Preparations Update

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Way back in high school, I knew a guy who ate mustard sandwiches with sugar on top.....as in a slice of bread with mustard smeared on it and sugar sprinkled on top. Yes, you read that right.🤪
Although, I probably shouldn't knock it.......b/c I never had the nerve to try it.
My brother would feed me that. No sugar though, just the mustard on bread. He was 7 years older than me, so he was a teenager then and knew nothing of feeding a little kid lol
He also ate mashed potato sandwiches too

My brother would feed me that. No sugar though, just the mustard on bread. He was 7 years older than me, so he was a teenager then and knew nothing of feeding a little kid lol
He also ate mashed potato sandwiches too
I've ate mashed tater sandwiches my entire life. An uncle turned me on to that. Still love em

Way back in high school, I knew a guy who ate mustard sandwiches with sugar on top.....as in a slice of bread with mustard smeared on it and sugar sprinkled on top. Yes, you read that right.🤪
Although, I probably shouldn't knock it.......b/c I never had the nerve to try it.
When the bologna ran out I had to eat ketchup sandwiches.

Ben

We ate alot of fried egg sandwiches growing up. I still like them. And tomato sandwiches when tomatoes are ready to pick.
Went to an overstock store in the bigger town this morning, haven't been in there for months and months. Most of their grocery items are right at sell buy, but I found a few gems. They have changed their store to a bin store. So on Mon, bin items are $7,99 each, and by Thursday they are 99 cents each. Fri thru Sun no bin sales so they can clean them out and restock. So no bin sales today, I'll have to go back.

We ate alot of fried egg sandwiches growing up. I still like them. And tomato sandwiches when tomatoes are ready to pick.
Went to an overstock store in the bigger town this morning, haven't been in there for months and months. Most of their grocery items are right at sell buy, but I found a few gems. They have changed their store to a bin store. So on Mon, bin items are $7,99 each, and by Thursday they are 99 cents each. Fri thru Sun no bin sales so they can clean them out and restock. So no bin sales today, I'll have to go back.
Me too and if it weren’t for Dukes mayo I don’t think I would have survived. Still love a good scrambled egg sandwich today.

Maybe not something to share, but my mom used to pick up day old bakery ‘for the chickens’.
In the fall, we would go as a family and glean the potato fields after harvest was done. Hundreds of pounds of them. Good times.
Clam chowder, clam pie, mussels. I think the folks pulled a Tom Sawyer on us with all those trips to the beach.

Anyone raised on "Scrapple"....??? Scrapple gravy on everything, or Fried Scrapple and eggs, Fried Scrapple sandwiches, Cold sliced Scrapple sandwiches (yucky).

Just in case you are wondering. What Is Scrapple? (thespruceeats.com)

Last edited:
Scrapple, the original Spam without all the salt. :)

In the 1940-50' there was nothing that was cheaper to purchase and eat then Scrapple. And that was back when Wonder Bread was .09 cents a loaf or two loave for .15 cents. Gasoline was 12.9 cents per gallon.

I remember a few times when gas was 10 cents a gallon or less. Mom got a dozen loaves of bread for a dollar. She went shopping once a month and the milk was delivered daily by Dave or Dick.

Yes, they had "Gas Wars", and it was sometimes as low as 9.5 cents a gallon, but that was generally from 11.PM Saturday night till 2:AM Sunday. Generally, it was around 11.9 to 12.9 cents per gallon. We lived near Exton, PA. and the super best gas price was at the Downingtown Farmers Market.

Anyone raised on "Scrapple"....??? Scrapple gravy on everything, or Fried Scrapple and eggs, Fried Scrapple sandwiches, Cold sliced Scrapple sandwiches (yucky).

Scrapple eater here. Slice it and fry it up in a pan until crisp on the outside, put on toast with jelly...we loved it!

My grandma always used to make it...and my kids ate it, too.

We lost my grandma recently. My mother made some for us this past year, but (Aghh!) the recipe she used was different. Still good, but it wasn't grandma's scrapple. :)

Maybe not something to share, but my mom used to pick up day old bakery ‘for the chickens’.
In the fall, we would go as a family and glean the potato fields after harvest was done. Hundreds of pounds of them. Good times.
Clam chowder, clam pie, mussels. I think the folks pulled a Tom Sawyer on us with all those trips to the beach.
I married into a baking family...bakers for 5 generations, which is insane to think about these days. They used to throw out the bread after the first day. Agghh!!! My parents kept the bread until mold grew!

[EDIT: What are the odds? The wife just brought home some freshed baked bread from her father...still warm. I'm sitting here with VERY fresh bread, a little butter, and some wine. Life is simple. Life is good.]

Last edited:
I married into a baking family...bakers for 5 generations, which is insane to think about these days. They used to throw out the bread after the first day. Agghh!!! My parents kept the bread until mold grew!

[EDIT: What are the odds? The wife just brought home some freshed baked bread from her father...still warm. I'm sitting here with VERY fresh bread, a little butter, and some wine. Life is simple. Life is good.]
One word 🤤

We used to go to the "used bread store" for day old bread. If mold grew on it, just cut off that part. Same for cheese.

Edit

The Princess has recently started baking bread. Yes life is good.

Ben

Today I ordered some parts for my generator, just enough to feel comfortable if things went south. I am beginning to think that having parts on hand to repair and maintain my equipment is more important than ever...
Me too! Some time back I got the things I could think of (oil filters, any other odds/belts). Hubby thinks our old tractor needs spark plug wires. I said let's just get them!

Down south it was know as "Souse Meat" aka Hog Head Cheese aka head cheese. Basically all the bits and pieces left over from processing a hog. Its still packaged and sold here, fairly common.

I rigged up a couple of 6 gallon pails with gamma seal lids today, should have done it long ago. They are just for hauling water. I2 gallons of water weighs about 100lbs. Now I can haul both buckets in a small cart without spilling water. Much easier than carrying it.

Yesterday we purchased 3 US made lifetime shovels. A 6 lb maul. The one I bought at harbor freight 6 years ago was an 8 lb. The 6 lb felt heavy enough this time. Oddly enough it works better. I think the angle is sharper.
Also got my wife a pair of quality insulated waterproof boots. She had boots but nothing meant for being outside all day if she needed to.

Last edited:
In our local small town pharmacy, if you don't have insurance they automatically use one of the discount cards for you without you even asking. They have been in business in the same building for decades.

Is that the one with the gun store?

I just looked for a recipe for scrapple.
" Scrapple is a dish made from scraps of pork meat, usually trimming, combined with cornmeal and spices. The individual ingredients are cooked separately and then put together in a loaf pan to chill. When the loaf forms, it's sliced and served. ... In the South, scrapple is often called livermush. "

My family had a dish that is called pickled meat, but not made with cornmeal as described above. I've made it myself. It was something that we had at holiday meals, in addition to whatever other meats we might have. Sometimes there were 4 choices, because the original family would regularly have 30 people for Sunday or holiday dinner. It is made with pigs feet and pork hocks. They are cooked in a pot with water and pickling spices, cooked for a few hours, or until the meat falls off the bones. The meat is cut up into small pieces, put in a pan and the broth poured over the top. It is cooled in the fridge and the fat scraped off the top before cutting up or slicing for serving with a cruet of vinegar to pour over it.

Latest posts

Back