Preparations Update

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've always bought the 40 count bottles of Great Value water and had about six dozen cases put back. It used to be about 10 cents a bottle but it's gone up now to a fraction over 13 cents a bottle. I decided to cut back because it was taking so much room and the cases are too heavy for me. I used up the cases and bought a few of the gallon jugs of water but they're not as easy to store because you can't just stack them so I'm going back to the cases and will just rebuild my wall of water as the kids called it. Good thing I have grandsons with muscles to load and stack for me. :D

A couple of weeks ago I bought 40 cans of the heat and eat Campbell and Progresso chunky soups. That's a whole meal in a can and last year the soup shelves got a little bare. I don't use those up very fast but the UB dates on them are mid 2024.

A couple of weeks ago I bought 40 cans of the heat and eat Campbell and Progresso chunky soups. That's a whole meal in a can and last year the soup shelves got a little bare. I don't use those up very fast but the UB dates on them are mid 2024.
I have a wall of soup! That's besides what's in the kitchen.

Attachments

• wall of soup.jpg
    wall of soup.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Yep, have some type of bread or crackers to go with it and you're good to go. I also keep a good stash of dry soups, too.
I sometimes make what I call pantry soup. Just dump a can of almost every vegetable (with liquid) you have into a big pot, add a package of dry onion soup mix, whatever seasonings you like and bring it to a boil then let it simmer for a while. Don't add salt until it's about done and you taste it.

I generally use cans of potatoes, carrots, peas, green beans, corn, tomatoes, pasta sauce or tomato soup with some more water.

The only place I used bottled water is in my vehicles. About once a year I throw a flat in the back seat floorboards. Its nice for vehicles because when it freezes, it doesn't break the bottle. Other than that, all my water storage is in bulk tanks.

The only place I used bottled water is in my vehicles. About once a year I throw a flat in the back seat floorboards. Its nice for vehicles because when it freezes, it doesn't break the bottle. Other than that, all my water storage is in bulk tanks.
You are such a stranger!🤔😉

A good friend warned me today that we are to expect a shortage of olive oil. Guess I'll pick up another bottle. I'll get some more coconut oil too as it will keep longer.
Coconut oil is also an anti viral and anti bacterial! Yet helps your good guy bacteria!

A good friend warned me today that we are to expect a shortage of olive oil. Guess I'll pick up another bottle. I'll get some more coconut oil too as it will keep longer.
Good heavens! That's old news!
As soon as I found out a few months ago there was an eminent shortage, I stocked up a bunch. Sure enough, in less than a month the price started skyrocketing, and now it's twice what I paid for it!

SO.....how long does coconut oil keep, and can it be "safely" frozen for extended storage life...???

Last edited:
SO.....how long does coconut oil keep, and can it be "safely" frozen for extended storage life...???
Coconut oil is a rare long shelf life oil, good for two years at room temp, who knows how long frozen...you just throw it in the freezer. I have lots of it as a prep. Not my favorite oil for cooking flavor wise, but really useful as a prep.

Coconut oil is the best personal lubricant you can get. Keep some in your medical and trauma kits.
Unlike most lubricants it will not dehydrate tissues.

I've never froze coconut oil. I'm guessing it freezes well if you are doing it!?
Zero experience......never ever have purchased coconut oil. But I'll try it.

Just ordered 400 heavy duty plastic soup spoons. And hundreds of heavy-duty 9" paper plates. That look more like shallow 9" bowls.

Coconut, mineral, olive, hemp , avocado, baby oil etc. Are all good things to prep. This past Saturday I did inventory, winterize etc. Took 7-8 hours. But at least I got some ideas on where to concentrate. Went through quite a bit of butter since covid going to get some more restocked soon.

Has anyone ever tried freezing oils, coconut, olive, etc.?
Yep. I have gallons of frozen oil of all kind. No problems. It doesn't expand like water so just throw it in the freezer unopened.

I can't wait to see what it looks like frozen!
Depending on the oil there are these swirly lines that develop. If you take the time to study them you can pick out the features of famous people or wild animals.

something interesting for heat and light. ive not tried it but i think it has potential.

this guy takes a canning jar and makes his own oil lamp. you can buy the metal wick holders--whatever they are called--to fit canning jars on amazon. runs around $10.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...&linkId=76b76a76db812316c668fb39ea5f80f5&th=1
then he adds a med size metal can on top with cut outs for light. so this metal can sits on top of the brass wick lamp holder thiny. it heats the meatl and radiates a bit of heat.
but put some bricks around it stack them to top of lamp and you got a heater.

fuel is odorless, smokeless paraffin lamp oil

https://www.amazon.com/Gallon-Paraf...in+lamp+oil,garden,196&sr=1-2#customerReviews
it says it is a clean safe burn for indoors. dont have any experience witwh this so i dont know fe. ive heard over the years an alcohol stove is the cleanest burn and safe for infoors but again i dont really know that much. i bet there are some htere who do.

ive seen a few similar that people in EYU are starting to make to have on hand. i thought some might find this interesting.

The 2 x 100 count boxes of FenBen tablets were delivered yesterday afternoon.
Good!
Another 100 days of supply in the preps.
These two boxes cost me $400 AUD with postage.
YES!
It's a lot of money but what is your life worth?
There are 4 on-line vet medication suppliers that carry these FenBen tablets.
Each new order I place is with a different supplier to try and sidestep any awkward questions as to WHY I need so many tablets.
In the States there is very real panic over not being able to acquire the 1 pound bottles of FenBen without a script because people have been opening their big mouths to their supplier and telling them the real reason why they're buying it!
What supplier knowingly wants to take on the liability of supplying an animal medication that they know is being taken by humans?
These big mouths have caused so much suffering in the community.

Still waiting on my order of OTC meds -
4 x 96 count boxes of 665 mg Osteo Paracetamol.
4 x 50 count boxes of 10mg Loratadine.
4 x 96 count boxes of 200mg Ibuprofen.
These cost me $109 AUD plus plus postage.

Latest posts

Back