Potato yeast.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tank-Girl

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Yesterday I made a unpleasant discovery.
I only had 1 teaspoon of bread yeast left. Now, I know I have at least 2 more blocks in the depths of my chest freezer but they could be anywhere and they are buried under a lot of meat.
So, I got on YT and found a recipe for potato yeast.

I added the 1 teaspoon of yeast I had so I didn't have to worry about my culture failing.

2 cups of flour.
2 tablespoons of sugar.
1 and a half cups of potato water. I made the potato water by boiling potatoes for mashed potatoes and instead of tipping the water down the sink I saved it and waited for it to come to blood temp. If it's too hot it'll kill your yeast.
1 teaspoon of bread yeast.

Mix everything in a large glass jar ( a gallon size would be perfect) with a plate under it. The bigger the better. Trust me this culture will get really active and overflow otherwise.. Sit it out on the bench overnight.
Next morning add 1 cup of water and one cup of plain flour and stir well. Leave sit.
Next morning add another cup of water and one cup of plain flour and stir well. Leave sit.
Now your yeast is ready to use. Use 1 cup of starter for a loaf at a time and replace that cup with 1 cup of water and 1 cup of flour.
And on and on.

My yeast is super active and expect the culture to bubble and rise very quickly after feeding it with fresh flour.

Latest posts

Back