Preserving flour for long-term storage - how do you?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goshengirl

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I know the best way to preserve flour is to preserve the wheat berries and grind them into flour as needed.

But I'd like to store flour as well. I know it won't be a super long-term storage, but I think there are ways to extend the life of flour beyond the "best by" date on the bag.

Can you all please tell me how you store your flour for such purposes? I get so confused about whether or not to use an oxygen absorber - not supposed to with whole wheat flour, but what about white bread flour?

I'd really love to know the methods that people here use. Thank you!

I store the berries and grind it. But. . . before I had a grinder, I would get a bag of flour that comes in the thick paper type bags then put it in a ziplock freezer bag with no air (I'm sure you could seal-a-meal if in the paper bag) then date it and put it in the freezer. I'm not sure of how much longer it keeps this way but at least seemed to extend the freshness.

Honestly, the 'flour expires' thing: I don't believe it. Keep it safe from moisture, bugs, and mice and you're good. I don't think there's much oil in AP flour to cause rancidity, but oxygen is what causes the rancidity so seal it good from oxygen--maybe throw an oxygen absorber in there and you'll be fine.

Even if it tastes a little off, it's better than starving.

Last edited:
I vacuum seal the bags and store in a plastic tub. I also have wheat berries and a mill and use that for my whole wheat flour.

I freeze the bags for a week then let them sit at room temp for a week, then vacuum seal the whole bag in a foodsaver bag. (this is 5# bags not the huge bags. those you would have to do like the others said and use jars)
The only thing you have to do when using it is use a sifter to break it up well.
It gets clumpy when you open the bag I've found.
I'm using some now from 3 years ago. Smells just fine and works the same as new.

Latest posts

Back