Preparedness Inventory Form

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My goal has been to have enough food stored for a year and a way of producing more, as in garden & chickens. But more recently 've been wondering if that's going to be possible. With this crazy late spring & cold temps, the garden isn't doing like it should and the chickens aren't brooding. Getting an incubator has been in my thoughts lately, but they work on electricity. Power goes out and no chicks. Some are battery powered or dual, but how to recharge it comes to mind. There is solar, but only when the sun comes out and if you have a solar recharger, which I don't and not sure if that's within my skill set.

So part of all that comes down to 'What do you do on day 366?" or whenever supplies run out, growing your own isn't working as planned and you have nothing left? Hopefully somewhere along the line opportunity will prevail

As for tools & gadgets & such, old fashioned manual operated is good to have that don't require gas, oil, electric or other outside power or operating source. Axes, splitting mauls, can openers, meat or grain grinders, pasta rollers, knife sharpeners, etc

As for your question of having 365 pints of meat? I would say yes, but that list also includes eggs, & dried beans as protein sources, yet gives separate amounts for those. To me, it seems 'they' would rely more on beans & rice by way of protein. As for us, I try to look at what we currently eat, how much, how it's prepared and how often in order to determine how long the supplies will last. Example would be having a 'breakfast' for dinner using eggs instead of meat. We do that about twice a month, give or take so that would make the 365 pints of meat last another 24 days, then add in maybe a once a month rice & beans and that would push it out another 12 days. Then add in any repurposed leftovers.

I don't know that I have much ready to eat supplies. There are some, like tuna and MRE's and stuff I've dehydrated that was precooked, but most of it would take atleast some cooking or at the very least boiling water.

And if all else fails, I think skills & knowledge can go a long way, Probably better than actual supplies. I just hope I don't have to bug out and can safely shelter in place.......hahahaha, I'm probably dreaming

This is a list that prompted me to really start prepping, and shifted my focus from 'homesteading' to prepsteading. And that was more than 5 years ago. So you can see from the events of the last few years, the list isn't too far off base.

There are alot of prepper sites that publish this list, that was supposed to have been originated by a Sarajevo war survivor, IIRC. I believe the original was first published on PowerHour website. I tried to include the link here, but it came up with error code, so just copied from another site.

100 items to disappear first

1. Generators
2. Water Filters/Purifiers
3. Portable Toilets
4. Seasoned Firewood
5. Lamp Oil, Wicks, Lamps, Lanterns
6. Camp Stove Fuel – Impossible to stockpile too much.
7. Guns, Ammunition, Pepper Spray, Knives, Clubs, Bats & Slingshots.
8. Hand-can openers, & hand egg beaters, whisks.
9. Honey/Syrups/white, brown sugar
10. RiceBeansWheat
11. Vegetable Oil (for cooking) Without it food burns/must be boiled
12. Charcoal, Lighter Fluid
13. Water Containers
14. Mini Heater head (Without this item, propane won’t heat a room)
15. Grain Grinder (Non-electric)
16. Propane Cylinders (Urgent: Definite shortages will occur.)
17. Survival Guide Book
18. Lantern Mantles
19. Baby Supplies: Diapers/formula. ointments/aspirin, etc.
20. Washboards, Mop Bucket w/wringer (for Laundry)
21. Propane Cookstoves
22. Vitamins
23. Propane Cylinder Handle-Holder
24. Feminine Hygiene/Haircare/Skin products.
25. Thermal underwear / Polypropylene
26. Bow saws, axes and hatchets, Wedges (also, honing oil)
27. Aluminum Foil Reg. & Heavy Duty
28. Gasoline Containers (Plastic & Metal)
29. Garbage Bags
30. Toilet Paper, Kleenex, Paper Towels
31. Milk – Powdered & Condensed
32. Garden Seeds (Non-Hybrid)
33. Clothes pins/line/hangers
34. Coleman’s Pump Repair Kit
35. Tuna Fish (in oil)
36. Fire Extinguishers (or..large box of Baking Soda in every room)
37. First aid kits
38. Batteries
39. Garlic, spices & vinegar, baking supplies
40. Big Dogs (and plenty of dog food)
41. Flour, yeast & salt
42. Matches
43. Writing paper/pads/pencils, solar calculators
44. Insulated ice chests
45. Workboots, belts, jeans & durable shirts
46. Flashlights, Lightsticks, torches, Lanterns
47. Journals, Diaries & Scrapbooks
48. Garbage cans Plastic
49. Hygiene: Shampoo, Toothbrush/paste, Mouthwash, floss
50. Cast iron cookware
51. Fishing supplies/tools
52. Mosquito coils/repellent, sprays/creams
53. Duct Tape
54. Tarps/stakes/twine/nails/rope/spikes
55. Candles
56. Laundry Detergent (liquid)
57. Backpacks, Duffel Bags
58. Garden tools & supplies
59. Scissors, fabrics & sewing supplies
60. Canned Fruits, Veggies, Soups, stews, etc.
61. Bleach
62. Canning supplies, (Jars/lids/wax)
63. Knives & Sharpening tools: files, stones, steel
64. Bicycles…Tires/tubes/pumps/chains, etc
65. Sleeping Bags & blankets/pillows/mats
66. Carbon Monoxide Alarm (battery powered)
67. Board Games, Cards, Dice
68. d-con Rat poison, MOUSE PRUFE II, Roach Killer
69. Mousetraps, Ant traps & cockroach magnets
70. Paper plates/cups/utensils (stock up, folks)
71. Baby wipes, oils, waterless & Antibacterial soap
72. Rain gear, rubberized boots, etc.
73. Shaving supplies
74. Hand pumps & siphons (for water and for fuels)
75. Soysauce, vinegar, bullions/gravy/soupbase
76. Boy Scout Handbook
77. Chocolate/Cocoa/Tang/Punch (water enhancers)
78. “Survival-in-a-Can”
79. Woolen clothing, scarves/ear-muffs/mittens
80. Reading glasses
81. Window Insulation Kit
82. Graham crackers, saltines, pretzels, Trail mix/Jerky
83. Popcorn, Peanut Butter, Nuts
84. Socks, Underwear, T-shirts, etc. (extras)
85. Lumber (all types)
86. Wagons & carts (for transport to and from)
87. Cots & Inflatable mattress’s
88. Gloves: Work/warming/gardening, etc.
89. Lantern Hangers
90. Screen Patches, glue, nails, screws,, nuts & bolts
91. Teas
92. Coffee
93. Cigarettes
94. Wine/Liquors (for bribes, medicinal, etc,)
95. Paraffin wax
96. Glue, nails, nuts, bolts, screws, etc.
97. Chewing gum/candies
98. Atomizers (for cooling/bathing)
99. Hats & cotton neckerchiefs
100. Goats/chickens

This is a list that prompted me to really start prepping, and shifted my focus from 'homesteading' to prepsteading. And that was more than 5 years ago. So you can see from the events of the last few years, the list isn't too far off base.

There are alot of prepper sites that publish this list, that was supposed to have been originated by a Sarajevo war survivor, IIRC. I believe the original was first published on PowerHour website. I tried to include the link here, but it came up with error code, so just copied from another site.

100 items to disappear first

1. Generators
2. Water Filters/Purifiers
3. Portable Toilets
4. Seasoned Firewood
5. Lamp Oil, Wicks, Lamps, Lanterns
6. Camp Stove Fuel – Impossible to stockpile too much.
7. Guns, Ammunition, Pepper Spray, Knives, Clubs, Bats & Slingshots.
8. Hand-can openers, & hand egg beaters, whisks.
9. Honey/Syrups/white, brown sugar
10. RiceBeansWheat
11. Vegetable Oil (for cooking) Without it food burns/must be boiled
12. Charcoal, Lighter Fluid
13. Water Containers
14. Mini Heater head (Without this item, propane won’t heat a room)
15. Grain Grinder (Non-electric)
16. Propane Cylinders (Urgent: Definite shortages will occur.)
17. Survival Guide Book
18. Lantern Mantles
19. Baby Supplies: Diapers/formula. ointments/aspirin, etc.
20. Washboards, Mop Bucket w/wringer (for Laundry)
21. Propane Cookstoves
22. Vitamins
23. Propane Cylinder Handle-Holder
24. Feminine Hygiene/Haircare/Skin products.
25. Thermal underwear / Polypropylene
26. Bow saws, axes and hatchets, Wedges (also, honing oil)
27. Aluminum Foil Reg. & Heavy Duty
28. Gasoline Containers (Plastic & Metal)
29. Garbage Bags
30. Toilet Paper, Kleenex, Paper Towels
31. Milk – Powdered & Condensed
32. Garden Seeds (Non-Hybrid)
33. Clothes pins/line/hangers
34. Coleman’s Pump Repair Kit
35. Tuna Fish (in oil)
36. Fire Extinguishers (or..large box of Baking Soda in every room)
37. First aid kits
38. Batteries
39. Garlic, spices & vinegar, baking supplies
40. Big Dogs (and plenty of dog food)
41. Flour, yeast & salt
42. Matches
43. Writing paper/pads/pencils, solar calculators
44. Insulated ice chests
45. Workboots, belts, jeans & durable shirts
46. Flashlights, Lightsticks, torches, Lanterns
47. Journals, Diaries & Scrapbooks
48. Garbage cans Plastic
49. Hygiene: Shampoo, Toothbrush/paste, Mouthwash, floss
50. Cast iron cookware
51. Fishing supplies/tools
52. Mosquito coils/repellent, sprays/creams
53. Duct Tape
54. Tarps/stakes/twine/nails/rope/spikes
55. Candles
56. Laundry Detergent (liquid)
57. Backpacks, Duffel Bags
58. Garden tools & supplies
59. Scissors, fabrics & sewing supplies
60. Canned Fruits, Veggies, Soups, stews, etc.
61. Bleach
62. Canning supplies, (Jars/lids/wax)
63. Knives & Sharpening tools: files, stones, steel
64. Bicycles…Tires/tubes/pumps/chains, etc
65. Sleeping Bags & blankets/pillows/mats
66. Carbon Monoxide Alarm (battery powered)
67. Board Games, Cards, Dice
68. d-con Rat poison, MOUSE PRUFE II, Roach Killer
69. Mousetraps, Ant traps & cockroach magnets
70. Paper plates/cups/utensils (stock up, folks)
71. Baby wipes, oils, waterless & Antibacterial soap
72. Rain gear, rubberized boots, etc.
73. Shaving supplies
74. Hand pumps & siphons (for water and for fuels)
75. Soysauce, vinegar, bullions/gravy/soupbase
76. Boy Scout Handbook
77. Chocolate/Cocoa/Tang/Punch (water enhancers)
78. “Survival-in-a-Can”
79. Woolen clothing, scarves/ear-muffs/mittens
80. Reading glasses
81. Window Insulation Kit
82. Graham crackers, saltines, pretzels, Trail mix/Jerky
83. Popcorn, Peanut Butter, Nuts
84. Socks, Underwear, T-shirts, etc. (extras)
85. Lumber (all types)
86. Wagons & carts (for transport to and from)
87. Cots & Inflatable mattress’s
88. Gloves: Work/warming/gardening, etc.
89. Lantern Hangers
90. Screen Patches, glue, nails, screws,, nuts & bolts
91. Teas
92. Coffee
93. Cigarettes
94. Wine/Liquors (for bribes, medicinal, etc,)
95. Paraffin wax
96. Glue, nails, nuts, bolts, screws, etc.
97. Chewing gum/candies
98. Atomizers (for cooling/bathing)
99. Hats & cotton neckerchiefs
100. Goats/chickens
Thank you. This list has been out there for a while, but it too needs some fine tuning. It is another good start.

89. Lantern Hangers? I think we've seen some in some people's cabin photos, but I have never seen one in person.
93. I was thinking of cigarettes today when I was picking up cigarette butts at a dog park. Ugh! I will never stock cigarettes or any kind of tobacco because I don't smoke and do not know anyone close who does. I am sure they would make a good barter item, but doesn't tobacco go stale fairly quickly? A SHTF situation might be a great time to quit! Easy for me to say!

Thank you. This list has been out there for a while, but it too needs some fine tuning. It is another good start.

89. Lantern Hangers? I think we've seen some in some people's cabin photos, but I have never seen one in person.
93. I was thinking of cigarettes today when I was picking up cigarette butts at a dog park. Ugh! I will never stock cigarettes or any kind of tobacco because I don't smoke and do not know anyone close who does. I am sure they would make a good barter item, but doesn't tobacco go stale fairly quickly? A SHTF situation might be a great time to quit! Easy for me to say!

Good point about the lantern hangers, I never really paid any attention to that one. I'm not even sure where you'd find them to buy, maybe Amazon, IDK.

I do smoke, but I won't stock up beyond a carton at a time. I can't quit on my own, but when they run out & can't get more.......I'll have no choice.

This list is on my mind and I have been working on it. I think it could be a book before I am done! I will try to update my original post and date the update, if I am able to, but not every day, but sometime in the near future.

I went through my preparedness books, and pulled out some which have lists in them. Peggy Layton's "Food Storage 101" has food lists in it. It is organized a little differently, but am getting more ideas from there.

@goshengirl , I am adding frozen vegetables to the list. Broccoli, cabbage, carrots, cauliflower, celery, green beans, peas, corn, chopped onions, diced green peppers, squash, mixed vegetables, green chilis, hashbrowns, potato dices. Can you or anyone else think of any other vegetables to add? I have added canned turnips.

Can you or anyone else think of any other vegetables to add?
I'm not very creative with vegetables, so no, I can't think of any others - you've got mine.

Well, with regard to potatoes, I've also got tater tots and waffle fries in the freezer. But those start to go towards convenience foods rather than staples. Because once a person starts down that path, it would be hard to know where to stop. "To include pizza rolls or not to include pizza rolls, that is the question." (Just kidding! 😁 )

I'm not very creative with vegetables, so no, I can't think of any others - you've got mine.

Well, with regard to potatoes, I've also got tater tots and waffle fries in the freezer. But those start to go towards convenience foods rather than staples. Because once a person starts down that path, it would be hard to know where to stop. "To include pizza rolls or not to include pizza rolls, that is the question." (Just kidding! 😁 )
Oh, you are so right! This could end up being the entire grocery store inventory! It would end up being a nightmare for me.

Oh, you are so right! This could end up being the entire grocery store inventory! It would end up being a nightmare for me.
Absolutely.
I think some convenience foods can be important to stock up on, too - but that's a specific family/individual thing. People would have to add their own to their own lists.

For example, there have been a number of times when having a frozen pizza on hand has been a lifesaver. Emergencies happen, and sometimes it's all I (or my husband, or my kids) can do to get a pizza in the oven and we're so appreciative to be able to do that and get everyone fed. So I have learned to keep a frozen pizza or two in the freezer. But someone else's "oops, we had an emergency" convenience food might be something else, so it's a personal thing.

Just thinking out loud - there could be a space on the list for people to add some of their own convenience foods, with a reference in the guideline to being selective. BUT, I also don't see that as necessary - I'm just brainstorming out loud.

I just saw this list, and thought I would share it. Maybe you add a new section for long term staples. Most of these don't have a shelf life. The list was originally titled 15 Items Preppers Should Hoard.

1. Toilet Paper
2. Duck Tape
3. Fire - lighters, matches -all types
4. Batteries
5. Lighting - flashlights, lanterns, headlamps
6. Candles
7. Bleach
8. Plastic Bags - Large Contractor Bags - grocery bags
9. Tarps
10. Socks
11. Salt
12. Seeds
13. Propane
14. Kerosene and oil lanterns - kerosene, lamp oil
15. Cordage - paracord, rope, bankline

Thank you for the list @Weedygarden. Its downloaded as a PDF, and there's items I can't get on it that I would change, and adjust measurements- is there a word doc or excel one available?
You are talking about the original pdf that I shared? I don't think we can post word or excel documents here, but we can post pdf's, which is why I posted that. I can send it to you in an email, if you message your email address to me.

You can convert it to text and post it or as a table and import the table.

You are talking about the original pdf that I shared? I don't think we can post word or excel documents here, but we can post pdf's, which is why I posted that. I can send it to you in an email, if you message your email address to me.
I'll do that, thanks very much!

Latest posts

Back