PLEASE answer only one question. Quality Receiver Radio.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No. It was discontinued in 2005. The cost of production was more than the sell price.

You will have to buy one used. Get one that has had the ribbon cable upgrade.

Would that be somewhat comparable to the PL880 i posted above for SW?

@Sourdough, I would think you would have the same issue with me having mountains blocking things. I have 100 feet of antenna wire strung up and this helps with SW. It’s sometimes hit or miss for me, but 5 mile east of me I can pick up lots on SW and Fairbanks and other interior stations AM easily. I am just in a tough hole. You might benefit from a directional AM antenna pointed towards Anchorage and you have much higher trees than me for running up a wire for SW. I am absolutely no expert but my guess is if you can run it up one of those huge fir trees it would be better than most pole mounted antennas.

Would that be somewhat comparable to the PL880 i posted above for SW?
Hard to know without doing a side by side comparison (I have no experience with the 880).

The PL880 is a "firmware" driven unit (sort of like a UV5R handheld) - the SW100 is a solid state integrated circuit based unit.

The frequency range of the two are similar.

The PL880 is made in China and the SW100 is (was) made in Japan.

This is a pretty significant difference in my book.
Yep - and the SW100 was made in Japan at a time when they were capable of making some of the best gear in the world.

I hate buying second hand gear too.

But for quite of few things that survivalists need, the best example of that thing was made in the past and is no longer made (or at least not made to the same quality).

For those things, you either already own it or you need to buy second hand.

Luckily, for those really premium products, others may well have recognized them for what they are and bought them for that alone, as collectors items or just in case. That means there will be "new in box" examples around that can be a good substitute for new made or inferior current made alternatives.

I have five SW100 radios.

I bought one new back in the 1990s.

I bought the other four back in the mid 2000s when I heard they were discontinued. All four were bought through ebay (some from Japanese collectors and some from UK/European dealers). None of them turned out to be duds.

This image shows an SW100 for sale on ebay

1681515411520.png

That rectangular slot in the hinge just above the "3" on the keyboard shows that this SW100 is a later model with the ribbon cable upgrade.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1554930...kQ+kgDU7xNqmEBIRjb7PHaYsUaax|tkp:BFBM5KP-ofBh

If you get an earlier one, the ribbon cable will have a shorter service life, but they can be replaced (by the user).

Yep - and the SW100 was made in Japan at a time when they were capable of making some of the best gear in the world.

I hate buying second hand gear too.

But for quite of few things that survivalists need, the best example of that thing was made in the past and is no longer made (or at least not made to the same quality).

For those things, you either already own it or you need to buy second hand.

Luckily, for those really premium products, others may well have recognized them for what they are and bought them for that alone, as collectors items or just in case. That means there will be "new in box" examples around that can be a good substitute for new made or inferior current made alternatives.

I have five SW100 radios.

I bought one new back in the 1990s.

I bought the other four back in the mid 2000s when I heard they were discontinued. All four were bought through ebay (some from Japanese collectors and some from UK/European dealers). None of them turned out to be duds.

This image shows an SW100 for sale on ebay

View attachment 107094

That rectangular slot in the hinge just above the "3" on the keyboard shows that this SW100 is a later model with the ribbon cable upgrade.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1554930...kQ+kgDU7xNqmEBIRjb7PHaYsUaax|tkp:BFBM5KP-ofBh

If you get an earlier one, the ribbon cable will have a shorter service life, but they can be replaced (by the user).
Wow.......This is hard to believe, and also "not" 100% for sure. Seeing that photo of the Sony SW100 (I think I may already own a new one). How freaky would that be.

Latest posts

Back