Preparations Update

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't made the jelly since I drink the juice. It's really nice added to a glass of unsweetened iced tea. If I can find the #10 cans for a good price, I'm going to stock up and try the jelly this year. I'm planting tomatoes but my production is always iffy for some reason and I've only had good luck with cherry tomatoes. So I'm going to keep an eagle eye out for the #10 cans of tomatoes to make salsa with. It's real handy to use canned or frozen goods like that.

I haven't made the jelly since I drink the juice. It's really nice added to a glass of unsweetened iced tea. If I can find the #10 cans for a good price, I'm going to stock up and try the jelly this year. I'm planting tomatoes but my production is always iffy for some reason and I've only had good luck with cherry tomatoes. So I'm going to keep an eagle eye out for the #10 cans of tomatoes to make salsa with. It's real handy to use canned or frozen goods like that.
Hey Kate - last year I had a tomato jungle and gave away bags of tomatoes. Finally pulled the plants. They looked fine I was spent. I'd give ya a'mater or 2 😊

I'd have taken them, too! This year I'm starting several different types of tomato seeds and I'm going to buy some plants to set out, too. If I have to I'll buy some tomatoes at the store, lay them in my planters under the plants and pretend I grew them.
:gardening:

I like #10 cans because I save the cans. I get the lids that fit them online. Then when I dehydrate alot of one thing, I put it in a gallon ziplock and put it in the can. The cans stack easy. 3 quart jars of dehydrated something (like bell pepper strips) fit in one #10 can. Saves food storage space.

I like #10 cans because I save the cans. I get the lids that fit them online. Then when I dehydrate alot of one thing, I put it in a gallon ziplock and put it in the can. The cans stack easy. 3 quart jars of dehydrated something (like bell pepper strips) fit in one #10 can. Saves food storage space.
That's brilliant! I get metal coffee cans and finally got to the point that I just get rid of them. If I can't give them away, to the dump. I always seem to have some around. Never thought of using them for dehydrated foods.

We buy Folgers coffee from Sams Club, and they're in the very heavy plastic with the lid. I save those, too. Little granddaughter was laughing tonight as she was watching me take cake mixes out of the box, keep them in their plastic pouch, and load four of them in a Folgers Can. I cut out the directions and stick it in the can, too. Tonight I packaged 4 Swiss Chocolate mixes, and 12 Funfetti mixes. I got them all super cheap. She was laughing because she thinks I might mistake it for coffee. I assured her that it goes in a different place. She likes cake mixes, she's nine and has just started to bake.

I did thanks. They don't ship to Canada. Most US stores don't any more and Canadian places only have trays and liners for parts.
It's too bad that you don't live close enough to the US border that you could have someone get what you need. I don't know what international travel is like any more, I have been to Canada several times and it used to be a very simple trip, doubt that's the case now days.

I looked into shipping and to ship from US to Canada would be about $30US and you have to fill out some forms, include the sales receipt, and pay excise tax on the value of the item. Lots of problems for a $20 part...

I know we are all trying to figure out what we might need. Just thought of another item trying to stay ahead of the curve. Last year when goof balls were buying TP, I bought canning lids and propane which I am now quite thankful for. Today I ordered a hide of leather. If there is a certain kind or brand of shoes that you like, might see if you can get an extra pair &/or a good pair of long lasting real leather boots/shoes. My favorite pair I purchased about 10 years ago and just keep repairing and replacing the heel. I wore them nearly everyday for many years. I just found a new pair of thicker leather a few months ago that aren't perfect, but doable and sturdy (just not as comfortable.)

I went to the local big box store and coffee was on sale!....$4.89 per container so I bought a dozen of those. I'm sure it won't be too long before coffee goes up, since I'm sure it's imported. I picked up a dozen jars of gravy on sale for .99 since I was low on that. I got more TP, PT, saran wrap, dish detergent, laundry detergent, food bags, and even the last portable air conditioner on the shelf that I wanted, but that they wouldn't ship. I also got a couple of space heaters on clearance. Aldi had seeds for .59 per packet, so I bought a big wad of those. I picked up some raised beds at the farm store along with some potting soil, strawberries, and onions to plant along with some plant food. I also loaded up on dog treats and grill starter fluid while I was there.

A couple of older fellas made some comments about my coffee in the cart while we waited at the deli. I told them I might as well get it while it was on sale and that I didn't think anything was going to go down in price anytime soon. I said "the last thing I want to run out of is coffee!" They wholeheartedly agreed.

Apparently one thing that is in short supply around here is......workers! One store employee I spoke with today said she is working 12 hour days and that it was her 12th day in a row. I saw help wanted signs pretty much everywhere I went today and passed many signs in my travels. I'm glad the stores weren't all that busy today. I'll bet those stores are mad houses on the weekends with lots of customers and few employees, and it'll probably get worse before it gets better. You'd think the high school and college kids would pick up some of those jobs this summer, but I don't think they do that much anymore.:(

Last year when goof balls were buying TP, I bought canning lids and propane which I am now quite thankful for.
If there is a certain kind or brand of shoes that you like, might see if you can get an extra pair &/or a good pair of long lasting real leather boots/shoes.
I did the same as you LadyLocust. The local farm store had propane for $3.49/gal today.:oops: I also looked at the places I went today, including Chinamart and no lids. I don't need any, but I always look....just habit, I guess.
I'm about 6 pairs ahead on my favorite sneakers. That should do it for a while. I also have several pairs of work boots bought ahead for hubs. I figure at this point in our lives, I doubt our feet are going to change size, so I'm stocked.

Okay, one more thing: I have a 30 gal. food grade drum that I love. I was offered 3-5 of them for free years ago but only took one not wanting to be greedy and not having room. Wish now I would have gotten 3 :-0 Live and learn.
1618437387580.png

They have them at Uline and they kinda aren't cheap, but super handy for storing things.

I haven't heard anything so it might just be in my area but it seems like eggs are really creeping up there so I'm going to can quarts of pickled eggs with thin sliced red onions. I can use them like any regular boiled egg for snacks, egg salad sandwiches and deviled eggs.

I haven't heard anything so it might just be in my area but it seems like eggs are really creeping up there so I'm going to can quarts of pickled eggs with thin sliced red onions. I can use them like any regular boiled egg for snacks, egg salad sandwiches and deviled eggs.
I haven't bought eggs in the store since the beginning of the year.

Calico, would you have a basic recipe to share? I’ve done eggs twice, with not good results. What type of vinegar do you use? Thanks.

This will be another first for me, too. They're very simple to make and I'm going to use a basic brine with white vinegar, Drop one smashed garlic clove in the bottom of each quart jar, layer the eggs and thin sliced red onions then pour the hot brine to cover. I'll have a thick layer of onions on top to help keep the eggs under the liquid and leave 1/2" head space. Let sit for at least a week so the flavor will be saturated. The longer it sits the stronger the flavor.

I'll be putting in a grocery order for Friday so I'm going to make a couple of jars this weekend to just put in the frig. Before I put the time into making a big batch, I want to test it in case I do want more seasonings in the brine. After it sits for a bit, I'll send one jar home with my grandson and get his opinion but I already know he'll probably finish the jar off in a week. ;)

I looked around for a recipe and this one is what I have in mind.
Simple Pickled Eggs Recipe | CDKitchen.com

Hey @ClemKadiddlehopper, I was having a bit of a think. I used to know people (they retired a year ago) who worked in Detroit but lived in Southern Canada, they commuted everyday. If you knew someone like that you could have them buy something in the US (delivered to them at work) and they could take it home in their lunch box and mail it to you.

Just trying to think outside the box.

I'm going to can some later but want to get the brine right first. I confess I haven't made them before because I don't like the way they look in the jars. Cider vinegar looks like they're in muddy water and those red eggs from the beets activate my ick reflex. They're not as bad as the - gag - feet things but ewww. The onions will help hide them. What can I say? We all have our squeam issues.

I have gone to buying some of my paper goods online (Costco), noticed that they removed the limit on TP, I didn't need much but it was nice to see the limit removed. I have been arranging my orders so I and avoid the shipping cost. I know I could get it for less if I went to the warehouse, but they open after I usually have finished running my errands and the lines to get in are like Disney Land and I am unwilling to stand next to that many people when I don't have to.... I quit buying my meat there, we don't need 50# batches anymore and I can get smaller batches at the grocery store and the prices are almost the same.

Filled the freezers with some meat.
Stimulus check paid for that.
Stimulus check also paid for the new to me car to be legal.
Stocked up on canned good that I was low on.
Better yet still have part of it left.
Emergency account got a boost, so did savings account.
Still have bit in checking account.
On the lookout for good pair of hiking boots or shoes.
Winter coat something like Carhart, farmer's coat.

Evidently the wife is over the last "food availability" scare. I built a "First in first out" can rack for the backside of the pantry door. We talked about the importance of buying a extra can (or two) of food when she grocery shops. More when on sale. Either she has not been grocery shopping for a long time or...8 cans of food and 9 cans of pop (that nether of us drink).

CanRack.JPG

The extras I've purchased in the past I'm told is the wrong brands, wrong size, the wrong...

I'll bite my tongue when we are down to my freeze dried food stock and she's complaining that it's not real food.

Three generations of normalcy bias in the land of plenty and now the land of convenient plenty, and it is not a surprise that your wife cannot accept the need for more. To do so is simply too scary to contemplate; its better to just resist participating in making it real. None of this helps your situation.

Just going have to do it yourself. She has drawn her line in the sand. Get some ear plugs. She can eat it, go without or help out. It's up to her.

Latest posts

Back