Prepping For Winter

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know thus is a small one but, with all the holidays coming, Hit the afterward sales and pick up cheap candles. I have boxes of them. Christmas is usually the best.

I get Hanukkah candles for pennies at the grocery store every year.

I had all our propane tanks fill a couple months ago and purchased 2 slightly larger ones for the trailer. Spoke with the gas guy yesterday who said that was a smart move. Places in ND are short on help to make deliveries so folks are trying to run off little tanks.

Computer went out on the F-250 and we lost $ wheel drive. I told my mechanic to fix it and he said the computer was no longer available. I asked him to make it permanent 4X4 if he could. We now have our snow plow working. It never leaves the property so so low lock is fine.

This week I pulled my cool weather plants, they are cool weather crops not ICE weather crops. ;)

I got the oldest of my indoor growing stations up, swapping out some of the larger LED grid type grow lights with lower wattage bar type LED grow lights. The two growing stations combined now draw about 600 watts, so I can power them completely off my small solar and battery bank, right now I only have Laurel bushes (bay leaves) and some flowers, but I will be starting some lettuce and Bucket carrots soon... I do have carrots, spinach, and lettuce already growing in my outdoor covered raised beds so it is not like there is a super rush....

Because I have been increasing my food storage this year, I had to convert the very bottom shelf on each unit to water storage, so now each growing station also holds about 26 gallons of water. I ended up putting canned foods where that part of my water supply used to be....

On winter prepps, I did bring in a couple hundred pounds of ICE melt, I would prefer not to use it but the wife cannot afford any slips, she walks to the car using a cane and my assistance, but anything slippery really brings her to a stop. Also pre-positioned the snow blower (test started) and the snow shovels.

I also have fresh generator fuel and some wood ready to feed the fire place if needed.

This week I pulled my cool weather plants, they are cool weather crops not ICE weather crops. ;)

I got the oldest of my indoor growing stations up, swapping out some of the larger LED grid type grow lights with lower wattage bar type LED grow lights. The two growing stations combined now draw about 600 watts, so I can power them completely off my small solar and battery bank, right now I only have Laurel bushes (bay leaves) and some flowers, but I will be starting some lettuce and Bucket carrots soon... I do have carrots, spinach, and lettuce already growing in my outdoor covered raised beds so it is not like there is a super rush....

Because I have been increasing my food storage this year, I had to convert the very bottom shelf on each unit to water storage, so now each growing station also holds about 26 gallons of water. I ended up putting canned foods where that part of my water supply used to be....

On winter prepps, I did bring in a couple hundred pounds of ICE melt, I would prefer not to use it but the wife cannot afford any slips, she walks to the car using a cane and my assistance, but anything slippery really brings her to a stop. Also pre-positioned the snow blower (test started) and the snow shovels.

I also have fresh generator fuel and some wood ready to feed the fire place if needed.
Bring on winter, you are ready!!❄️❄️❄️

It sounds like a good story here......spill it Neb!;)
The Princess has always been a driven person never letting a moment go to waste. In the early days of learning to cook for the family she often tried to do too many other things at the same time. So dinner often ended up a little over done.

She has gotten a lot better and rarely burns food these days. But she did buy herself a new dryer with an extended warranty. She noticed a funny smell so i told her to get it serviced under warranty. The service tech found the bottom of the dryer had never been cleaned and the lint had caught fire. She takes care of that now.

Her most recent princineration involved what I think were cinnamon buns and what happens when she mashes the broil button instead bake.

20201023_221855.jpg

But to be fair to her the worst was mine. She left me home alone for the weekend and I decided I was in the mood for chocolate chip cookie bars and made a double batch. I mixed up baking soda and baking powder. It didn't take long before the dough has risen over the edge of the pan onto the bottom of the oven and started to pour out on to the floor.

I was waving the backdoor trying to clear the smoke when my great uncle stuck his out the door and shook his head as the smoke billowed out. I am only allowed to put casserole in the oven and fry bacon to this day.

Ben

. . .medium size bubble, spray window with some water and press bubble side to the glass. the bubble wrap usually stays up all winter. if it gets loose, just spray window with water gaain and put it back up. or just use a bit of tape. inb the spring i pull them off, roll them up and store in a hefty bag and just keep reusing them. every year . . .

It absolutely does help enormously to insulate the windows with bubble wrap. Years ago I had a big old house with high ceilings and drafty windows. My best friend in winter was the shrink wrap.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Duck-Bra...tion-Kit-Clear-5-Pack-62-in-x-210-in/17510819

Instead of plastic, I use moving blankets on the patio door sized windows. Much thicker and better insulating than plastic. I just use thumb tacks through the blanket into the window frame.

If you have gaps/cracks, check out a product called Seal & Peal. It's applied using a caulk gun. In the spring, you just peal it back off and it leaves no residue. It's kind of like the rubber stuff they use to hold credit cards to the paper when mailing. A word of caution though, if you use it around a door you don't plan on using in the winter, be advised that the door is now caulked shut and the caulk will need removed for egress in case of an emergency.

Latest posts

Back