Post A Photo, A Real Photo

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bet that book about Forrest battles is great. I've got a couple about him. They sure hold your interest.

I learned something interesting from that book. This lane at the edge of my pasture is my driveway behind the camera.

In the 1860's it was the main road through this part of the state. In the last months of the civil war a large union command burned all the iron works near Birmingham. Then followed the river down to Tuskaloosa and burned it. On this side of the river a detachment of Forrest's cavalry was shadowing them.

They traveled right down the lane in my pasture and down my driveway. I would have never known without that book and a couple old maps. Sort of neat...

Pasture Bud n Kit a  (9)a.jpg
pasture burn  14feb22  11a.JPG

Last edited:
What area of Knoxville are you from? I started out there as well
I lived all over the area from Concord to Tuckahoe Creek.

I was living on the now long gone Leslie Street when I was born at St Mary's.

Father taught ROTC at UTK.

Mother worked at the Kay's ice Cream parlor next to Cas Walker's on Western Ave.

There was a Four Story house Across from the stop sign of the Truck route by Roscoe Yoder's store.

The off ramp for 40 took the whole block, Moved to Bluegrass,

Left for NC and moved back to Reservoir hill!!!

Moved to Smith School Rd in tuckahoe creek area of Straw Plains then to AlMsTn area.

Thats a short version there were about 6 more moves in there.

A lot of short term moving in army brat life!!!

Mother worked at the Kay's ice Cream parlor next to Cas Walker's on Western Ave.

There was a Four Story house Across from the stop sign of the Truck route by Roscoe Yoder's store.

The off ramp for 40 took the whole block, Moved to Bluegrass,

Left for NC and moved back to Reservoir hill!!!

Moved to Smith School Rd in tuckahoe creek area of Straw Plains then to AlMsTn area.

Thats a short version there were about 6 more moves in there.

A lot of short term moving in army brat life!!!
I know all those areas. Went to HS with some kids from Tuckahoe. I grew up in Mascot. Worked at St.Marys last 2 years of HS. Probably bought ice cream from your mom. Kay's was the best and I tried to hit all of them up.

Are they in your freezer yet? 😁 :D :p
Naah they are more pets. I do the hunting out at the farm and On the club.

I usually try to take a sub grade when I go if it is not diseased.

I always get them tested and always try to keep all the pictures for any type of problem I see on any of the cameras.

That way if you have any kind of outbreak of CWD or any tick borne, forage problem or any type of herd endangerment you can get the F&G to address it quickly and save a lot of them.

My Brother in law has been doing most of the hunting the past 10 years because when I retired I went from 6 to 2:30 to 5a to 10pm.,

Don't retire if you want to rest.

An early out with full ride means just get another 9 to 5 don't go home and find out what is there to do.

Before you retire, DOWNSIZE, sell it all even if you think you may need it buy a CD with the money and buy one when you need it, sell it when you finish.

I have so much stuff I have four storage buildings, A shop I can barely work in and have to keep dragging stuff out just to be able to move around after a project.

It Is always an ARRRRRRGGGG moment when you have to move 100 things just to get to a tool or part you need or open a door to a room. HEHEHEH.

I know all those areas. Went to HS with some kids from Tuckahoe. I grew up in Mascot. Worked at St.Marys last 2 years of HS. Probably bought ice cream from your mom. Kay's was the best and I tried to hit all of them up.
I had some cuzs at Carter in the 60s and 70s So you know where Helma"s was HEHEHEH.

Yoder?!! @Amish Heart isn't that a family name for you?
Hi @12icemaker you fit in right quick!!

Roscoe's Store was on the corner of Middlebrook and 21st I think been so long ago I remember it was by the northbound the stop sign before the Trucks took a left onto the rest of the truck route.

I remember the Cedar Chest being just down the road from it on the left going west.

I went up a few years ago to a funeral and it was like Wow man there is nothing left but one of the old houses we lived in for about a year when My dad was in Korea.

I talked to a guy that has climbed the highest mountains on all seven continents.
In his book he said one of the worst thing was the crowds.
He had to schedule a time to climb Mt. Denali.
They got delayed because of weather and a guy in the group before them died on the way up and everyone had to walk past his body going both way till someone could get the dead guy off the mountain.
He was an interesting guy.
He also ran marathons on all seven continents.
He now lives near Olympia, WA and runs a small campground.

I talked to a guy that has climbed the highest mountains on all seven continents.
In his book he said one of the worst thing was the crowds.
He had to schedule a time to climb Mt. Denali.
I would have loved to do that but Denali was too much to do with the kids
People that do that probably don't have families
But, we did do a lot of high points in the US and Europe
My favorite one was Katahdin in Maine , it was all bouldering to the top , of course our kids were the only kids on the top

Attachments

• HPIM0479.JPG
    HPIM0479.JPG
    508.6 KB · Views: 0
  • HPIM0493.JPG
    HPIM0493.JPG
    754.4 KB · Views: 0
  • HPIM0477.JPG
    HPIM0477.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
My favorite one was Katahdin in Maine , it was all bouldering to the top , of course our kids were the only kids on the top
Now that is living the life!!!!! Great pictures!!!!!

I'd love to do Katahdin, at the end of hiking the AT.

Latest posts

Back