Post A Photo, A Real Photo

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been following them for a long time. One morning at 4AM it dawned me that I was awake, up and watching a 24 year old guy spread manure. I wondered what was wrong with me but I kept watching.
I even bought one of their slappies and I don't have any cattle.
From what I have been able to see it doesn't look like they got buried under a ton of snow so hopefully they're ok.
I know they are east river but don't remember exactly where

With storms like this, there are white out conditions and you cannot even see the edge of the road. Interstates are closed and truck stops are full. People think they are smart and will try to drive on state highways. Two stories about people trying to do this.

Had a New Yorker ask me if US 14 was open. I told him it is impassable, and to get a hotel until tomorrow at the very least. So I believe I saved you one.
Tow crews are tired and have been very busy pulling all of the people out who have “seen blizzards worse than this one before.” and people parking their vehicles on emergency snow routes. Oh and don’t forget the semi’s trying to bypass the interstate on secondary roads.

2. A car with Florida plates took Highway 14, trying to bypass the closure of the interstate. He ended up in my hometown. At that time, they had 12 inches of snow, now they have more. He got out of his car wearing shorts and flip-flops. He had no cold weather gear with him. He looked like he came from the beach. Now that he was there, and ill prepared, he was asking where to buy a coat and something for his feet. My home town is small and hasn't had a clothing store in some years. It did have a women's western wear store up until a few years ago. The closest place for this guy to buy something warm to wear was 50 miles away. But everyone was advised to stay off the roads. I imagine he slept in his motel room for a while, maybe watched some cable news. At least the motel is just a couple blocks from the only restaurant in town, but who would want to walk there in flip flops and shorts in that weather? The temps are supposed to dip down to below zero now.

Weather advisory for South Dakota, put out 4 hours ago.

WEATHER ALERT: ‘No Travel Advisory’ active for most of South Dakota​

Storm Finally Exits Tonight​

Updated: 4 hours ago

Tyler Roney
First Alert Meteorologist
SIOUX FALLS, S.D. (Dakota News Now) -- Winter Weather Advisories remain in effect for much of the region. We have another First Alert Weather Day today as those alerts continue.
Light snow will be wrapping up across the region through tonight. The wind will gradually diminish as well, but it’s not going to die down until late tonight. That means traveling will still not be recommended across much of the state especially in northeastern South Dakota and central and western parts of the state as well.
By this weekend, temperatures will continue to cool down. We’ll fall to the teens for highs, and overnight lows will be in the single digits. While there is a slight chance for snow next Wednesday, significantly colder air is on the way for the end of next week. Highs will only be in the single digits below zero, with morning lows down in the teens below zero. This will be some dangerous cold.

South Dakota snow photo. The man who shared this photo lives in Custer, but this photo could be anywhere in S.D. today.
man in snow drift, south dakota.jpg

These are photos of snow fences. This first photo in particular, was taken along the interstate in Wyoming, but you will see snow fences all over where it snows and blows. There are snow fences out by DIA, Denver International Airport. The snow fences help the snow to accumulate around them, helping it to not have snow build up on or by highways.
The styles of snow fences can be different, and I think they have evolved over the years. I remember when they were attached to fence posts, with vertical pieces of wood strung together with wire as shown in the second photo. People with land sometimes put up their own snow fences to help accumulate snow and therefore moisture for their land.
snow fence.JPG

simple snow fence.jpg

Some big icicles at work. A large ice wave chunk that hasent fallen n broke off yet. Hopefully a maintenance guy will take the grad all this weekend n cave all the killer bergs n ice daggers off the building.
My cozy fire tonight..

Attachments

• 20221217_163653.jpg
    20221217_163653.jpg
    551.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 20221215_154439.jpg
    20221215_154439.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20221209_091946.jpg
    20221209_091946.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts