Please educate me reference: "Potassium Iodide Radiation Tablets".

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Screenshot_20220924-142650.jpg

Every 24 hours, don't know about storage!

https://www.fda.gov/drugs/bioterror...le side,sometimes upset stomach and diarrhea)
I'm going to speak about what I know. They are not to be used by older people.
"KI is only recommended for people under 40 and pregnant or breastfeeding people. People with certain medical conditions , including known iodine sensitivity, should not take KI or should talk to a healthcare provider about whether they can safely take KI."

I believe you are in your 70's, if I remember correctly, so not for you and not for me! However, seaweed (Nori) is something that we can eat to fill up our thyroid to prevent radiation absorption.

I had some that I purchased more than a decade ago. I had them when Fukishima blew. I remember trying to buy more online and locally after Fukishima, and they were no where to be found. A few months ago, I was going through one of my emergency bags and found them. According to the package, they were expired. I ordered more, and it took me months to get them. I believe the Berkey site has them. Go figure that connection!

I have seen sea weed a few times in stores. I know that Trader Joe's has sea weed. I think Whole Foods has it, but I rarely go there.

I'm going to speak about what I know. They are not to be used by older people.
"KI is only recommended for people under 40 and pregnant or breastfeeding people. People with certain medical conditions , including known iodine sensitivity, should not take KI or should talk to a healthcare provider about whether they can safely take KI."
I believe you are in your 70's, if I remember correctly, so not for you and not for me! However, seaweed (Nori) is something that we can eat to fill up our thyroid to prevent radiation absorption.
I had some that I purchased more than a decade ago. I had them when Fukishima blew. I remember trying to buy more online and locally after Fukishima, and they were no where to be found. A few months ago, I was going through one of my emergency bags and found them. According to the package, they were expired. I ordered more, and it took me months to get them. I believe the Berkey site has them. Go figure that connection!

I have seen sea weed a few times in stores. I know that Trader Joe's has sea weed. I think Whole Foods has it, but I rarely go there.
Yes, for a vast majority of us, KI tablets are useless. :(
Spend your money on a low-level detector instead so you can tell what is "hot" and what is not, especially when it comes to food and drinking water.

Last edited:
Info. may or may not be helpful.
  • EXPIRATION: 09/2032 - The NRC has stated that the shelf life of Potassium Iodide Tablets can be extended greater than 10 years due to the inherent stability of iodine salt mineral supplements. SUGGESTED USE: For short-term use only (up to 2 weeks). Adult/Adultescent: 130 mg (2 tablets). Children: 65 mg (1 tablet).
  • 120 REAL TABLETS: These are actually tablets that are easily divisible if needed for smaller children and infants. Capsules can't be divided easily and have a shorter shelf life than tablets. Use is the same as potassium iodate tablets, ki pills 130mg or other iodine supplements.
  • IODINE - Potassium Iodide (KI) is a stable iodine salt. Taking a stable iodine helps the thyroid absorb and be "full" of iodine. The body does not produce Iodine naturally, which makes 130 mg Potassium Iodide Pills perfect for emergency or survival kits.
  • GUARANTEED PURE - Our Potassium Iodine Drops, potassium iodide tablets, and potassium iodine pills use USP grade Potassium iodide crystals directly from the source. We offer 3rd party lab tests that test for heavy metals, potency, purity, and much more.
  • MADE IN THE USA: We are the only brand that sources, tests, produces, and ships everything from our own in-house FDA registered Food-Grade facility. That's why we can offer the best quality and the best price. Our bottles never say "Manufactured For" like everyone else. We produce many iodine supplements including Potassium Iodide Pills and Potassium iodide 130 mg tablets.

Does seaweed protect against radiation?​

Sarasota Herald-Tribune

Q: I found the radiation leaks from Japan's tsunami-damaged nuclear plants truly frightening. Someone at my health-food store said everyone should start eating more seaweed. How would that help? --Deirdre, San Diego
A:We love seaweed as a low-calorie, high-nutrient addition to soups, salads and sandwiches. And many types of seaweed contain alginate, which prevents about 78 percent of radioactive products from being absorbed by your bones and teeth. Seaweed also contains iodine, which takes up residence in your thyroid and keeps any radioactive iodine that's around from being able to settle there, where it can cause cancer.
But like the potassium iodide tablets that flew off the shelves after Japan's disaster, seaweed won't protect you from radiation burns, sickness or cancer elsewhere in your body. Plus, eating large amounts of iodine-laden seaweed every day when you're in no radiation danger has a downside: It actually can slow or halt healthy thyroid activity.

What are you attempting to protect yourself from? Iodine tablets may provide limited protection from one type of radiation - radioactive iodine. That's not going to help you if someone launches a nuke your way. Nukes use Plutonium and Uranium. Iodine tablets are useless for that. A nuclear power station that blows will release some radioactive iodine. Do you live near one of those or plan to move close to one?

Iodine tablets only protect your thyroid. And then, only from radioactive iodine. They don't protect any other part of your body. Any protection they might provide is to help prevent/mitigate thyroid problems years down the road. But a healthy thyroid will not be needed anymore if the rest of the body has already died due to radiation exposure. Taking iodine except under a doctors orders is not a good thing. And it's definitely more dangerous for older people.

It will be much better to limit your exposure to all forms of radiation by taking advantage of distance and shielding, rather than taking iodine for potential limited protection of only your thyroid. You will probably never encounter radioactive iodine in the first place. I don't remember Alaska having any nuclear reactors that are still operational. They used to have one many years ago, I think.

Regarding iodine: This is not a case of "Well, it may not help, but it won't hurt." Because indeed it can hurt. Go ahead and buy it for a TEOTWAWKI stockpile if that's part of the plan. It won't hurt you if you don't actually take it. I would do more research on it before taking it though.

This information is from the state of new york department of health.

Potassium Iodide (KI) and Radiation Emergencies: Fact Sheet

This fact sheet is about a new policy for people, especially those who live within ten miles of a nuclear power plant, who may be exposed to radiation from a nuclear plant emergency. In December 2001, the federal Food and Drug Administration (FDA) said if there was a radiological emergency, people should take a drug that would help protect them from thyroid cancer. This drug is called potassium iodide (KI). The New York State Health Department agrees. The questions and answers below will give you more information.

1. What is potassium iodide (KI) and what is it used for?

If there is a radiation emergency at a nuclear plant, large amounts of something called radioiodine could be put into the air. This could hurt your thyroid gland, or even cause thyroid cancer later on. You could breathe in the radioiodine or eat food that has some radioiodine in it. When you take the KI pill, it protects your thyroid gland from being harmed.

2. How does KI work?

When you take the KI pill, it fills your thyroid with a kind of iodine that prevents your thyroid gland from taking in any of the radioactive kind of iodine.

3. What age group has the highest risk from exposure to radioiodine?

Young children have the highest risk. We have learned this from looking at children in Russia and other areas who were exposed to the radioiodine from the Chernobyl nuclear power plant accident.

4. When should KI be taken?

You need to take KI before or just after you are exposed to radioiodine. You can also take it 3 or 4 hours later, but it will not be as helpful.

5. How will I know if I should take KI?

If there is an emergency, you will hear an announcement from your local or state health officials. Your local health department will tell you when you should start taking KI and they will also tell you when you can stop taking it.

6. Does KI work in all radiation emergencies?

KI will only protect you from radioactive iodine. It does not protect you from other kinds of radioactive material. KI works very well to protect your thyroid gland. However, it protects only your thyroid, not other parts of your body.

7. What will happen in an emergency?

You will be told what, if any, actions you should take to protect yourself. This might include leaving the area, staying inside with your windows closed and/or taking KI.

8. Can people have reactions to KI?

In general, most people who have taken KI have not had any reactions (side effects). If people did have a reaction, it did not last very long. In a few cases, babies had a reaction in their thyroids. Adults who had reactions had stomach problems or a rash. The federal government thinks the benefits of taking KI are much greater than the risks.

9. Are there some people who should not take KI?

Most people can take KI, but you should talk to your doctor before taking it. Talk to your doctor before an emergency occurs. It is not a good idea to take KI if you have certain medical conditions or problems. Babies need to be watched carefully if they take KI.

10. How much KI do I take?

The table below shows the smallest KI dose that different age groups can take which will protect the thyroid. The pill comes in both 65-mg and 130-mg tablets. Since it is hard to cut many pills, the State Health Commissioner says that, in an emergency, it is safe for children at school or day care centers to take the whole pill. It's better for children under 12 years old to take the 65-mg pill, but it is safe to take the 130-mg pill if that is the only one you have. For children or babies who cannot take pills, parents and caregivers can cut or crush the pill to make lower doses.
The table that was here was removed - please see the link at the top of the page.

KI can come as a pill or a liquid. Pills are available in 65-mg or 130-mg doses. KI is also available as a liquid.

12. If KI has been stored for a while, is it still OK to use?

The manufacturers say KI stays "fresh" for 3-5 years. If you keep it in a dry, dark and cool place, it should last for many years.

13. Do you need a prescription to get KI?

No. You are allowed to get it over-the-counter.

14. Can KI be purchased at local pharmacies?

Yes, though it may not widely available in drugstores near you. Since it is not a prescription drug, you can buy it over the Internet. As with other drugs, make sure the KI you buy has been approved by the FDA. A supply of KI has been made available to people who live within 10 miles of a nuclear power plant in New York State. If you live within 10 miles of a nuclear power plant and did not receive KI, contact your local Office of Emergency Management.

I don't remember Alaska having any nuclear reactors that are still operational.
When the Nuclear Power Plant in Ukraine/Russia melted down it was a big deal in Alaska. They would advise daily when that cloud was approaching Alaska. We were advised to stay indoors during the cloud passing. We were advised not to eat any Caribou meat harvested that fall. Was that all BS, maybe, I have no way to know.

The government of Poland is sufficiently concerned about the biggest Nuclear Reactor in all of Europe, that they are currently passing out the pills to everyone in Poland.

I am "NOT" interested in being semi or mostly prepared. The tablets are cheap. I likely will never use them or most of the other preparations I have for SHTF.

Iodine tablets are only good to prevent the thyroid from absorbing radioactive iodine.
You get over-all protection from apple juice. The apple pectin latches onto radioactive elements and helps to flush them out of your system.
It may not prevent radiation sickness but it will reduce its effects. During the Chernobyl incident it was shown that apple juice was of benefit to all ages at a rate of over 60%.
Again it may not prevent radiation from affecting you but it will reduce the damage.

Iodite tablets only protect your thyroid and only from radioactive iodine. It works by flooding your thyroid with iodine preventing the uptake the radioactive iodine. The half life of radioactive iodine is about a week. At the end of week one the radioactive iodine level is 50%, at the end of week two is 25%, etc. A couple weeks is the normal recommendation for taking supplemental iodine. I expect that your thyroid will be loaded for some time after you quit taking the supplement.

There are lots of isotopes released in these bombs. I won't know what type of a bomb it is or what I have been subjected to. I'm too old to take the tablets, I'll give mine to my neighbors kids. Another option is to cover your abdomen with iodine. It will be absorbed.

I'll immediately start taking Rolaids type antacids daily. This will load my bones up with calcium. The bones attract other radioactive particles if they are in need of calcium.

Avoidance is the best course of action, for all types of radiation.

Iodine tablets are only good to prevent the thyroid from absorbing radioactive iodine.
You get over-all protection from apple juice. The apple pectin latches onto radioactive elements and helps to flush them out of your system.
It may not prevent radiation sickness but it will reduce its effects. During the Chernobyl incident it was shown that apple juice was of benefit to all ages at a rate of over 60%.
Again it may not prevent radiation from affecting you but it will reduce the damage.
Pectin attaches to radioactive particles in your gut. It does not help with anything you inhale or once it gets into your system. If you must eat questionable food, by all means use pectin.

When the Nuclear Power Plant in Ukraine/Russia melted down it was a big deal in Alaska.
That's unexpected. Ukraine is on the other side of the planet from Alaska. If you follow a line of latitude - go east or west from Alaska - it's about the same distance either way. Up and over the North Pole would be closer (I can't quite visualize that distance in my head), but it's still a far distance. Maybe there's some prevailing wind pattern that goes over the North Pole connecting the two locations.

That's unexpected. Ukraine is on the other side of the planet from Alaska. If you follow a line of latitude - go east or west from Alaska - it's about the same distance either way. Up and over the North Pole would be closer (I can't quite visualize that distance in my head), but it's still a far distance. Maybe there's some prevailing wind pattern that goes over the North Pole connecting the two locations.
I too remember the radiation alerts. The heavier the particle the sooner it will fall to the ground. Some of the lighter stuff will circle the globe multiple times. I remember them telling us that this cloud was the one that had passed over previously. Where it goes depends on not only the ground winds but also the jet stream. Unfortunately, you have more things to expect. It is better to be half way around the world but if the SHTF it is best to be on the other side of the equator.

I think the rotation of the earth was a consideration. There was a lot of debate about the danger, I guess they opted to error on the super safe side with their government broadcasts. After all that was the first time something that massive melted down. I think they simply did not know what the risk truly was.

Last edited:
Some radioactive elements may have made it around the world eventually, including Alaska. Probably not at dangerous levels though. Europe is a different story however.

https://www.irsn.fr/EN/publications/thematic-safety/chernobyl/Documents/fiche8_va.pdf
View attachment 94867
Go back and read Sourdough's post. Stay inside and don't eat game, for a year, that consumes ground vegetation were the official recommendations. After Chernobyl there were plenty of spots in Europe where you couldn't consume meat or dairy due to radiation on the grass. Same thing in Alaska.

Last edited:
Earth's rotation could well be. And also the jetstream (is there a jetstream effect up where you far-northeners live?) I know when I fly from Denver to Hawaii to see my daughter, the in-air flight time differs by about 45 minutes depending which direction you are flying. At the speed jetliners fly at, that's a lot of wind!

When those large volcanoes erupt in eastern Russia, there is always a notice to Alaskan pilots, even while operating in Alaska.

Sourdough, get the tablets and keep them handy, they store a long time and ya never know when "it" will hit the fan!!
I did they were $19.00 for 120 tablets 130 mg. which is cheap. One of my eleven prescription drugs is $3,800.00 per year.

You aren’t smoldering when the fallout lands downwind, including radioactive iodine.
The point I was trying to make, is that taking iodine tablets to protect your thyroid against radioactive iodine is not going to have any significant benefit in the end when you are talking about a nuclear bomb explosion. The other types of radiation will have already gotten you. Be that from the initial blast, or from fallout later. Fallout is not a big problem with radioactive iodine. It has a very short half-life. About one week. It will be gone long before the other radioactive elements are. If you get warnings to not eat meat or dairy for a year to prevent radiation exposure, that's not because of radioactive iodine.

Reactions: Neb

Latest posts

Back