these types of things, a lot of the time their medications have to be reduced or cut completely because they see great improvement.
Stop drinking coffee. Okay, cut it back to 2 cups a day instead of 2 pots a day. Sodas? Cut them back too. Drink lots of water.
Explore vitamins and other supplements. Maybe taking more potassium, magnesium, etc. would help you. (Don't take them at the same time).
A lot of conditions are genetic so until we learn how to defeat that monster, do the best you can with whole fresh foods.
Edited to add: directed at no one in particular

DOCTORS THIRD LEADING CAUSE OF DEATH IN AMERICA

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/02/22/medical-errors-third-leading-cause-of-death-in-america.html

• A recent Johns Hopkins study claims more than 250,000 people in the U.S. die every year from medical errors. Other reports claim the numbers to be as high as 440,000.
  • Medical errors are the third-leading cause of death after heart disease and cancer.
  • Advocates are fighting back, pushing for greater legislation for patient safety.

Surely now giving ANY ADVICE or saying to listen just saying that it can be wise to be involved with your care.

I am down to one baby aspirin once a day and one half of BP durietic HTZ ? spl. every other.

I had BP last Sept 26th of 243/218 very high so went to er which told me he had to bring it down slowly or it could kill me so he admitted me put me in waiting room with dozens of sick flu paitiants to wait for hospital bed to lower it.
After 3 hours we left and went to my doctor at teaching hospital. Primary Care dr. said go fill Lisinipril and take one soon as I get the med at drug store.That was my first Lisinipril pill and my last one. Now Ihave no peripheial vision,tunnel vision and blank spots when reading.
Ironocally 4 months before routine complete eye exam and blood work had theem laughtying and saying I had beter blook thanthme and better vision,20/20 maybe a small catarac that may need surgery in FIVE YEARS. Now they blame the blindness on cataracs.They are such liars it is maddening. I went to anothe eye doctor in another town and county and he said you don't haave cataracs you have had a srroke and showed me on the test where dark spot my eyes had bled out or whatever.
And I won't even tell the story 'again' about the stent implanting scum.

Belive me ot not doctors and drugs are the THIRD leading cause of death in the USA

This is the same drug they kept telling me to take but I refused [ side effects] for the last 20 years. But since BP was so high I took the damn pill first one ever in my life and 1 hour later I had a stroke that partially permalently blinded me from BP drop to 110/64.
If they would have put me into hospital brought it down slowly I'd still have good eye sight.

After my heart surgery, into physical exercise classes 3 times a week with other cardio recovery people. We were told cut back on red meat, dairy including butter, sugar, salt, flour products, eat whole foods. (Okay, look, I already ate like that). Watch portion sizes. And exercise! Weights and walking are great.

This isn't exactly changing the topic of the thread, but when people start doing these types of things, a lot of the time their medications have to be reduced or cut completely because they see great improvement.
Stop drinking coffee. Okay, cut it back to 2 cups a day instead of 2 pots a day. Sodas? Cut them back too. Drink lots of water.
Explore vitamins and other supplements. Maybe taking more potassium, magnesium, etc. would help you. (Don't take them at the same time).
A lot of conditions are genetic so until we learn how to defeat that monster, do the best you can with whole fresh foods.
Edited to add: directed at no one in particular

Patch your not changing the subject at all, it is about what your saying. Glsd to have you and others here to counter ,agree or whatever to make sure I'm not being bias or paranoid.:welcome::thumbs:

@Cnsper , I take Amiodorone to regulate my heart rate.
So far it's working , doesn't matter what I'm doing pulse is 55-60.

With congestive heart failure salt can be a killer..makes me retain too much fluids , my weight(due to fluid retention) can go up as much as 8 lbs in one day. About 10 years ago they diagnosed me with congestive heart failure , said 5 years if I do everything right. They say I get enough naturally in foods.
I had 2 episodes this year , where my rate hit 182 before they stopped and restarted me.
Hasn't happened again since Amiodorone.

Jim
That is what I take along with metoprolol

I was taking 7 different meds until I woke up on the ground in the yard not knowing how I got there. Did some checking and figured out blood pressure was getting too low. Got a monitor and started weaning off the meds one at a time.

Doc was not pleased but I can always find another one. I do also have a water pill but only take that as needed.

I am much better at being in tune with my body and listen to it more.

So, I went from 7 meds down to two.

If I could find a supplement that would keep my heart rate down, I have afib, I would be off all meds.

I can go from under 80 bpm to over 100 by not taking my meds. That is the issue with my heart.

Jim, i do not limit salt intake. Your body needs sodium

Been watching Dr Ken Berry on YouTube

Not so much about drugs but more about if its the right drug or doseage for the treatment, Or is the drug nessasary, which many are and SAVE lives. But some can be worse than the illness, and doctors are great on the most part but are also human and can make mistakes. And some doctors are no better than common criminals not many thank God but some are.

He's 83 years old and still sharp as a tack.

He called the ER director at local hospital last week and called them idiots.
They diagnosed his neighbor with vertigo....he told vertigo is a symptom..not a diagnosis. He was pissed.
He's old school , thousands of hours in surgery. He was 4 state medical administrator for the prison systems after he retired from surgery .

We are best friends we only use each other's skills when necessary.

He's also a genius.
Graduated med school with honors at 21.

Jim

Sounds like a great man to haave on your side.:thumbs:

My cousin had a fatal heart attck 30 years aago from taking a diet pill that ws not safe and hurting killing people.She died for about an hour lost elestrilights if I remember.

Since she has been on bloodthinners, pacemaker etc, and so far doing fine she is 65 now. But recently she has been bleeding into her kidneys and will ask nex phone call what they did to help her after dr appt.

Dad's first stroke was caused by prescription meds. I expect the stroke that killed him was a lingering effect.

I've taken myself off at least 8 different cholesterol drugs. My doc says he isn't going to even check my cholesterol anymore as my body doesn't tolerate any of the drugs. I've taken myself off several other drugs and treated my conditions effectively with diet and supplements.

A doctor almost gave me 25 times too much of a med in the hospital but the nurse saved my life by catching the mistake. I've saved a doctor's bacon by catching his mistake with our patients when I was in the field.

... And some doctors are no better than common criminals not many thank God but some are.
I am their worst nightmare.
Every med I take are ones I have taken for over 5 years.
I've taken one statin for decades to keep my cholesterol in tiny numbers.
I don't limit salt or sugar. BP problem was largely caused by stress.
Bye-bye job and panicking, needy people, it's not much of a problem anymore.
Heart rate:
If it is below 70, I drank too much beer.
If it is above 100, there is a nekid woman in sight.
Neither of those problems occur, unfortunately:(.
I tell my doctor as long as this machine is running ok, we are not working on it.
His reply:
"Well, you're no fun!"gaah

I am their worst nightmare.
Every med I take are ones I have taken for over 5 years.
I've taken one statin for decades to keep my cholesterol in tiny numbers.
I don't limit salt or sugar. BP problem was largely caused by stress.
Bye-bye job and panicking, needy people, it's not much of a problem anymore.
Heart rate:
If it is below 70, I drank too much beer.
If it is above 100, there is a nekid woman in sight.
Neither of those problems occur, unfortunately:(.
I tell my doctor as long as this machine is running ok, we are not working on it.
His reply:
"Well, you're no fun!"gaah

All my test for heart came bak normal and even above normal till I went to a certain er connected to heart factaory,THEN all of a sudden hear problems,forget the calsium test perfect, all labs perfect,echogram,good.
I've never taken a colesteol frug in my life although the pushed thme on me for 40 years! Colesterol was 300, good colesterol didn't exist. Plus even worse triglycerides were 400-500 since I was 22. zDon't know how triglycerides can be good for you but I hear we have to have colesterol to fight alzemers aka senility and it is actually good for you.
Only thing wrong with blood work was colesterol and hear that is not always bad..

"

We would not be here without it. No wonder lowering cholesterol too much increases one's risk of dying. Cholesterol is also a precursor to all of the steroid hormones. You cannot make estrogen, testosterone, cortisone and a host of other vital hormones without cholesterol."
Vitamin D and Your Cholesterol

https://www.goodrx.com/blog/is-high-cholesterol-actually-bad-for-you/

Last edited:
A guy went to the ER complaining of heart issues. They released him and sent him home. I caught the ambulance cal the next morning. My evaluation was that he died coming downhill out of the hospital driveway. The truck crossed the highway, idled across the parking lot, and came to rest against a building. It was early morning the he died, there was no traffic, and the parking lot was not lit. Nobody noticed him till after sunrise. I liked the doc but he messed up.

I couldn't live with the horros of Plavix " BUT UNDERSTAND i KNOW OTHERS WHO DO FINE WITH THE DRUG".
Dr said take it or die,I told his nurse on phone I'll die. He prescribed it for a year [he didn't like me] and I stopped it after 5 weeks. We did research it first best we could.

One of the studies I found,

No Stent Thrombosis Seen When Plavix and Aspirin Stopped Early

Stop DART treatment after 3 months,Articles study is done by the stent makers below so its not predjudice,

Reduced DAPT and Stenting | XIENCE Safety Difference

Stop DART treatment after 3 months,Articles study is done by the stent makers below so its not predjudice,

Reduced DAPT and Stenting | XIENCE Safety Difference
I didn't get past their disclaimer:
xiencestent.com said:
The website you have requested is a product-specific website that is NOT intended for U.S. residents. This web content is exclusively reserved for health care professionals in countries with applicable health authority product registrations.
There is a very important reason that this disclaimer is required.
False/skewed information is not allowed in the US.
India, Indonesia, China, etc, just fine :thumbs:.

I didn't get past their disclaimer:

There is a very important reason that this disclaimer is required.
False/skewed information is not allowed in the US.
India, Indonesia, China, etc, just fine :thumbs:.

OH REALLY! you telling me that this quack not only implated me with 2 $30,000 no return gadgets but he also used cheap hardware? I have two of the Xience stents sitting around waiting to screw something up inside my heart and they are made in China toboot, par for the course is all I'm left with.:waiting:I didn't even get a kiss!

ALSO what difference does it make since all our prosucts come from there anywa,seen any factories in this nation lately? We may put them together but most comes unassembled from other places.
Now stop getting me off topic trouble maker, :D

I had 3 stents installed in 2001 on new years day.

They have done many heart caths over the years, they are still keeping my artery open .

I probably would be dead way before now if not for the stents.
My cardiologist , at St Luke's heart center , Milwaukee WI, told me I will not live thru another heart attack, my heart could not make it thru.

I've had 2 events this year, tachycardia , not the same as heart attack.

I'm still strolling , and ain't getting no kisses either.😁

Jim

Latest posts

Back