pot roast beef in slow cooker with vegetables.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joel

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I cook mine in the Instant Pot. 20 minutes per pound of meat. Also must add 15 minutes to pressurize and 10 minutes to depressurize. So about 1-1/2 hours for a 3 lb roast. Comes out fantastic (a cheaper roast is fine - like a cross-rib chuck roast - just pick one that is well marbled). Super tender and falling apart.

3.60 pond chuck roast.
pink salt & pepper BLK
ground ginger
leaf Oregano
whole fennel seeds
Soy sauce low sodium
Pickle juice vinegar
sliced pickled green olives & juice
yellow mustard
one cup of water
garlic two cloves
onions two medium
two large carrots sliced
bell peppers two medium
White potatoes eight medium
I was out of cabbage
All spices to taste, you could state with 1/2 teaspoon each.
No lemons this time.

Last edited:
I cook mine in the Instant Pot. 20 minutes per pound of meat. Also must add 15 minutes to pressurize and 10 minutes to depressurize. So about 1-1/2 hours for a 3 lb roast. Comes out fantastic (a cheaper roast is fine - like a cross-rib chuck roast - just pick one that is well marbled). Super tender and falling apart.
DW has a instant pot some where, but she trained me on the slow cooker.
I remember her cooking dry beans in a fourth the time with it.
I always get the cheapest roast they have.
I cook the veggies for her most time, she dose not eat much red meat.

One of my favorites was this simple recipe.....
A short quarter cup bacon grease
Sliced onion rings on the bottom of the cooker
3-4 kilo boneless bear roast
3-4 carrots in bite size chunks
1 stalk celery rough chopped
garlic
small pinch sage
black pepper
1 table spoon beef soup starter powder
1-2 C water
chunks of red or Yukon Gold potatoes to fill slow cooker to the top..

When fall apart done, serve with creamed corn to put on the potatoes.. A slice of bread with butter and a pot of strong black tea...

One of my favorites was this simple recipe.....
A short quarter cup bacon grease
Sliced onion rings on the bottom of the cooker
3-4 kilo boneless bear roast
3-4 carrots in bite size chunks
1 stalk celery rough chopped
garlic
small pinch sage
black pepper
1 table spoon beef soup starter powder
1-2 C water
chunks of red or Yukon Gold potatoes to fill slow cooker to the top..

When fall apart done, serve with creamed corn to put on the potatoes.. A slice of bread with butter and a pot of strong black tea...
I always put bacon grease & salt on the bottom to season the bottom of the roast.

I cook it until it falls apart, usually with a pod of crushed garlic or several hunks of onion. then after the immediate meal, the leftovers get turned into sloppy joes or meat salad sandwiches.

I cook it until it falls apart, usually with a pod of crushed garlic or several hunks of onion. then after the immediate meal, the leftovers get turned into sloppy joes or meat salad sandwiches.
I freeze leftovers & eat it though out the week, just heat it on low in its own juice.

I cover it in horseradish, garlic powder, and cook it till it falls apart. Carrots, potatoes, and onions. I eat it till it is gone.

I cook the veggies for her most time, she dose not eat much red meat.
My wife likes the veges more than the meat too. Here's my recipe:

Instant Pot Roast

3 lbs Beef Cross-Rib Chuck Roast
6-8 golden potatoes, each about racquetball size, quartered
1 cup mini carrots or larger carrots cut into one inch pieces
Large onion
Mushrooms, as many as you can fit to top off the Instant Pot after everything else is in there, whole if small, quartered if large
3-5 cloves garlic
1 package French Onion dry soup mix
Beef “Better Than Bouillon” concentrate
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
Peanut oil
Kosher salt
Cornstarch

Remove roast from refrigerator, liberally cover all sides with kosher salt, allow to sit on counter for one hour to warm to room temperature.

Cut onion into wedges. Quarter potatoes. Chop garlic. Mix 3 cups or hot water with “Better Than Bouillon” to make a broth. Vegetables will come out mushy, if something firmer is wanted, do not quarter the potatoes, and use larger carrots.

After roast has warmed, heat 1-1/2 tbsp of peanut oil in Instant Pot on saute setting. Pat meat dry with a paper towel. Cover all sides of roast with onion soup mix, then brown all sides, about 2-3 minutes per side. Remove roast and set aside.

Add garlic, onion, and carrots and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. There will be burned meat from the previous browning step and the garlic will stick into that, but that's OK. Remove this vegetable mix from Instant Pot and set aside.

Add broth and apple cider vinegar to Instant Pot and use wooden spoon to scrape off burned meat and vegetables from bottom of pot (be careful not to splash while scraping). Hit “Cancel” to stop saute mode.

Add Roast. Add carrots, potatoes and onions. Most will probably be submerged in the broth, but if not, that’s OK. Add mushrooms on top to fill the Instant Pot to the "max" line. Pressure cook at high pressure for 60 minutes (20 minutes per pound of meat).

After cooking, allow 10 minutes for pressure to partially release naturally. Then push controlled steam release button to finish depressurizing (about 5 minutes).

Remove roast and shred. Remove vegetables.

Turn Instant Pot back to saute to boil liquid for a few minutes.

Mix two tablespoons of cornstarch in ¼ cup water and stir to dissolve. Add to Instant Pot to thicken the boiling liquid. Continue boiling to gravy thickness you desire, adding a little more water/cornstarch mix if it is not thick enough.

Return shredded roast and vegetables to gravy still in the Instant Pot for extra moistness, and serve from there.

Timings: One hour to bring refrigerated meat to room temperature (prepare everything else while meat is warming). 6-10 minutes to brown meat. 5 minutes to saute vegetables. 15 minutes for Instant Pot to pressurize. 60 minutes to pressure cook. 15 minutes to depressurize. Total 2 hours 45 minutes.

My new scoop from Amazon is great for fishing the veges out at the end:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LMCWL7A
I said it takes about 1-1/2 hours to cook, which is mostly correct, but I allow 2:45 total time - this includes one hour for the meat to come out of the fridge and warm to room temperature (almost) before starting the cooking process. It browns better if you pat it dry before saute in the Instant Pot. Wet/cold meat tends to steam itself, so browning doesn't come out as crisp (not that it makes a whole lot of difference in the end, since the meat is submerged while cooking in the Instant Pot).

Meat salad:
Use either 1/4 cup of Woeber's horseradish sauce or Mayo, depending on taste per cup of meat, dill or sweet relish, 1/4 cup of diced onion, and a pod of hot pepper, blast a bun with your torch or grill it, slap a tomato slice and lettuce slice on it, good meal!

The Manhattan sandwich:
On a deli roll, Mayo, Cooked beef, a spoonful of potato salad,(Or plain mashed potatoes), and a spoonful of coleslaw. Use the gravy +1 pat of melted butter and a generous shot of Worcestershire sauce as a French dip.

The "Elite" Sloppy Joe:
2 cups of meat, well-drained and shredded.
1 small can of Manwich sauce. (OR Duke's sweet Bourbon BBQ sauce.)
1/4 cup of onion.
2 tablespoons of Jalapeno relish.
Smear a bun with mustard and a pickle and pig out!

I cover it in horseradish, garlic powder, and cook it till it falls apart. Carrots, potatoes, and onions. I eat it till it is gone.
Is the horseradish home made cut with vinegar or store bought?
If bought what brand?

We cook pretty much the same thing except we leave the meat out and use a head of cauliflower instead.
1699111373045.png

I cook roasts in a slow cooker. I add a packet of onion soup mix and some water with 3 beef boullion cubes. Sometimes I'll add veges and sometimes I don't......depends upon what I have on hand. I put it on high in the mid to late morning and it's done by dinner time. I've found that you can't overcook a roast......at least I've never been able to, so I don't pay much attention to how long it's been cooking, although sometimes I'll turn it to low if it looks very done.

When hubby got his last deer, we put the neck in a crock pot. We just had a roast the night before, so I saved the juices and put the neck in the crock pot to make pulled meat sandwiches and soup out of. We had never done this with a venison neck before and it was delicious. After we cooked the roast, we used the juices again to put the deer heart in the next day. We don't really like the heart meat, so we fed that to the pups. They were very happy to have it. We will never again let the neck or heart go to waste.

What bothers me about slow cooker meat is that it isn't browned like an oven cooked roast, unless you brown it first. Am I wrong about this? Do your beef roasts brown up in a slow cooker?

The thing about meat cooked in the oven is that the pan browns and that makes the tastiest gravy.

What bothers me about slow cooker meat is that it isn't browned like an oven cooked roast, unless you brown it first. Am I wrong about this? Do your beef roasts brown up in a slow cooker?

The thing about meat cooked in the oven is that the pan browns and that makes the tastiest gravy.
You have to brown them first. But then, they sit "underwater" as they're cooking, so you don't end up with a nice crispy crust like you can get with an oven cooked roast. If I'm in a hurry, I don't bother to brown them if I'm going to cook them in the slow cooker or in the Instant Pot. The difference in how they turn out in the end browned vs. not browned is too subtle for me to worry about much. Now for an oven roast, I like the extra crispy outside you can get. To get a really nicely browned roast in the oven, pour an inch deep layer of rock salt into the roaster before putting the roast in it. Then pour more rock salt over the sides and top of the inserted roast to completely bury the thing. As it bakes, that rock salt heats up and browns things nicely. This is how we used to cook the prime rib at a fancy steak restaurant I worked at in high school.

No, you won't get a browned outer crust. But, what I like about the crock pot roasts is that it's super easy and it just falls apart. I've never made gravy with the drippings, but I bet it would be good.

The Princess was using a crock pot for Sunday dinners. I asked her to roast it in the oven. The families reaction was remarkable! There were always left- overs with crock pot. The oven roasted has little or no left overs.

Ben

I'm going to jump in and recommend Deitz and Watson for store bought !!
I like to mix Watson's in with diet mayo since it lacks flavor anyway, to make sandwich spread. I like mine eye-watering!

Is the horseradish home made cut with vinegar or store bought?
If bought what brand?
I use Beaver brand when I can get it. I have two jars opened right now. Were I to make pot roast today I'd use up the Extra Hot and then as much of the Creamy horseradish as necessary. The cooking seems to mellow the heat of the horseradish.

The Princess was using a crock pot for Sunday dinners. I asked her to roast it in the oven. The families reaction was remarkable! There were always left- overs with crock pot. The oven roasted has little or no left overs.

Ben
I can imagine the difference! The darker brown the roast is, the better the flavor. And the pan drippings make the BEST gravy! I put some water in the bottom of the pan to prevent the roast from drying out but not enough to cover the roast.

" After you remove the meat, you’ll find a beautiful brown color coating the bottom of the pan. You can also find it in the bottom of a roasting pan after you remove your beef roast or pork loin. There is a lot of flavor in that brown coating and the easiest way to unlock that flavor is by deglazing."

I know I have talked about my grandmother's roast beef for Sunday dinner, served with mashed potatoes and gravy. That was the best. When the potatoes were gone, Grandpa would tear up bread and put gravy on it. It was one of his favorite things to eat.

Another thing about beef and pork is that fat is what gives it good flavor when cooked in an oven so that it can brown. The fat needs to be marbled throughout the meat. Lean cuts such as pork tenderloin has no fat in the main part of the meat, and is therefore not as flavorful imho. A roast that has little pieces of fat throughout the meat (marbling) will dissolve when cooked. That is what causes the meat to be tender and flavorful when browned.

Remove the meat from the pan when it is done cooking, and do one of two things. Skim the fat if there is too much, and add an equal amount of flour to make a roux. Or flour or cornstarch mixed with water into a thinner sauce like liquid. The flour mixed into the grease makes a roux, where you then add water to make the gravy. How much water? It is an educated guess. Heat and stir it, add salt and pepper. Cook until the gravy thickens. If too thick, add more water or flour and water. I usually use corn starch with water in a cup and stir it in. Either flour or cornstarch work, but I prefer to use cornstarch because of my daughter's gluten allergy.

Last edited:
What is a good cut of meat for an oven-cooked roast? The few that I've made I've used a rib roast, and those are horrendously expensive. Great tasting, but they'll break the bank. Probably why I don't make many oven roasts. Is there a cut of meat that is cheaper but still comes out great out of the oven?

Reactions: Neb
What is a good cut of meat for an oven-cooked roast? The few that I've made I've used a rib roast, and those are horrendously expensive. Great tasting, but they'll break the bank. Probably why I don't make many oven roasts. Is there a cut of meat that is cheaper but still comes out great out of the oven?
The least expensive beef roasts are chuck roasts. I know people who do not like them, but it might be about how they cook them. I like chuck roasts and if I am cooking a beef roast, it is likely to be a chuck roast. There are a few different kinds of chuck roasts. There are boneless. There are two kinds with bones. One is called a seven bone roast. I am not recalling the name of the other one with a bone. (newer edit: the other roast with a bone is called a blade roast. A cross cut is also boneless) (Edit: it is called a cross cut chuck roast, but I think it is boneless) They tend to be well marbled. They also go on sale periodically.

I also like to cook both beef and pork roasts on a lower heat, as low as 225 degrees. When I was teaching, sometimes I would put a roast in the oven before I left for work on a low temperature, water in the bottom of the pan, a tight lid, and it would be nice and brown and tender when I got home from work. I got this idea of cooking roasts on a lower temperature from an aunt who lived in Rapid City. They would often go for drives in various parts of the Black Hills on Sunday. She would put a roast in the oven on a low temperature before they left, and then they would come home to a tender roast.

One kind of beef that is not well marbled is round steaks. You see meat with no fat running through it. I have known people who do not want any fat on or in their meat and they manicure all the fat off. I totally understand that.

I worked as a meat wrapper for a while and quit when I moved to Colorado to teach. I do know that meat is being cut differently now and the names of cuts are different than they were when I was wrapping meat 30 + years ago. When we had round steaks on sale, we would have people come to the door and want their round steak ground for burger, and they wanted some fat added to it.

Prime rib is one of the most expensive roasts to buy.

Last edited:
I'm rereading this thread and you already chose the kind I recommend. I've never used an Instapot. Is there enough fond (the dark flavorful bits that stick to the pot) there to make gravy or au jus?

Latest posts

Back