Post office

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rusty

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Got a ripped open package today for someone who lives in another state. Their name and address was clearly on the package. Took it to the post office.

My best story about them is a couple years ago, they broke a trailer hitch I had ordered. How?

Since Covid hit, our PO has went down hill badly. At times we go a week at a time.
When we lived in a rural area near KC. Our road only had 3 houses on it. They had a sub on Wednesday and we never got mail that day. We were sure because there was a local paper that everyone got that day and we never got it. I had a running ad in that paper. I told the post office but it never changed until we got another sub after a couple years.

Our lack of mail delivery lately has been reported in the news 3 times.
I was irritated we went 3 days with no mail but some people have gone 2 weeks.
I was told a temp carrier was telling the PO he was delivering the mail and he wasn't.
SAME EXACT thing here!! Crazy!

Some decades back, the local PO had a bad reputation. One guy dropped a letter to himself at the drop slot inside the PO. It took two or three weeks for the letter to travel the 40' or 50' to his PO box. That raised a big enough stink that things got better.

I feel bad for the USPS. To pay back for the union support the Fed has prioritized the pension plan is funded first. And I wonder who profits from managing the pension? Electronic media has eroded income. Private enterprise (UPS as an example) is more efficient and cheaper, more revenue lost for the USPS. USPS is just a dinosaur on life support paid by the taxpayer for the benefit of the Politician.

Come to think about it the vast majority of my mail is junk Mail including the local liberal newspaper the wife pays for.

PO in our little town is awesome. Great people that are very friendly. UPS guy is extremely nice and if you invite him for dinner don't be surprised if he parks the truck and joins you! Fedex drivers are crazy and worthless. Ran over a friends dog IN THERE DRIVEWAY! My wife would have lost it if that happened to one of our boys!

I had a package once that never showed up but was listed as "delivered". I called and the PO basically said they could do nothing. Made a few searches until I found a guy that was an advocate with high connections and he gave me the cell number of the Post Master General. Called him and chatted a bit and within 4 hours I got a call that my package was found and on the way. They can do S@#T when they "want to".

We border Ohio to the southeast. I ordered something a while back, as I tracked it, it left Ohio went to New Jersey after making a stop in PA, then turned around and sent right back over the same route to Michigan, lol.

That little package was shipped from a place less than 150 miles from me, and ended up traveling about 1700 miles before I got it.

The lack of trust I have in the USPS is why I have not mailed my taxes the last 2 years. They lost my check and it was a freaking nightmare to get cleaned up when I found out the IRS never got the mail.

I do get junk mail for other people, but nothing important.
In 32 years I missed one DOT notice, can not prove it was not delivered, but I never saw it.

Something different going on at our local post office, not sure if it’s happening elsewhere. We get mail delivered to the end of the driveway, and have for 40+ years. Not everything has been properly delivered. Sometimes the neighbors return our mail, sometimes not, depending, so we also have a box in town for the ‘important’ stuff. We’ve had that box for about as many years as we’ve been here.
In November we got a notice that as of the first of the year, all mail addressed to the house will be returned to sender, and we need to notify everyone of a change of address for the box in town.. Where do you begin with that volume of stuff?
I asked the district boss to look into it. He said that she might be able to do it, but it was pretty heavy handed and unnecessary.
No mention has been made anywhere about stopping home delivery. I think the postmaster is trying to be ‘efficient’.
The reaction of many will be to choose free home delivery and keep that $60-100 box.

In November we got a notice that as of the first of the year, all mail addressed to the house will be returned to sender, and we need to notify everyone of a change of address for the box in town.. Where do you begin with that volume of stuff?

Look at every piece of mail, the ones addressed to the house call each one and do a change of address. Some places you can just go online and do it.

The place I am in for over 30 years now has never had one piece of mail delivered to the house as the PO simply doesn't deliver to homes in certain parts of my area.

Look at every piece of mail, the ones addressed to the house call each one and do a change of address. Some places you can just go online and do it.

The place I am in for over 30 years now has never had one piece of mail delivered to the house as the PO simply doesn't deliver to homes in certain parts of my area.

I had to go through an address change recently (sold a house). I first changed all of my accounts with any bank or credit card, car loan, house loan, land, etc. Filled out an online change of address / forwarding form with the USPS which was simple. Was able to request a replacement of my drivers license and that process allows an address change which in doing that, registrations automatically will get changed on the cars but you have to request a replacement to get new ones with the new address. As stuff comes that I didn't think about, I call or change the address online.

That works for the items coming through this month. I will have no idea what has been rejected. What concerns me is a bill that gets sent back, then will have finance charges or late fees. Not quite so simple….

They took our Post Office away , population was to low . We get ours everyday delivered from the next town . UPS is another story , Fedx seems to have a bunch of friendly kids working for them, but never had a problem with them

Latest posts

Back