Preparations Update

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hope tomorrow (the eclipse) is a big nothingburger. But, I wouldn't be surprised if TPTB use the day for a FF event. There's rumblings that some think it would be an opportune time for 'them' to use HARP to create some chaos.....as if this world isn't chaotic enough right now.:( There's also rumblings that it may usher in Jesus himself in the clouds. I guess we shall see soon enough.

I don't really think it's going to be much different than any other day, but I've gassed up the vehicles, filled the frig, and did a bunch of chores that require electicity (vacuuming, laundry, dishes, etc.) in case of a power outage secondary to a FF event. If nothing happens, then I have my chores done and I can relax.:)
I don’t know what an “FF” event is.

I now have a 30 lb case of butter. That’s a good thing 😊
Me too and 32 5-9oz filets(with 10 lbs more fresh in bags to trim and freeze!) , 18 big NY strips, and 57 cubic feet of stuffed deep freezers. Why do I know how many filets you may ask? Well apparently our July 2022 Anti Covid Family "CHEAP SURF AND TURF" party with 27 folks attending was a hit.
Everyone brought something wonderful and we supplied all booze, wine and filets for all. DH GRILLED EACH ONE! DB caught and fileted and brought a deep frier for the other entree FRIED WALLEYE!!

Did I mention we had to move the party suddenly indoors when the tornado sirens sounded????? No problem everyone fit (but with filet you kinda have to sit down to eat with a steak knife). It was truly wonderful.

So we started to get hints about January they were hoping for a 2nd party... So I have been stocking up.

Me too and 32 5-9oz filets(with 10 lbs more fresh in bags to trim and freeze!) , 18 big NY strips, and 57 cubic feet of stuffed deep freezers. Why do I know how many filets you may ask? Well apparently our July 2022 Anti Covid Family "CHEAP SURF AND TURF" party with 27 folks attending was a hit.
Everyone brought something wonderful and we supplied all booze, wine and filets for all. DH GRILLED EACH ONE! DB caught and fileted and brought a deep frier for the other entree FRIED WALLEYE!!

Did I mention we had to move the party suddenly indoors when the tornado sirens sounded????? No problem everyone fit (but with filet you kinda have to sit down to eat with a steak knife). It was truly wonderful.

So we started to get hints about January they were hoping for a 2nd party... So I have been stocking up.
Sounds delicious. Would you like another long lost cousin 😉😂

I got scraped up cutting brush today. Found 3 issues with my medical supplies, need more gauze pads for starters. Annoyed at myself for letting it happen. Makes me wonder what else i might have over looked.

Its time to go through everything, restock and reorganize. Besides, occasionally I switch my approach to certain medical situations. New knowledge or gear comes along.

I've gone almost completely natural over the last 20yrs. Replaced all my pharms with plants i harvest locally. But I still use alcohol, gauze, bandaids, and a few other consumables. Might as well use them while they are available. (could kick myself for almost running out of gauze.)

I added a few more bullets to my stash. We've been shooting more, so now I can shoot without the guilt of raiding what we have. It seems to have gotten pricey since I last bought 357's. I bought some other stuff too b/c I had the cash and it was on the shelf. I don't think it's ever going back down again, so I guess I might as well trade the soon to be worthless dollars for some brass. Also bought hubby a new golden boy for an upcoming birthday. I think he'll be happy:)

I added a case of corned beef to the pantry. I've been making it more over the last year, so again, it's more of a replacement. Still, it counts as a canned meat and it's a quick meal. Hubby has eaten it in a soft taco shell when there wasn't any bread and said it tasted fine that way. I always have soft taco shells around, so I might have to try that myself.

I'm hoping to get started working in the raised beds soon. Hopefully will start trying to sprout this weekend or next week.

Interesting! It’s probably not something I would use regularly but it’s good to have in mind if I have beans past their prime.
Yes! If any of us are in a situation where we have old beans, but are struggling with having enough food. There are a number of recipes for cooking with bean flour.

There are a few things like the beans that can be made into flour, such as zucchini that has been dried out. That is called Amish flour. Zucchini grows like a weed, so it would be an easy thing to fill up gaps in our food stores.

And the weed, dock, has the brown seeds in the fall that can also be ground into flour.

These bean flours can be used to extend your wheat flour as well as to increase the protein content. Wheat is a grain and beans and grains together make a complete protein. Replacing 10% of your wheat with bean flour will help extend your wheat flour. If a recipe can be successful at 50/50 then it will go much further with much higher, and better, protein. You will have to work out which is successful.

There was a medieval bread called horse bread. It was made with coarse grains and legumes.
I have tried making a similar bread by grinding various grains and legumes together and actually made a decent bread. I didn't use a recipe, but did it by "feel." I did not use yeast. It was quite a while ago so I don't remember exactly what I did or what I used. I probably ground a handful of what ever grains and legumes I had. DH liked it a lot.

Here are a couple of links to info:

https://www.yummysmells.ca/2017/06/medieval-horsebread.html

https://www.food.com/recipe/medieval-horsebread-532256

Back