Preparations Update

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was in town again for more underground electrical cable. The store was closed, but the fish truck from Prince Rupert was in the parking lot.

I bought a 10 lb wild salmon to smoke. It was danged expensive and the last one I will ever buy, me thinks.

What made the purchase easier on the pocket book, is that they gave me close to 40 lbs of fish carcasses and heads from salmon, black cod and rock cod. There was still a lot of meat on them. Looking forward to chowder this winter.

Got my S&S order today, this is how I shop.
That's a 3-4 year supply for me.

Attachments

• nx.jpg
    nx.jpg
    260.4 KB · Views: 0
Dropped a pretty penny today on stuff to replenish the GHB that was stolen - I hate thieves.
Hopefully part of that pretty penny was on methods to keep it from every happening again.

Bought all the supplies I need for the grow boxes in the greenhouse...t posts, chicken wire, weed cloth. Won't get to it right away, but at least have the supplies. Went to the amish salvage store and stocked up on their random stuff. Went to Dollar Tree in the bigger town for catfood, and they didn't have any pet food at all. Still need to empty both dehydrators of tomatoes. I just picked three more buckets, and I have a ton from yesterday, too.

The 2 x 100 count boxes of FenBen tablets were delivered yesterday afternoon.
Good!
Another 100 days of supply in the preps.
These two boxes cost me $400 AUD with postage.
YES!
It's a lot of money but what is your life worth?
There are 4 on-line vet medication suppliers that carry these FenBen tablets.
Each new order I place is with a different supplier to try and sidestep any awkward questions as to WHY I need so many tablets.
In the States there is very real panic over not being able to acquire the 1 pound bottles of FenBen without a script because people have been opening their big mouths to their supplier and telling them the real reason why they're buying it!
What supplier knowingly wants to take on the liability of supplying an animal medication that they know is being taken by humans?
These big mouths have caused so much suffering in the community.

Still waiting on my order of OTC meds -
4 x 96 count boxes of 665 mg Osteo Paracetamol.
4 x 50 count boxes of 10mg Loratadine.
4 x 96 count boxes of 200mg Ibuprofen.
These cost me $109 AUD plus plus postage.

My OTC meds were delivered yesterday.
I checked the boxes for expiry date and correct count and tampering.
Everything looks 100% legit and above board.
I put them into the meds stockpile.
I'm not sure if I should be buying more because I have a list of shelf stable food
preps and chicken/dog feed I want to get.

I still haven't done a dry run on my solar system yet and I need to get that done while I can still get components.
The charge controller has me worried.
It's an el'cheapo ebay special and my gut is telling me it's going to let me down.
I may just buy a better quality one now so it sets my mind at ease.

Not traveling to Seattle? Lol
My mistake was having it in the car for my husband who failed to take it out of the trunk. 😬

Lol, Seattle is definitely dangerous, thought a doc would be used to it by now. In bigger cities hospitals are in some of the worst neighborhoods imaginable. Especially LA. I'll never forget being sent to East LA Doctors Hosp, I find the entrance to the parking deck. There was a pile of broken cinder blocks where the guard shack used to be. Someone got mad at the security guy and drove their car over the shack. :oops:

Just one a dozens of dangerous hospitals I've worked at. Methodist hosp in Indianapolis is another. Herds of crack addicts roaming the neighborhood at night. My hotel was 2 blocks away with an off duty cop working the lobby. At 7:30pm I started out to get something from my rental car. The cop told me in no uncertain terms... don't go! I listened to his advice. :)

I got my water barrel but it's not set up yet. I need another me. We have a river behind us but we are at the lower end of the valley and I don't even want to think of what's in that water. I do have filters, but. . . I would rather have rain catchment off a metal roof as a starting point. Also, a shorter walk to the back of the house than down to the river.
Plenty of olive oil here. I think Amazon plants bots to spread roomers like that to up sales. If you purchase US olive oil, it's probably olive oil. If you purchase Italian olive oil, it's not olive oil. Moffia controls that market and knows we (as a nation) are ignorant in such things. Coconut oil has doubled over the past year (here at least.)
Can't remember if I shared, but I also got a sling shot. I need another me for this as well. I need to practice which I do with small rocks while sitting on the front step and try to hit the fence post a ways off. I'm not very good - yet! Also have the BBs but saving those for a special occasion.

I think I backpacked 400 to 500 pounds of groceries and beer up the mountain in last two weeks. one inch of snow today 22 to 23 above tonight, high of 25 to 27 tomorrow. Been ordering more food but doing it so two packs of four cans of green beans come every two weeks. I'll quit that when the snow gets deep. Finished my order for 40 pairs of heavy "work" socks. Going to need more beer before Christmas. Going to be a very-very hard winter for me, I truly just barely made it through last winter. Both hips are now bone on bone. My body is "Spawned Out" (only Alaskans will understand that).

Can't remember if I shared, but I also got a sling shot. I need another me for this as well. I need to practice which I do with small rocks while sitting on the front step and try to hit the fence post a ways off. I'm not very good - yet! Also have the BBs but saving those for a special occasion.

@LadyLocust Seems I've seen this slingshot ammo at walley's but don't quote me.... I know I see it at sporting goods stores and gun shops.

KISEER 2500 Pcs 3/8 Inch Slingshot Ammo Ball Natural Biodegradable Clay Slingshot Ball
or
Daisy Outdoor Products 988183-446 Steel Slingshot Ammo - Trapped Blister (Black, 3/8 Inch)

2nd time I moved to Buffalo I had a house with a full basement. In preparation of winter I bought a wrist rocket and a few hundred of these 3/8th ammo steel balls. Knowing I’d be trapped inside for months.

In the basement I set up a box and shot at soda cans all winter. Next summer not a single neighbor complained about squirrels. In fact a few wondered where they went… 🤣

I was a decent shot at anything less than 50ft. Just takes practice and good ammo. Stones are difficult to shoot accurately.

Last edited:
I think I backpacked 400 to 500 pounds of groceries and beer up the mountain in last two weeks. one inch of snow today 22 to 23 above tonight, high of 25 to 27 tomorrow. Been ordering more food but doing it so two packs of four cans of green beans come every two weeks. I'll quit that when the snow gets deep. Finished my order for 40 pairs of heavy "work" socks. Going to need more beer before Christmas. Going to be a very-very hard winter for me, I truly just barely made it through last winter. Both hips are now bone on bone. My body is "Spawned Out" (only Alaskans will understand that).
hang tough man ! you can do it !

@LadyLocust Seems I've seen this slingshot ammo at walley's but don't quote me.... I know I see it at sporting goods stores and gun shops.

KISEER 2500 Pcs 3/8 Inch Slingshot Ammo Ball Natural Biodegradable Clay Slingshot Ball
or
Daisy Outdoor Products 988183-446 Steel Slingshot Ammo - Trapped Blister (Black, 3/8 Inch)

2nd time I moved to Buffalo I had a house with a full basement. In preparation of winter I bought a wrist rocket and a few hundred of these 3/8th ammo steel balls. Knowing I’d be trapped inside for months.

In the basement I set up a box and shot at soda cans all winter. Next summer not a single neighbor complained about squirrels. In fact a few wondered where they went… 🤣

I was a decent shot at anything less than 50ft. Just takes practice and good ammo. Stones are difficult to shoot accurately.
If you want a better price, and quantity, of sling shot ammo some 00 Buck should do well. 000 Buck is also available.
https://www.ballisticproducts.com/Shot/departments/63/

Winter onion and garlic sets arrived, along with spinach seeds. And my pump is now fixed, so lining up all my empty containers and drums for the rain that's coming. Hoping to harvest our honey this weekend. Went to get two new car tyres and ended up getting four, so I'm good for winter. Tyres seem to be the only thing that didn't go up €75 each, and he sold them to me for 70. They put them on also, and give you a coffee while you wait.

I have a slingshot too but haven't had time to practice with it. I'm going to steal Peanut's idea a set up a target in my cellar to shoot at during the winter. 😄
My washer and dryer were in the basement. Anytime I went down or if I had to wait 15/20minutes for a load to finish... I'd shoot.

I set my target up next to the drain. All the errant steel balls would roll to the lowest spot in the basement... the drain. Easy to sweep them up with a push broom. 😁

Dropped a pretty penny today on stuff to replenish the GHB that was stolen - I hate thieves.
I hate thieves as well. When it comes to all things like GHB, First Aid Kits, it seems that there are a lot of little things to consider.
I have had a sling shot for a number of years. It isn't in my BOB, but I think it should be, which I need to go through and inventory and re-organize.

Picked up this for next to nothing....start of a whole new project for me.View attachment 95817

I need something like that. You're giving me all sorts of ideas. Some expanded metal mesh for a cover on a frame. Have it double as a ramp if needed. Hinge the tail gate on the side. Maybe another frame same size/removable as the EMM frame. On it build a cover/roof of some type 18" tall maybe. Now it's multipurpose...

I have an 8ft single axle trailer with mesh tail gate here on the farm. Made local, heavy duty. But it pulls heavy, loaded or empty. And I can't see the darned thing! Unless I have 275g water tote or something tall I can't see what it's doing at all times. Most annoying trailer I've ever pulled. I've run it past it's load limit but only a few times. 95% of the time I haul less than 750lbs

I need something lighter, taller, lockable or weather proof and I can roll something into it.

Good find! Next time I see an old yota bed in good shape...

I need something like that. You're giving me all sorts of ideas. Some expanded metal mesh for a cover on a frame. Have it double as a ramp if needed. Hinge the tail gate on the side. Maybe another frame same size/removable as the EMM frame. On it build a cover/roof of some type 18" tall maybe. Now it's multipurpose...

I have an 8ft single axle trailer with mesh tail gate here on the farm. Made local, heavy duty. But it pulls heavy, loaded or empty. And I can't see the darned thing! Unless I have 275g water tote or something tall I can't see what it's doing at all times. Most annoying trailer I've ever pulled. I've run it past it's load limit but only a few times. 95% of the time I haul less than 750lbs

I need something lighter, taller, lockable or weather proof and I can roll something into it.

Good find! Next time I see an old yota bed in good shape...
We have a little 8' trailer. Hubby attached a 6' fiberglass plant stake to the back corner, sticking up. Makes it easier backing it in somewhere since it's hard to see the little trailer behind the truck.

Picked up this for next to nothing....start of a whole new project for me.View attachment 95817
A guy I worked with had one similar to that. He made it from a wreck of the same brand as his truck. He got the front rims as well. He had full size spares that would fit both the truck and the trailer. He could have two flats and still move on down the road. If desperate he could take the two off the trailer and still head on down the road with a spare.

P.S. He found a wreck the same color as his truck. It looked good.

Pension day tomorrow and the GP visit has thrown a spanner into my carefully planned budget.
I really don't think things are going to hit the fan in a big way until the DemonRats find out the results of the midterms
and then they'll flip the table on the entire world out of sheer spite.

I need chicken and dog food.
I need some more of my exotic sups but we have had extreme weather events in the southern states with roads and airports washed out.
I'm going to have to be careful who I buy from or my order will be trapped for weeks until the roads and airports are fixed.

I would put in a on-line delivery for a grocery order BUT regardless of if you put "NO DENTED CANS PLEASE" on the shopping notes they still put dented cans in your order without fail.

Last pension I brought flats of Aldi tinned soups.
I tried one of each flavour as a trial and I was surprised how good they were.
I'll be buying more flats of each again depending on availability.
There aren't buy limits in this store so I'll make sure I check each can carefully
and get quite a few flats.
Aldi in my town doesn't sell cream soups which is a bummer.
Nor do they sell bulk packs of anything.

I noticed in the other large chain stores that large bulk packs of toilet paper are back in stock
and the price has dropped.
I can get a pack of 36 roll name brand toilet paper for $16.
There are no buy limits on these either.
For that price I'm going to fill a cart.

I'm buying my Christmas dinner now.
I generally get a 5kg box of prawns, a leg of lamb, a big tub of mud cake icecream, and light fruit cake to put in the freezer.
This year I'll be getting packs frozen pre-prepped roast vegetables and brussel sprouts as well to put in the freezer.
I just can't count that the veggies and greens are going to be available fresh in the supermarket when Christmas because of SHTF globally and it looks like we are headed into a extremely violent wet season.

Last year's Christmas cheer was Jim Beam's Apple Bourbon and a Lychee liqueur.
I found both were a little sickly so I have no idea what this years Christmas cheer will be.
I always like to try something different so I'll have to go and have a stroll through the biggest liquor store in town and see if anything catches my eye.

Latest posts

Back