Pot Liquor. No, not my weekend plans. :P

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Magus

The Shaman of suburbia.
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
In a two-gallon stew pot, boil up a cup each of shredded Kale, Spinach, potato, onion and cabbage and set it on a low-burning wood stove just below simmer and add a quart of beef, bone, chicken or pork broth, depending on the meat you're using, right now, its pork, so pork broth and two good sized pork soup bones OR the skin off fat back, the more the better. Some like to add a couple of green apples with the pork, but I don't unless they're just handy. bring to a boil until the meat flakes off the bone and return to a simmer. and add enough water or broth to return it to two gallons and thicken it with a half-cup of white cornmeal. Keep it at low heat and keep an eye on it with a tin cup nearby to fill bowls with. its a great and easily digested snack for the wood-cutting season or to keep on the stove in your hunting cabin.

Chicken chowder, trailer park version. I call it that because everything comes from the dollar store. break out a gallon kettle and combine:
1 quart of chicken broth.
One can of chicken breast.
One can of cream of chicken soup.
One can of creamed corn.
One can of sliced potatoes.
One small can of mushrooms.
One small can of veg all mixed vegetables.
A quarter stick of butter.
1/4 tablespoon each of poultry seasoning, black pepper, and sea salt.
Bring to a full boil and add 1/4 cup of instant rice, boil for five minutes, remove from heat, stir well, and cover for ten minutes. Serves 5 for 12$

Chicken fritters:
3 cups of yellow cornmeal.
3 green onions diced, using tops and all.
three eggs, well beaten.
1 cup of cooked and shredded chicken.
1/4 tablespoon each of poultry seasoning, black pepper, and sea salt.
Using chicken broth, mix until you can stand your spoon in it.
Fry one large mixing spoon-sized lump in grease. when the top gets 10 bubbles or so, flip it.

Bonus idea, make thin pancakes with it.

Latest posts

Back