Preserving with tallow

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

randyt

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I came across a method to preserve meat, well known method. I've heard of this with sausage but in this case beef. Take beef tallow and if is available add 25 percent hog lard. Fry your beef patties to well done. Take a food grade bucket and pour a inch of tallow on the bottom. Place your beef patties on the grease without them touching one another.. Then add a layer of grease. Keep going until bucket is full.

I have heard of this method with sausage patties and lard but this is the first time I've heard of using a bucket, beef and tallow

This is what my FIL said they did when he was a kid. He said that they would cook the meat- not necessarily patties, but slices and kept it in a barrel in the basement. He said they coordinated with neighbors. They would butcher, preserve what fit in their barrel (and ate fresh) then shared with the neighbors. Then a neighbor would do the same and share with them and they all made it through the winter.

Ironically, I posted my second every youtube video on this last week. Not to toot my own horn.....

But yes, its called Confit, I use it for keeping meat for camping without needing a cooler:

You can also do it with fish, using Ghee instead of tallow.

Latest posts

Back