Post A Photo, A Real Photo

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment 129020
In observance of the fall of Saigon and the end of the Vietnam War on this day, April 30, 1975 I thought of all those lost, and those that made it.
I took this picture of two of my buddies as we were on our last day In Country. Taken in Cam Ranh Bay on September 27, 1970.
I spent a year with them, and never saw either one again.
Here’s to you, guys, wherever you are.
Hell of a day that was. So much waste and loss

1714517449578.png

I got a 2nd coat of primer on the bathroom door. It still looks chalky. But I think the primer is supposed to look like that. Still debating whether to paint the door white or to find a blue that goes with the colors of the room. I don't want a dark blue. So either a light one that complements the other blue colors or a medium blue. The trim will be painted white though. I want to us the remainder of the Killz paint for the trim, cabinets, and chest of drawers so I don't think I have enough to do the door. I can use Behr for the door I suppose.
1714520339877.png

I never got a full picture of the door before, but you can see the lower half to see what color it was before. It was some sort of veneer.
1714520525459.png

It had some permanent stains on it that I wanted to cover up.

Hell of a day that was. So much waste and loss
It was such a stupid thing to do.
It is like the last wars we have been in.
When Ike sent the first Men in that was either all we should have sent OR we should have gone in kicked ass and left.
The problem was and still is the communist left did not want us to win they just anted us to be bogged down and spending money.
Long story lotsa stuff tied up in it BUT the breakdown came when one stinking B came back from trip to Hanoi and sided with her friends in the communist party in scummowood.

I wonder how many people watched the leader of North Vietnam tell a French news reporter that we would have won within 2 years, they were beaten when Nixon opened the door to Laos and Cambodian missions they had no way to supply the KR and VC forces that were fighting and they would have had to pull everything back to the north to protect themselves.

Why do governments set rules for warriors that always get them killed or beaten when they need to be able to do whatever they have to to live and win.

Don't send me to kill a man and then tell me what to do from a desk do it yourself or ST*U.

Something they will not teach in history that my dad knew as classified info that was later declassified was that after the Tet Offensive, the VC were ready to surrender. But bc the media straight up lied and called it a "psychological defeat" because some US Embassy was attacked (unsuccessfully I might add), it renewed their vigor and made them feel like they could win so they kept going. My dad intercepted the radio chatter about them being ready to give up. I believe he also mentioned an incident with National Guardsmen and some students peacefully protesting. A reporter was egging them on to get violent but they refused, so the reporter picked up a rock and threw it at the NG. They thought a student did it and that they were under attack and at least one student was killed in the calamity that followed.

Dad said when he came back for his father's funeral and was in uniform he was chased out of diners and restaurants. They said they wouldn't let "baby killers" eat there. People threw eggs and trash at him and shouted "baby killer" at him because of all the BS from the media and Jane Fonda.

To get this back on track/topic. I found this in his files. It was labeled 156th Barracks.
1714523778480.png

@Peanut I think it is Greenthread (Thelesperma filifolium). It does look a lot like Plains Coreopsis but the dark brown around the center of the flower is not evident as it is in the p. coreopsis. Zooming in on my flower photo you can see the little yellow dots sticking out from the central disc. I used a Native American Seed catalog to help me ID them. Amazing that field was covered in those flowers.

The red flower is Indian Blanket. Flower names in Texas are fun. We also have Mexican Hat that looks a lot like the I.B., except the central disc sticks up much higher, is not flat. There's also rattlesnake master, and Hooker's Eryngo.

Attachments

• IMG_4295.png
    IMG_4295.png
    8.9 MB · Views: 2
Last edited:
@Peanut I think it is Greenthread (Thelesperma filifolium). It does look a lot like Plains Coreopsis but the dark brown around the center of the flower is not evident as it is in the p. coreopsis. Zooming in on my flower photo you can see the little yellow dots sticking out from the central disc. I used a Native American Seed catalog to help me ID them. Amazing that field was covered in those flowers.

Love seeing a wild species new to me! I used to see coreopsis tinctoria here. Didn't see it for about 10 years then saw it again 2 yrs ago. It's similar from 20ft. I was going by the stem in your pic more than anything else. I've noticed the center color spot varies region to region. I think soil minerals play a big part in the variations within species that I see. Colors, size, even shapes of leaves. Nature is wonderful that way.

I believe you are correct in the species. Coreopsis may have a similar colors and stems but the petal edges are very different. Coreopsis petals appear jagged. T. filifolium has a distinctive 3 lobe edge, much softer curves.

Thanks for posting it! :)

I edited my post, @Peanut . Please take a look. You're welcome.
Here's a pic of the eryngo, it looks other worldly when seen out in the field. Eryngium hookeri and also eryngium leavenworthii. I'm crazy about Texas wildflowers.

Amazing looking... eerily similar to bull thistle.

I have these,

1714575815408.jpeg

Also had this one but fire ants killed it I wish I could have saved a piece of the root before they destroyed it, It was a heritage plant.

1714576165024.jpeg

This was a few years ago when it was still potted two years after we moved it from the overgrown back yard of my sister in law, brought it out planted it and it was doing great till the fire ants ate the roots off of it.

@Pearl Yesterday I noticed a neighbor has a new pasture baby. He was being shy...

View attachment 129169

I'm pretty sure I briefly owned the pasture baby's great grandparents. This is Jasper and Sweet Pea, along with their foal Kit the day I loaded them in a trailer and brought them home, 20yrs ago.

After a month I sold Jasper and Sweet Pea to the Fil (next door neighbor) of the guy with the pasture baby, who got his donks from his FIL.

Jasper was a problem for baby calves as are many Jacks. He nearly killed a horse foal I had at the time... he had to go! Took a dozen stitches to sew my foal's scalp back on...

Jasper Sweet Pea a  (12)a.jpg
Jasper Sweet Pea a  (13).jpg
Bud colt b  (1)a.jpg
Bud colt b  (2)a.jpg

Last edited:
This was my two foals, Bud and Kit, and the mare, had already sold the donks, sweet pea/jasper.

As soon a bud was weaned I had to sell the mare too. The mare had been a orphan. The lady who owned her turned her into a pet, not an issue. The issue... she taught the mare to open gates, big problem on a farm!!!! Which almost got her foal killed by the jack. :mad:

But it was constant, a week didn't pass without livestock out of their pens because the silly mare kept opening gates!!! She had to go!!! I kept both foals.

Mare 01 ( 3)a.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back