Preparations Update

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WM for $12, already decided to get another one next trip to town.

I'm going on Wednesday, wonder if I can sneak one past the kid. She keeps telling me I don't need anymore cast iron. Like you can have to much......🤯

Filled the cart at Aldi. A man and his wife were watching me put a flat of corn, a flat of beans, another flat of other beans, a flat of canned chicken in my cart. They had been putting in single cans of stuff. Then he stops her and grabs a flat of green beans, a flat of something else. I didn't say a word.
Boy were prices up. On everything. And some expiration dates do not make sense. Aldi PB small jars, up to $1.85 each, and I remember $1.10 each. Best expiration of those I could find was 12/22. You have to wonder where they're pulling out all this stuff. Meat was pretty much gone. I grabbed a roast. A family pack of chicken legs. I really wanted the family packs of boneless thighs for $1.99 lb, but they were out. Heard the guy say they sold out of those the first hour they were open today. They are still trying to sell hams for $2 a lb, not a deal. With the bone in, too. Nope. Limits on milk.

I have a couple that size - use them all the time. They are handy. I'm betting you'll love it!
How cute!! I want one!

Now I have twins! Picked up another one today...

Someone posted something about smoothing the cook surface if needed on lodge cast iron... Steel Wool? Anyone remember?

Food lodge sm 02.JPG

Someone posted something about smoothing the cook surface if needed on lodge cast iron... Steel Wool? Anyone remember?

View attachment 81092
I dont 5hink I saw 5hat post but a milling machine and a rotary table should do the trick. No cutting fluid required for cast iron. Then season as normal.

;)

Ben

View attachment 81092
Hubby used an 80 grit disc on a grinder wheel then a scotch brite disc to smooth is better, then season multiple times with flax seed oil prior to using. We just learned about the flax seed oil part - so far I'm liking it!

Hubby used an 80 grit disc on a grinder wheel then a scotch brite disc to smooth is better, then season multiple times with flax seed oil prior to using. We just learned about the flax seed oil part - so far I'm liking it!
Wouldn't any kind of oil do? Just wondering if there is something special about the flax seed oil.

Wouldn't any kind of oil do? Just wondering if there is something special about the flax seed oil.
So the chemical process (as understood by my peabrain) is in the flash-point of the oil. Several very thin coats (rubbed on rather than brushed) then seasoned at a very high temp - we did 500+* creates the "non-stick" feature we are after. Oils with lower flash-points don't achieve that.

We have really bad cell phone coverage in WV. Even with a booster on the roof. We can't even call one another if one of us are in one of our outbuildings/garage

So today we thought our old BellSouth walkie-talkies could work (everyone had these it seemed in the stores and places. it was before cell phones lol). Well one does, one doesn't.

So we bought a new set to use here at the home place. Supposed to be one-mile range with obstacles (which we have) so they should work everywhere here on the property

Midland - LXT600VP3, 36 Channel FRS Two-Way Radio - Up to 30 Mile Range Walkie Talkie, 121 Privacy Codes, NOAA Weather Scan + Alert (Pair Pack) (Black)

We have really bad cell phone coverage in WV. Even with a booster on the roof. We can't even call one another if one of us are in one of our outbuildings/garage

So today we thought our old BellSouth walkie-talkies could work (everyone had these it seemed in the stores and places. it was before cell phones lol). Well one does, one doesn't.

So we bought a new set to use here at the home place. Supposed to be one-mile range with obstacles (which we have) so they should work everywhere here on the property

Midland - LXT600VP3, 36 Channel FRS Two-Way Radio - Up to 30 Mile Range Walkie Talkie, 121 Privacy Codes, NOAA Weather Scan + Alert (Pair Pack) (Black)

We used those years ago, worked great!

WV those radios are pretty much line of sight frequnies. The radios work well. But distances are not nearly what is claimed unless you are in an open field in a very flat area. Think Kansas

We use these same ones on the ranch and at work. They work great. Long distances are no problem. We use them on both flat land and hills. They last us years.

Welp, finished topping up the Last of our 'extra Jerrys' of Diesel, and Finally found my 'Round Tuit' on getting our second 100#er of Propane filled (..and Thanks to @SheepDog for that recent Fine 'refresher' on filling smaller tanks from larger - even the 'filling station guy' wasn't 100% sure on doing the 100#er, but armed with that 'seasoned reply', I was able to .edu-him to make quick work of it.. :cool:

We're pretty set, otherwise.. Just wish we could be AT our BOL, but.. Still having to 'inch along', on that front.. 😒 Just hope / pray we can make it out 'ahead of the Fireball', when it all comes crashing down, soon.. Will Really be Loathe to end up having to 'recreate scenes from the streets of Sarajevo' (and Now, Kiev... o_O in having to 'make our last stand' be in Suburbia.. 'Prepped', either way, but..

..Guess we shall just have to See / Surf what waves a'cometh.. :cool:

jd

I'm going on Wednesday, wonder if I can sneak one past the kid. She keeps telling me I don't need anymore cast iron. Like you can have to much......🤯
You guys are killing me, my wife loves her 4 cast iron skillets, after reading your posts I see that WM has a number of larger/deeper cast iron skillet/pans that she would love.... Now I need to find a place to store more cast iron......

This morning I finished making my large stand-by battery bank... 10,000 watt-hours. That should keep the wife's phone charged :)
Now that I am planting carrots once a month, I decided to pick up a couple of extra seed types...
Yesterday I noticed that my soil is thawing out so I will soon start working my open outdoor beds.

WV those radios are pretty much line of sight frequnies. The radios work well. But distances are not nearly what is claimed unless you are in an open field in a very flat area. Think Kansas
We know that. We read the whole posting and the part about their coverage
A portion of our woods are in a hollar and the house is above it on a hill. We're hoping with the 1 mile range with obstacles they will work for when one of us is down in that portion of the woods and hopefully when we're in the outbuildings.

Seriously, I could go off on a major rant about WV and how they WON'T do something to better cell phone coverage in this state. ugh. :rolleyes:

@SoJer we are the same. I’m hoping we can at least get our well dug before shtf. Otherwise we will probably have to set up some sort of rainwater catchment system or have water trucked in. There’s a seasonal pond on the property we could dig out more and filter that water too.
Would also love to have the septic done but an outhouse would do in a pinch.
Our sawmill won’t be shipped until May. We ordered solar system yesterday. Just hoping it all gets here. White knuckle experience for sure.

Filled the car with stuff last week.....

*can openers - extra
*fry pans on clearance
*eye and ear drops - added to med kit
*laundry baskets - I keep them around to tote things back and forth from house to barn and also in case I needed a quick grab and go, they would come in handy for that.
*beer
*flat of green beans (don't really need)
*mini propane bottles
*chimney mortar patch kit
*chimney sweeps
*fiberglass gasket repair kit
*diesel cans
*dog food
*charcoal and extra lighters
*garden watering cans - on clearance
*wild rice (case) - they were out the last time I was at Aldi
*mice traps
*fire extinguishers - will be giving some for Christmas gifts
*blankets - on clearance and will be giving as gifts
*gloves - on clearance and will be giving as gifts
*totes - on clearance
*mini knife sharpeners - will attach to 'go bag' and put in tackle box
*tube repair kit for bikes
*dishwasher packets and gel
*shoes and workboots on clearance for hubs
*garbage bags - had big coupon
*food storage bags - on sale
*snow shovel - on clearance
*powdered milk for recipes that call for milk since we don't buy milk
*taco seasonings
*30# propane tank filled and back home - I had to sit it in the passengers seat (wrapped with blanket) with the seatbelt on.

And at the end of the day I bought some beautiful bulb flowers for my sanity and to put on our dogs grave this spring. They smell amazing!

I didn't really want to get the charcoal until Memorial Day when the sales are the best, but who knows what this year will bring? I got a 2 pack for now just to make sure we would have enough to get thru summer if we needed to, without having to restock. If I had a chance, I would grab more charcoal at the last minute if things were to really get dicey.

Amazingly enough, I found some good clearance deals at WM and Home Depot. I think their deals are late this year, but I stocked up on the good ones. Clothes right now and winter items are marked pretty low.

Last edited:
@SoJer we are the same. I’m hoping we can at least get our well dug before...Otherwise we will probably have to set up some sort of rainwater catchment system or have water trucked in. ..

Fwiw, Both for making any porch / tent / sitting-area 'anti-skeeter enclosures' / suits, etc - And - for fantastic little 'first-line' / course-filtration covers over Catchment-barrels and such, I can Highly recommend the 'no-see-um' netting from these guys: http://store.skeeta.biz/fabric-mesh/no-see-um-netting ..Solid Product, Great CS.. :cool:

Fwiw..
jd

@SoJer thanks for the link! I need to revisit this. I ordered 2 pieces of mosquito netting years ago, as an after thought to round up a bigger order for free shipping. They are pretty much crap, I got what I paid for...

Haven't thought about it since learning plants. I have several very good insect repellents but I gotta sleep sometime. Be nice to go to bed not smelling like beauty berry or dog fennel.

I checked the website, reasonable prices for quality. :thumbs:

@SoJer thanks for the link! I need to revisit this...

U betcha. :cool: Yep, if yer gonna do any 'sewing' with it (they Do that, also - make whole Suits / Tents / Enclosures, etc) get this stuff, specifically: http://store.skeeta.biz/no-see-um-military-grade-netting---60-wide-x-by-the-yard
..and the 'Ultra-Fine' (bit cheaper / yd.) is Also good for course-filtration: http://store.skeeta.biz/fabric-mesh/no-see-um-netting/no-see-um-netting-by-the-yard---54-wide-mesh ..But not As-ideal for sewing / 'high-tension' applications.. The 'Mil-grade' stuff is Super tough.. 👍 Makes a Fine 'plant shade' / lean-to, also..

jd

80 grit on an orbital sander. Once you get it smooth you can us as fine a grit as you want to finish it. Sombody mentioned 3M pads, that will do fine.

The wife picked up a couple pans and and wire basket cast iron fry pot that was about as rusty as could be. I put them in my bead blaster and went to work on then but not before soaking them in vinegar to remove the loose stuff. They cleaned up good then like you said I just sanded the cooking surface with 120 up to 320 grit sanding disk to get it the way she wanted it, seasoned it and done. Happy wife no headache. Lol

Back