Preparations Update

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dollar Store preps:
Mesh bags - the 2 larger sizes we use for gathering mushrooms in particular but tend to use them for other things as well. They are lingerie bags found with the clothes pins and ironing sorta stuff.
The small bags are in the party favors section of the wedding stuff. I use those for tying over seed heads of plants to gather seeds when I'm not home much.
View attachment 110794
GREAT idea!! I knew we kept you around for a reason 😉♥️

I don't know if I have said this before here. When you are out and about buying a little more than the average Joe here is how we address funny looks. We say oh we volunteer at a local pantry. People seem relieved and nod or smile. Here is the beauty in this, it is 100% true and accurate. I am local and I don't get paid to work in my pantry.

I got 2 more lanterns today to $5 each. I met a guy that had several hundred and he gave me his card. I am guessing that is the Lord's way of saying I don't have a problem and here is a parts hook up.
Photos??

I guess they didn't upload. I rarely get them with the glass intact.
KIMG3877.JPG

Around this time of year I try and order online walmart in the past for canned goods and pantry staples. Mainly for snow storm events that make getting off the mountain impossible. But im finding canned goods hard to get from online walmart. Like 4 can packs. Or cases. We are not close to a big box store. So online shipping is it. No fresh food drlivery. Anyone have a place they order from?

Around this time of year I try and order online walmart in the past for canned goods and pantry staples. Mainly for snow storm events that make getting off the mountain impossible. But im finding canned goods hard to get from online walmart. Like 4 can packs. Or cases. We are not close to a big box store. So online shipping is it. No fresh food drlivery. Anyone have a place they order from?
Most of the time we just make a trip to Sam's Club. It's almost an hour away, but it's worth it! Head over to 'new member introductions ' and tell us a little about yourself!! Welcome to the forum!!

I've never used Sam's since I have a Walmart near me but it looks like they have a shipping option.
https://www.samsclub.com/b/soup-canned-goods/1466

Hi @forcast welcome from Oregon. We have an introductions thread if you want to tell us a little about yourself. What ever you are comfortable with of course. 😁

Hi @forcast welcome from Oregon. We have an introductions thread if you want to tell us a little about yourself. What ever you are comfortable with of course. 😁
Okay, this struck me as funny. Whatchya doin' Oregon trying to schmooze with the forecast to get some good weather? 😂
Sorry, I know I'm warped.

I've found a couple good lanterns at yardsales still in the original packaging.

Well.. The 'irony' isn't lost on me, that last Sat - when 'Lahaina', there, was about to get burnt to a crisp :( ) I pulled out all my 'turnout' gear as part of my Annual 'Could I still hack it, if I Had to' exercise..

..Ergo: Get into the Full gear, Go outside (in 110˚ o_O ) run between shoveling & tossing dirt / climbing the extension ladder up on roof / down / unroll & roll 200' of 1.5" Hose-rolls, etc.. And, I "passed" (but, Thankfully, not 'Out'.. ;)

WTFD-1.jpg
WTFD-TO-Pak.jpg
:cool:

Always fun 'freaking out the Neighbors for a bit' :p but, a Good Op, really, to 'inspect the Hoses', Pump, et al, anyway.. (especially after my Last 'Derp-Lesson learned'... https://www.homesteadingforum.org/threads/rant-for-the-day-keep-it-clean.912/page-67#post-333941 :rolleyes:

Hope I never have to 'use it all, For Real', but.. As I oft quip... 'Hope is Not a Plan'.. :cool:

jd

Got another Mr buddy heater to include with the one that I already have.got a line,and a shut off valve for it.that way propane will remain in the line while changing the tanks.also got a refill valve for refilling the 1LB tanks.still need to get one 20LB tank to get. I'll be stocking up on the 40LB'ER'S after that.

I finally ordered an emergency crank radio, just the basics but something that could monitor the NOAA weather and such in an emergency. The wife was shocked when she found out I didn't have one on the shelf...

This summer I finished setting up emergency battery banks for the freezers and sump pump.

I finally ordered an emergency crank radio, just the basics but something that could monitor the NOAA weather and such in an emergency. The wife was shocked when she found out I didn't have one on the shelf...

This summer I finished setting up emergency battery banks for the freezers and sump pump.
Funny I was just looking at those radios on Amazon. would you share which one you got

Funny I was just looking at those radios on Amazon. would you share which one you got
Now this is not an endorsement (only time will tell for that) but, I bought a Kaito 500 Voyager Emergency Radio, with the antenna extension and the AC charger. I did get it on Amazon.

For the last 3 years I have been adding low-wattage appliances to my grid-down emergency shelf, including small electric skillet, small crock pot, coffee maker (for hot water), a fry daddy deep fryer, a small air fryer, a small toaster oven, and a small microwave. I have tried to keep everything around 1000 watts. When coupled to my small solar array, 11kWh (usable) battery bank, and 4kW inverter we can at least have a hot dinner every day.

We used the toaster oven, electric skillet, and crock pot for 6 months while I was remodeling the kitchen in 2020 and they just did the job. But they were not sufficient for more than 3 people...

The emergency radio was part of the list that I had yet to fill. I keep thinking I would want to add 2 CBs (base station and a mobile) to that list but their lack of range has kept me from making that investment (had experience with them in the 70s).

Thank you @UrbanHunter. I'll add that one to my list of ones to check out. Good idea about the low wattage appliances. That's something else I've been meaning to check out. Cooking for two is just fine as it's only Dad and I. I've got a couple of the solar "generators" and that would be a helpful addition to them.

Thank you @UrbanHunter. I'll add that one to my list of ones to check out. Good idea about the low wattage appliances. That's something else I've been meaning to check out. Cooking for two is just fine as it's only Dad and I. I've got a couple of the solar "generators" and that would be a helpful addition to them.
We were surprised how well the little Nesco, 8" electric skillet worked out for us, at 800 watts it was great for frying an egg or steaming some veggies.. We used it almost every day for 6 months and it is still good to go on the emergency shelf.

A few years ago, when I was researching water filters, all the best one were infused with silver. The silver would kill anything that go through the filter. This is probably the excuse they use to declare them pesticides.

My question is, what are they planning to put in our water.

A few years ago, when I was researching water filters, all the best one were infused with silver. The silver would kill anything that go through the filter. This is probably the excuse they use to declare them pesticides.

My question is, what are they planning to put in our water.

If I told you, you wouldn't believe me. Filter all your water, especially what you consume. Never forget we are at war with our captured government.

If I told you, you wouldn't believe me. Filter all your water, especially what you consume. Never forget we are at war with our captured government.
I'm living at two homes these days. One has a well that serves only us and and has an RO filter. The other collects rain water for all our needs.

I think I need a couple nothing fancy mechanical watches.

I shopped online tonight for that very thing... only found a headache. Shopping for something i'm unfamiliar with tends to do that.

Impression so far... <$40, those watches seem to have problems. The most common complaints, poor time keeping and cheap materials.

I can live with cheap material but i need it to keep good time. I didn't find one i'd risk $30 on.

The next group, $59-$100. Gets confusing, different names for same features. They try to sneak in auto this and auto that. Lots of terminology to get straight before dropping $80.

I didn't find a simple mechanical wind up watch made from good materials.. so far. I even checked pocket watches.

This talk of outlawing the ceramic water filters has me thinking I should double my backup. I have to wonder if there is something more behind the drive to make people "dependent" on the establishment for everything from water to TP.... Just thinking about it gives me a headache... So I need to order more aspirin too... :)

Back