police scanner

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rusty

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Local PD switched to digital. Old scanners are analog. New digital scanners are pricey. I got an free app from Amazon on my Kindle Fire and can now listen to the digital police calls.

We have analog and digital, as well as encrypted digital. What you are hearing is probably their basic comms channel. All the secret squirrel stuff is most likely encrypted.

You can use your computer to listen to emergency and police bands - both digital and analog. I'm sure there is a way to hear the encrypted calls too.

You can use your computer to listen to emergency and police bands - both digital and analog. I'm sure there is a way to hear the encrypted calls too.
You can hear them but they sound jumbled. They very seldom use it here.

It depends on the nature of the encryption, but by definition encrypted signals are designed to prevent anyone except the intended recipient from being able to decipher the message. Usually, you can't decrypt encrypted signals.

It's not as fun as it used to be. Dispatch for most of my region all went to MARCS, so I might I can hear the dispatch, but then everything is over the MDT or off on a channel I can't scan to fast enough. Fire/EMS is easier, they only use a few channels.

Latest posts

Back