Preparing for a Parallel Society

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Parallel societies do exist. Talkeetna, Alaska is a good example. I recall reading an article that claimed Talkeetna had among the highest per capita percent of the population with a Ph.D or higher education. The article pointed out that all were highly educated drop outs from society. Of course, this is the same little village that has had a cat at their elected mayor for decades. Another parallel society has formed in Homer, Alaska formed by “end of the roaders.” These were people from the 1970s, plus or minus a decade, who drove north to Alaska until they ran out of road. Lots of good books about this culture too.

I live in a society (small city of nine humans and 38 Grizzly Bears) located in center of eight "Million" acre National Forest. 23 years here and I have only meet half of the other people in the city. Met my nearest neighbor (face to face) once in 23 years. She does call now and then to state that she just chased a Grizzly out of her yard, and is sorry, but it is heading towards me.

Our society seems to revolve around the Grizzly Bears. Seems even more so, now that my neighbor got eaten last year by two bears.

Latest posts

Back