Pizza is better for you for breakfast than cereal

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weedygarden

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I've been saying this for years!

Pizza is Reportedly a Healthier Breakfast Than Cereal, So Time For Your Morning Slice

https://www.housebeautiful.com/life...fDFCD9cN_QvAmH0SGQ1WpzEbYUMVfYPl6XAF2r37V8mhc

Pizza for breakfast is an American classic. Whether it's cold and taken straight from the box or served after an early morning reheat, it's basically a delicacy all on its own. However, I've never characterized the tradition in any way, shape, or form as healthy. In fact, I'm pretty sure I haven't ever heard 'pizza' and 'healthy' in the same sentence...until now. According to New York-based nutritionist Chelsey Amer, a cheesy, greasy, carb-filled slice is better for you than your favorite breakfast cereal. So, I guess it's time for us all to rethink our a.m. eating habits—and to celebrate.

Amer credits the high sugar content in most cereals for its poor reputation, while The Daily Meal adds the lack of protein and healthy fats are contributing to its "nutritionally bleak" standing. "You may be surprised to find out that an average slice of pizza and a bowl of cereal with whole milk contain nearly the same amount of calories," Amer told the site. "However, pizza packs a much larger protein punch, which will keep you full and boost satiety throughout the morning."

While it still might be a little far-fetched to call your early morning pizza indulgence a healthy option, it's definitely healthier. That counts for something, right!? Amer does credit its protein content and admits, "a slice of pizza contains more fat and much less sugar than most cold cereals, so you will not experience a quick sugar crash."

That's not to say all pizzas, or cereals, are create equal. According to Health'scontributing nutrition editor, Cynthia Sass MPH, RD, not all breakfast cereals have to be off-limits, and some may actually be preferable. "A cereal made with whole grains, nuts or seeds, and fruit with organic grass-fed milk or plant-based milk is a better choice over a grease-laden pizza made with processed meat like pepperoni on a white flour crust," she says.

Is this a win for pizza super fans? Not quite. There are still about million healthier breakfast options, but at least we can feel a little better about the occasional morning slice.

Oatmeal with nuts, dried or fresh fruit, ground flax seed, almond milk, cinnamon, for sweetener i might use maple syrup, honey or brown sugar, that's usually my breakfast. I can't eat eggs. :(
I've never eaten pizza for breakfast. Gives me the shivers just thinking about it. I'm weird anyway.

I switch my breakfasts up . One day may be granola with yogurt and oj, another day will be a frog in the hole and yogurt and oj or another day will be 1 pancake with 2 eggs on top and oj, or oatmeal with dried fruit and walnuts and yogurt and oj. A bacon egg and cheese sandwich is my all time favorite breakfast though.
I have eaten pizza in the past and I've had the other half of a hoagie. It was no big deal. I've even had chicken noodle soup for breakfast lol

Oatmeal with nuts, dried or fresh fruit, ground flax seed, almond milk, cinnamon, for sweetener i might use maple syrup, honey or brown sugar, that's usually my breakfast. I can't eat eggs. :(
I've never eaten pizza for breakfast. Gives me the shivers just thinking about it. I'm weird anyway.
I think the article tells about pizza for breakfast being a thing for many. It has been for me. When you have pizza for dinner, put the leftovers in the fridge, and then eat it for breakfast. Many people that I have talked to like it cold. I am really searching for a good and relatively easy keto recipe for pizza crust now. There is the cauliflower recipe, but there is also a crust made from mozzarella.

You eat a healthy breakfast. I have eaten lots of oatmeal in my life but once I started South Beach a number of years ago, it was something that I mostly quit eating. It is supposed to lower cholesteral and that was one of the reasons I ate it. I am just not a fan of breakfast cereal from a box, and I have read so many stories about how it is not good for us.

For me, it is usually eggs, basted or over easy, with some salsa. I also like to keep hard boiled eggs for the times that I am in a hurry and don't really have time to cook and eat my eggs at home.

And we spent how much to find all this out when I already knew this. Like my ex trying to convince me that pumpkin pie was a desert

Some people...
Pumpkin pie is a dessert. But it is also good for breakfast with a cup of coffee. I have had pie many times for breakfast.

My daughter has ridden her bike in RAGBRAI a couple of times. One of the big things about RAGBRAI is that the routes across Iowa are different each year, to allow each area of the state to get business from it, a financial boost. RAGBRAI lasts a week, and takes bike riders from one side of the state to the other. Pies are a big part of it. One year, I asked my daughter what kind of pie she had eaten. She started naming all the flavors she had eaten and I started counting. I believe she had about 24 or 25 pieces of pie in a week, but she had ridden her bike about 90 to 100 miles a day.

Pumpkin pie is a dessert. But it is also good for breakfast with a cup of coffee. I have had pie many times for breakfast.

My daughter has ridden her bike in RAGBRAI a couple of times. One of the big things about RAGBRAI is that the routes across Iowa are different each year, to allow each area of the state to get business from it, a financial boost. RAGBRAI lasts a week, and takes bike riders from one side of the state to the other. Pies are a big part of it. One year, I asked my daughter what kind of pie she had eaten. She started naming all the flavors she had eaten and I started counting. I believe she had about 24 or 25 pieces of pie in a week, but she had ridden her bike about 90 to 100 miles a day.
RAGBRAI came right through my town last year. I can confirm that there is a lot of pie. And sweet corn. And pork tenderloin. And beer...can't forget the beer. And yes, breakfast pizza is popular too.

Side note: Pancakes seem to be the most popular breakfast food on the ride. I guess when you pedal 90 miles a day for 7 days, you have to load up on carbs...

RAGBRAI came right through my town last year. I can confirm that there is a lot of pie. And sweet corn. And pork tenderloin. And beer...can't forget the beer. And yes, breakfast pizza is popular too.

Side note: Pancakes seem to be the most popular breakfast food on the ride. I guess when you pedal 90 miles a day for 7 days, you have to load up on carbs...
I heard about the beer as well. Daughter has gluten allergy, so beer is off her list. I am sure that does not stop her from hanging out in the places where beer is served, drinking something that is gluten free.

[QUOTE="Weedygarden, post: 94611, member: 29

My daughter has ridden her bike in RAGBRAI a couple of times. One of the big things about RAGBRAI is that the routes across Iowa are different each year, to allow each area of the state to get business from it, a financial boost. RAGBRAI lasts a week, and takes bike riders from one side of the state to the other. Pies are a big part of it. One year, I asked my daughter what kind of pie she had eaten. She started naming all the flavors she had eaten and I started counting. I believe she had about 24 or 25 pieces of pie in a week, but she had ridden her bike about 90 to 100 miles a day.[/QUOTE]

For those not in Iowa what is a ragbrai? Sounds like you are barbecuing a piece of old cloth

[QUOTE="Weedygarden, post: 94611, member: 29

For those not in Iowa what is a ragbrai? Sounds like you are barbecuing a piece of old cloth[/QUOTE]

Registrars Annual Great Bicycle Ride Across Iowa

https://ragbrai.com/
https://ragbrai.com/about/RAGBRAI is an annual seven-day bicycle ride across the state. Heading into its 46th year, RAGBRAI is the oldest, largest and longest multi-day recreational bicycle touring event in the world. Des Moines Register Media has been the title sponsor of RAGBRAI since 1973.

Description
Riders begin at a community on Iowa's western border and ride to a community on the eastern border, stopping in towns across the state. The ride is one week (seven days) long, ending on the last Saturday of July each year, after beginning on the previous Sunday. The earliest possible starting date is July 19 and the latest is July 25.

RAGBRAI holds an annual lottery which selects approximately 8,500 week-long riders. The lottery is held beginning November 15 of the previous year and until April 1. Random computer selection determines the participants. A registration form is available on the RAGBRAI web site and can either be entered online or printed and mailed to the Des Moines Register. Entrants are notified by email on May 1 as to the lottery results. There are also passes on a first come, first served basis for 1,500 day riders; these are limited to three per person. Additionally, Iowa bicycle clubs and charters, as well as teams and groups (many from out of state), receive a number of passes for which members apply through those organizations.[1] Despite the official limits, unregistered riders have on many days swelled the actual number of riders to well over the registered number count.

RAGBRAI is open to all kinds of people
The length of the entire week's route over RAGBRAI's first 40 years from 1973 through 2012, not including the Century Loop, averaged 467.925 miles (753.052 km), with the average daily distance between host communities 67.09 miles (107.97 km).[3] Eight "host communities" are selected each year: one each for the beginning and end points, the other six serving as overnight stops from Sunday through Friday for the bicyclists. At the beginning of the ride, participants traditionally dip the rear wheels of their bikes in either the Missouri River or the Big Sioux River (depending on the starting point of the ride). At the end, the riders dip the front wheels in the Mississippi River.

The 44th ride, RAGBRAI XLIV, was held July 24-30, 2016, beginning in Glenwood and staying at Shenandoah, Creston, Leon, Centerville, Ottumwa, and Washington before ending in Muscatine. The 45th ride, RAGBRAI XLV, took place from July 23-29, 2017, beginning in Orange City, with overnight stops in Spencer, Algona, Clear Lake, Charles City, Cresco, and Waukon, before finishing in Lansing. In 2017, the "Mile of Silence," which remembers the riders that have been lost throughout the years, happened on the first day after leaving Granville. The optional 3rd Annual Gravel Loop also occurred the first day on the way to Sutherland. [4] The 46th ride, RAGBRAI XLVI, was held from July 22-28, 2018, beginning in Onawa, with overnight stops in Denison, Jefferson, Ames, Newton, Sigourney, and Iowa City, before ending in Davenport. The 2019 (47th, RAGBRAI XLVII, July 21-27) route will begin in Council Bluffs, with overnight stops in Atlantic, Winterset, Indianola, Centerville, Fairfield, Burlington ending in Keokuk.

Having been in Iowa to assist riders, I can tell you that finding a hotel or motel room within a reasonable distance of the route is impossible. Many people camp out. There are groups of people who plan and ride each day with support teams with RVs, campers, buses. Partying is a big part of the week. Without much notice, I ended up sleeping in my car in a park along the Mississippi River. It was hot and humid. The mosquitoes were relentless. It was a miserable night. People were up and at it early in the morning.

My daughter participated in 2005. There was a tornado that touched down on the first night, and they had to evacuate to a school gym. People she rode with lost equipment.

Last edited:
Another interesting thing about RAGBRAI is the "teams" that ride as a form of advertising. All the armed services have groups of riders in special matching bike suits and they try to recruit and get good PR during the week. Also, many large corporations now have teams which serve the same purpose.

If any of you have the opportunity, you should participate or at least visit. It's pretty amazing to see 12-15,000 bikers descending on each little town along the way. Churches and school groups sell home made baked goods, teenagers sell roasted sweet corn, and BBQ masters pull up their smokers at every stop. And as suddenly as the bikers arrive - they're gone. But each town makes a lot of money off them. I know my church raised 4 grand in 6 hours for their missionary trip last year.

Another interesting thing about RAGBRAI is the "teams" that ride as a form of advertising. All the armed services have groups of riders in special matching bike suits and they try to recruit and get good PR during the week. Also, many large corporations now have teams which serve the same purpose.

If any of you have the opportunity, you should participate or at least visit. It's pretty amazing to see 12-15,000 bikers descending on each little town along the way. Churches and school groups sell home made baked goods, teenagers sell roasted sweet corn, and BBQ masters pull up their smokers at every stop. And as suddenly as the bikers arrive - they're gone. But each town makes a lot of money off them. I know my church raised 4 grand in 6 hours for their missionary trip last year.
It is a very cool thing. There are many former school buses that are used by various teams. If you don't have a room reserved a year in advance, you will probably be sleeping in your vehicle or in an RV or tent. I think there are designated places where you can camp for no fees.

It is a very cool thing. There are many former school buses that are used by various teams. If you don't have a room reserved a year in advance, you will probably be sleeping in your vehicle or in an RV or tent. I think there are designated places where you can camp for no fees.
There are set ups for people to host riders as well. My brother hosted the Air Force team one year. Some people let riders pitch tents in their yards and use their bathrooms and showers as well, for a small fee...

Latest posts

Back